Music and Camping?

ThroughLiner

Aug 30, 2022
Well I guess this is why I almost never camp in campgrounds!

Even when boondocking, I generally don't allow recorded music. We're out there to unplug and hear the wind/rain/animals. The exception is if we're way back of beyond and have no neighbors for miles... we may throw a disco party if the mood strikes.

If you must listen to recorded music while camping near others... use earbuds or keep it so low that it can't be heard beyond about 15 feet. Otherwise stay home.

GaWalker

Nov 30, 2017
The Great State of Georgia
Didn't the OP say, "I thought that's what headphones were for"? Or do you mean headphones for those of us who don't want to hear what others are blasting? That rather defeats the purpose of hearing the wind and the birds.

It's sad that today's world makes it sometimes dangerous to let others know when their sounds are bothering us...
Hmmmm - I guess I missed that. I guess I was too upset from coming back from two trips in a row where the neighbors played music a a low level - you know the kind that doesn't leave their site but I somehow hear.

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada
We prefer Provincial Parks (Assuming similar to State Parks) and always try to book in the radio free zones if available.
When we can’t get radio free, I appreciate those who keep their radio levels down. I’m ok if it’s a bit audible through the day, but not at levels where it’s dominating my ears on site, and especially not at night/quiet time.

Sep 25, 2021
We have run into loud music a few times but generally it's not a problem, we camp in provincial and national parks a lot. When we have run into it's it's been at privately run campgrounds where there's no oversight. We've witnessed campers getting kicked out of national parks here for being too loud. I do also pack ear plugs but mainly because of crows cawing me awake when the sun comes up. What bugs me more than music is people on their phones having a conversation at top freaking volume, ESPECIALLY if they are on speaker. We camped beside someone who did that one entire weekend talking to his family. It was bizarre.

unclemark

Overland Park, KS
May 15, 2014
Overland Park, KS
I will turn on a fan to "dampen" neighbor's conversations. Drowning out with music seems to be raising the stakes.
The idea is to muffle the conversations so I don't feel like an eavesdropper or suddenly yell out, ""Yes dear, a beer sounds great" because I've mistaken the neighbor lady's voice for my wife's. Talk about raising the stakes! Generally, the sound of a motor is my least-preferred sound, so the fan is not my choice.