May 2022 - what did you do for your camper?

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
New month, I hope more people are getting out camping from the cooler climates.

It's still early, not really past sunrise here, so not much done for me. I added a couple of items to the "don't forget" stack, we leave at the end of the week. Walked past the trailer on the way to checking out the bee swarm lodged in a tree in our yard. [Very cool to watch it form late yesterday afternoon. A beekeeper is coming today to rescue it.]

Plans for today are to add a bit more to the fridge. The freezer is just about full, so we have almost all our suppers for 2 weeks packed, plus some add-ons for breakfast - and, of course, ice cream. I need to decide which camp chairs are going, etc.

and, for those who need it - battery charge and/or maintenance reminder

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Reading about all this planning got me to thinking I might need to do the same. After a two-week delay we're planning on leaving Friday for our second trip of 2022. I have a couple small projects lined out but still need to gather the tools and needed supplies.

We store the camper about 65 miles from home so I need to take care of these things at the campground. Normally, I tend to gather things together on the way out the door, which sometimes leads to forgetting things. I have yard work to do today so I'm going to get everything together while I'm outside in the get-something-done mode. ;)

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Wow, you’re on top of this @kitphantom! Will be making up my bed, packing clothes and filling my fresh tank today…. Got the truck packed/ somewhat organized yesterday. Heading out Thursday for this season’s first outing!
We usually try to get things mostly ready the weekend before we leave. However, it does sometimes seem a little scary, even with all our lists, etc. It's much easier these days with the TT, since I can add an item or two as I get to them. We still have a couple of stacks of last minute totes, but not as many as in tent or popup days.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
The black tank drain is leaking again at the seam where the valve is. This is what we had the shop replace in January, and then repair last in March or April. It had not leaked again until mid-afternoon today, after dumping it yesterday. Not very happy, since we had the shop do the replacement, to avoid issues friends had with leaking afterwards when they did it themselves - maybe it isn't all that uncommon. It has always been a slow drip. We cleaned it all with alcohol and have put silicone cualk on the seam, we can see where the leak muse be. That slowed it to a really slow drip. We'll probably add another layer, when it isn't as hot, it's right in the afternoon sun, so the silicon may be heeding gravity while soft as much as not working.
Finished packing food in the fridge and freezer, so just will have last minute things to add, as well as set food from the freezer to the fridge for the weekend, so we can reheat our meals. We have very little left to do for the trip itself, just keeping track of the last minute things. Oil change on the truck Wednesday.

BikeNFish

Super Active Member
Apr 24, 2017
Maplewood, MN
@BikeNFish - wondering if you have a link to the towel holder… been looking for a decent one but haven’t felt like buying without some reassurance….
THIS is the one I bought. It was a toss up between this one and a very similar magnetic one that would attach to the stove vent hood. I finally went with this one because I didn't want the paper towel holder near the stove.

BikeNFish

Super Active Member
Apr 24, 2017
Maplewood, MN
Thanks! I came to that same realization when I was about ready to purchase one last year…. Had a vision of the tail dangling down over a burner… figured I didn’t need any help in the “bad idea” department lol
Our popup had a hanging shelf over the stove that we added a paper towel holder to. We had a close call with that placement and learned our lesson not to hang the towels anywhere near the stove.

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
I left for my first camping trip of the year in April and returned in May. Everything worked great. All the prep stuff I did in the off season was great
A few to-do list items
Better 12V power outlets behind the television
An aux cord for my bluetooth adapter for the stereo
Install a Roku/streaming box of some sort
Update the firmware and wiring for my SeeLevel RV-C alert display

Asonnenshine

May 25, 2021
Hi I’m a newbie that bought a popup last year. Took a few trips last season and figured out what repairs were needed. I’m happy to report that I just spent the last week fixing everything. Resealed the roof, replaced rotten wood blocks, CD player works now, replaced water pump, new tires, new gasket kit for toilet, and ordered a new perimeter bulb seal. Thanks to all those YouTube videos! Got a few trips lined up this season, looking forward to smooth sailing.