Mattress replacement

karen Hoffmeister

Nov 6, 2021
My camper was stripped of all soft goods when I got it… no cushions, mattresses, dinette seats, curtains, nothing…
My question: Are air mattresses a good choice for a pop up? I can do upholstery no problem but, the cost of the foam is crazy… has anyone used air mattresses as a replacement mattress in their pop up?
Any pros or cons?
My pro is the price and availability my con is having to pump up and deflate each time… also the chip board bed base, thinking I would have to put either contact paper or some sort of pad to keep the rough chip board from puncturing the mattress
Found cusion source.com. they will cut and cover new cuhions for you.
Good luck.
K.H.

Dragonfly Lou

Mar 30, 2019
Oklahoma, USA
My camper was stripped of all soft goods when I got it… no cushions, mattresses, dinette seats, curtains, nothing…
My question: Are air mattresses a good choice for a pop up? I can do upholstery no problem but, the cost of the foam is crazy… has anyone used air mattresses as a replacement mattress in their pop up?
Any pros or cons?
My pro is the price and availability my con is having to pump up and deflate each time… also the chip board bed base, thinking I would have to put either contact paper or some sort of pad to keep the rough chip board from puncturing the mattress
It would depend on where and when you are camping, in cooler weather it will be colder. I use the foam floor blocks from harbor freight on top of the plywood even with a mattress and it provides a bit of cushion and insulation.

MApopupreno

Aug 16, 2020
My mattresses in a '97 Coleman Sun Ridge were overrun by mice when I got the camper. After thinking about air mattresses (cheap) or custom foam (expensive), I opted for the middle ground of using Ikea Queen size foam mattresses, about $120 each. They are slightly smaller than the platform size, just measure well so you don't go too big. Although you could easily cut the foam to fit if you do.

Darla

Aug 1, 2021
Any pros or cons?
Where are you located, Xjsport95? I have a clean, futon-like mattress (66x78) that came with our camper and that we replaced with foam. We're in northern California. You could come get it for free if you're close enough. If you put the interlocking foam tiles down between the plywood and the mattress, and put a memory foam pad on top, it should work. If I had tried the memory foam first we wouldn't have had to replace the mattress LOL.

Last edited:

TheBlurb

Mar 28, 2019
Any pros or cons?
I own a pup partly to avoid the scourge of blow up mattresses. But if you’ve got em and finances are tight, it’s a good interim option, I’d say. Just more work at setup and takedown, of course. No way you’d get a pup closed properly with one inflated.

BuddedCamper

Apr 18, 2022
Our foam is now 26 years old, and not as firm as we'd like. We've now added the interlocking floor pads under the foam mattresses, which helps tremendously, but since we used to put the various poles under the mattresses for fold-down, we needed to find a new place for those, as we didn't want to create permanent dents in the pads!

Depending on your bunk size, air mattresses might not fit. They would be too long for our bunks.

That said, we extended our bed over the first bench, and now sleep with our heads over the hitch and our feet near the door. We were able to fit two twin air mattresses side by side in that space, and did not experience any leaks, but climbing onto them can be a chore. And you'd probably need the foam pads I mentioned above to protect the air mattress(es) from the metal retaining bar (if there is one). (We had ours over the foam when we did that, so didn't need to worry about that.)

So, the air mattress(es) might work, if they fit, but I would not depend upon them long term.

It occurs to me that a mattress topper over a couple layers of the interlocking foam floor pads might work well. I found them reasonably-priced at Harbor Freight, and cut them to fit the space. A couple strips of foam mounting tape should keep the upper layers in place. (I used a regular scissors to cut the floor mats to fit.)

Have you found a 3 or 4" memory foam mattress topper to be too soft to be a standard mattress replacement in the popup? Do those anti-fatigue mats add stiffness to the memory foam mattress?

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
Any pros or cons?
My wife ordered replacement foam mattresses, from Amazon, I think. If you want to know I will confirm.

Jul 20, 2014
Have you found a 3 or 4" memory foam mattress topper to be too soft to be a standard mattress replacement in the popup? Do those anti-fatigue mats add stiffness to the memory foam mattress?
I don't like memory foam for its softness and the way it forms around the body. Too hot for me.