Mosquitos

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
“Mosquitoes appear to use odors to help them distinguish what is nearby, like a host to bite.” Mosquitoes can smell CO2, the air we exhale...that scent stimulates the eyes to scan for specific colors and other visual patterns, which are associated with a potential host, and head to them,” Riffell added. In the experiment, when the CO2 was sprayed, the mosquitoes few toward dots that were colored red, orange, black, or pink, and would ignore the dots colored green, blue, or purple. In further tests... The results from the study suggested that the mosquitoes found warmer colors more appealing than cooler colors."

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
I’ve heard about colors affecting mosquitoes before. I use Thermacell products when camping or at an outside event. They work very well. I have 3 different models. Costco now sells their products. I was lucky last fall and bought a new Thermacell for $32 (regularly $54.99 online) in store at Costco. Their online prices include shipping so it’s always cheaper to buy in store versus online. Plus Costco sometimes uses an *asterisk on their price tag indicating it as a sellout price which is why I only paid $32.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Very interesting, I heard they responded to different colors but for some reason I thought the color amber and red was the better color to use around them. Hence the reason they started using amber lights as the porch light on a camper. It makes since though that they would fly towards those colors now that I think about it. As mammals are on those color scales. Perhaps it is other night bugs that are less sensitive to the amber/red lights. Well bummer. I guess my red light wasn’t working as well as I thought it was.

AndreD

Jul 24, 2020
Great White North
Very interesting, I heard they responded to different colors but for some reason I thought the color amber and red was the better color to use around them. Hence the reason they started using amber lights as the porch light on a camper. It makes since though that they would fly towards those colors now that I think about it. As mammals are on those color scales. Perhaps it is other night bugs that are less sensitive to the amber/red lights. Well bummer. I guess my red light wasn’t working as well as I thought it was.
Red light maintains your natural night vision and doesn’t have as large an effect on neighbours as a result. I wonder if that was part of their consideration?

Tarkus

Aug 15, 2021
Wyoming
Sounds like a market for a mosquito zapper that incorporates a slow heated CO2 leak with a red light to attract them life sapping buggers.

UPDATE: Just found this on Amazon...(I tried to insert link, but that function does not seem to work)

Mega-Catch Outdoor Mosquito Trap, Ultra Pro 900 Series, Perfect for Yard & Patio, Covers 1.5 Acres, Features Mosquito Led Light​

I just need a fatter wallet.

Last edited:

DiamondGirl

Jul 2, 2016
AZ
For mosquito haters and sufferers…

Thermacell LIV is a new model that significantly covers a lot more footage/area. A family member in NC is ordering one for their backyard. I rarely hang out outside at home because it’s usually too hot to do so. We are reaching 90 degrees this week. And it’s only the first week of March. Lol.

It’s not cheap but I’m sure many will buy it just to stave off those pesky flying insects.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I believe the amber and red lights attract fewer insects in general, like moths and other nocturnal critters that people don't want in their popups.

For the most fun, hang up a white sheet and shine a black light on it. Then you'll start to get an idea how outnumbered by very strange creatures you actually are. (Also a great way to start an insect collection.)

TSS

Jan 17, 2022
NW Georgia
“Mosquitoes appear to use odors to help them distinguish what is nearby, like a host to bite.” Mosquitoes can smell CO2, the air we exhale...that scent stimulates the eyes to scan for specific colors and other visual patterns, which are associated with a potential host, and head to them,” Riffell added. In the experiment, when the CO2 was sprayed, the mosquitoes few toward dots that were colored red, orange, black, or pink, and would ignore the dots colored green, blue, or purple. In further tests... The results from the study suggested that the mosquitoes found warmer colors more appealing than cooler colors."

The thermocell works! We also use a yard guard spray it helps. Christmas at Jekyll island the gnats were unreal. Plan to add screen room this spring. Btw you should save the thermocell pads and refresh them. Online recipes.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
I’ve heard about colors affecting mosquitoes before. I use Thermacell products when camping or at an outside event. They work very well. I have 3 different models. Costco now sells their products. I was lucky last fall and bought a new Thermacell for $32 (regularly $54.99 online) in store at Costco. Their online prices include shipping so it’s always cheaper to buy in store versus online. Plus Costco sometimes uses an *asterisk on their price tag indicating it as a sellout price which is why I only paid $32.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]
We just picked up a Thermacell at wally world, with extra pads and cartridges, $40. Total. I don't really want to say I can't wait to try them out. But...you know, I hope that it works well!

DiamondGirl

Jul 2, 2016
AZ
@Susan Premo… I hope it works for you. I like to keep one by the outside door. It helps to keep them outside of the Trailer.

I also keep one next to me. Since I’m especially delicious to them. Lol

Happy Camping…[put&hy]