My tow rig...

sargant

Sep 19, 2022
March 2016 the maiden voyage. Bought the camper on Xmas 2015 and was finally able to take it out. This picture was actually at the shop immediately after said trip as sadly I discovered a serious problem and the shop had to fix it so I could get back on the road. $650 later she was finally safe to drive. This is still the same setup today.
What happened? Problem with the popup or your tv?

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
What happened? Problem with the popup or your tv?
Problem with the popup. I first noticed the problem when I got to camp and discovered the hubs burning hot like you touch them you burn your hand. Turned out the entire hub assembly on both sides were rust buckets and the breaks just couldn't release when called to. When I bought it the seller claimed it was garage kept and the camper was recently inspected, the state inspection sticker reflected that so I assumed all was road safe when I bought it. According to the shop I was lucky it didn't catch fire driving it home the first time. Lesson learned.

Brian Clancy

Aug 23, 2021
Problem with the popup. I first noticed the problem when I got to camp and discovered the hubs burning hot like you touch them you burn your hand. Turned out the entire hub assembly on both sides were rust buckets and the breaks just couldn't release when called to. When I bought it the seller claimed it was garage kept and the camper was recently inspected, the state inspection sticker reflected that so I assumed all was road safe when I bought it. According to the shop I was lucky it didn't catch fire driving it home the first time. Lesson learned.
You didn't understand "... In the tall weeds out behind the GARAGE is where it was KEPT for years."

That's particularly egregious for a seller. But, in the absence of actual trailer maintenance receipts, you HAVE to have the hubs inspected/repacked before putting a used trailer into service. I'd be interested in knowing what the tires looked like..

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Here's mine. 1996 Ford F-150, straight six 5-speed pulling a 2001 Coleman Utah. Does OK, no mountain climbing for me (or if I do, gotta go down to 4th or 3rd!).

View attachment 86978
Buzzin half dozen! I had an 85 f150 with the same 300 cu block. Towed 8000lbs worth of trailer and steel up a parking garage. Couldn’t get it to speed on the highway, flashers on going up hills but boy did it climb the ramps in the garage in granny low. Sounded like an angry UPS truck. That truck may as well have been named “timex” as it took a licking and kept on ticking.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Buzzin half dozen! I had an 85 f150 with the same 300 cu block. Towed 8000lbs worth of trailer and steel up a parking garage. Couldn’t get it to speed on the highway, flashers on going up hills but boy did it climb the ramps in the garage in granny low. Sounded like an angry UPS truck. That truck may as well have been named “timex” as it took a licking and kept on ticking.

Those 300 straight sixes had lots of torque. You could pull tree stumps.

karen Hoffmeister

Nov 6, 2021
Once a year is a must to have the wheel bearings inspected and re packed with grease.
Then this issue should go away. Also. Just as you get a TV inspection done every year, that vehicle will need the wheel bearings packed also.

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
I don't believe either trailer bearings nor TV bearings need to be repacked annually.
Every year may be excessive, though years have nothing to do with miles traveled, and at what load.

I had my bearing inspected last year and found that for one wheel they were signs of scoring that would eventually lead to failure. Replaced, packed, good to go. That was after six years of use, approximately 4x-6x/year, distances of 18 to 720 miles per trip. Probably averaging 400 miles per trip. So I had approximately 10000 to 15000 miles on the bearings.

I guess this does suggest that for all the questions we get around "Is it ok to tow to a destination 1000 miles away?" the answer really ought to be yes. Trailers are made to be towed, and a few thousand miles more on the trailer shouldn't matter much as long as the tires, brakes, bearings, and suspension are maintained.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
I have had good luck with bearings. I have a 1976 trailer with the original bearings. I hand packed them in 1993. The past 30 years I have put a squirt of grease in them every year or so via Bearing Buddies. I have a 1985 trailer that gets about the same treatment. I am on about the 5 year plan servicing my TT. I can't or won't use Bearing Buddies on it because it has brakes.

I have never lost a wheel bearing on a vehicle. Last summer, I did the first front end bearing job on one of my TV out of precaution after 28 years and 247k miles of driving. Up until then, they had never been repacked. I went ahead and replaced them. I believe I wasted money. About all they needed was cleaned and repacked

The secret to never having a trailer bearing failure on the road is to buy bearings, seals, grease, and carry them plus a pile of tools in your TV. You will never have a bearing failure. It's worked for me for years.

Last edited:

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
Those 300-6 are beasts! I'm in the same boat, if I am going up any hills, or the transmission won't stay in lockup in 4th gear, i put it in 3rd. Really with the 4L60e's was a 5 speed, there needs to be another gear between 2nd & 3rd.
4.10's in the rear and it will stay locked in 4th for most things in the U.S... though your mileage may suffer!

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
I just bought this used Starcraft 1404 and will be pulling it with my Honda Element until I find something else. It seems to be working out so far. Someone suggested putting Sumo Springs on my Element to help with the weight.
Love that e camper!

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
I have had good luck with bearings. I have a 1976 trailer with the original bearings. I hand packed them in 1993. The past 30 years I have put a squirt of grease in them every year or so via Bearing Buddies. I have a 1985 trailer that gets about the same treatment. I am on about the 5 year plan servicing my TT. I can't or won't use Bearing Buddies on it because it has brakes.

I have never lost a wheel bearing on a vehicle. Last summer, I did the first front end bearing job on one of my TV out of precaution after 28 years and 247k miles of driving. Up until then, they had never been repacked. I went ahead and replaced them. I believe I wasted money. About all they needed was cleaned and repacked

The secret to never having a trailer bearing failure on the road is to buy bearings, seals, grease, and carry them plus a pile of tools in your TV. You will never have a bearing failure. It's worked for me for years.
All things considered, for the age and mileage that the trailer sees, they seem to be more problematic than bearings for cars. I guess that depends on the car, but I haven't worked on a car with repackable bearings in a long time... last one might have been my old mustang. Wouldn't cartridge bearings (like whats used in modern vehicles) be more reliable?

craig heaton

Jan 26, 2021
Two tow vehicles for us, 2019 Dodge Durango Citadel with the 5.7l Hemi and a 2022 Chevrolet Colorado LT V6.

Attachments

• IMG_20220921_163051.jpg
    IMG_20220921_163051.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 5
  • PC060248.JPG
    PC060248.JPG
    397.5 KB · Views: 5