New pop up owner

Foggyjr

May 22, 2022
Hello All,
Just bought a new to us 2015 Jayco 1007ud. My parents use to have a pop up and enjoyed exploring with it. Our kids are now old enough to take out and excited to begin camping again (3 kids).

Looking forward to getting tips, seeing what others have done, etc.

For now I'm just trying to find available campsites on a weekend at any state or national park!

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
Welcome to the PUP life. Congratulations.

My first PUP was a Jayco 1007. It was a great intro PUP. However, as only a family of four, we did outgrow it.

A thing or two we picked up along the way how to deal with giving kids their own space. As they approached being teenagers (boy and girl), this became more challenging. Here are some pictures of how we did that.

Attempt #1: Shower curtain safety pinned up at the right height so they didn't roll around and pull it off the hooks.
144788499.ldYRl08X.BunkendDivider2.jpg

Attempt #2: 3-tier storage shelves going down the middle of the bed. This worked drastically better as it provided more of a hard wall between them AND provided additional storage. That was really helpful during longer trips. These storage units rode on the floor of the PUP but that was a high wall PUP. They might not stand up in a standard wall PUP like the 1007. Drawers opened to whichever side had that kid's goodies inside.
144788498.y5eC3pMe.BunkendDivider1.jpg

Other things I did was to install a hidden kill switch for the radio so little hands wouldn't be tempted to turn it on. They lost interest in it really quickly after that.

More storage ideas - in fact these are the ones I moved to the kids' bunk end shown above.
144788502.Iik0eqfX.CounterStorage2.jpg

There were a lot of "wasted space" areas in the 1007. I unscrewed and viewed every spot and added a lot of storage inside some closed off cabinets. I'm sure the floorplans are different from the years but Jayco sure left some space that could be used. Now, let me be clear that most of those closed off areas contained lift cables or mechanical/electrical/plumbing so I had to build covers and other things to fence off those items from stuff moving around inside. For a series of places I opened up, look at my photo website for ideas.

Anyway, get the family in the outdoors and make memories. Report back with stories and pictures.

And by all means, spend your first camping session in Camp Driveway. Be familiar with everything before hitting the camp grounds.

Foggyjr

May 22, 2022
Definitely some great ideas! For us my wife loves the minivan and will never drive a suv. I need the gas mileage of a car for commute so a popup was only real choice. I figured the 1007 or 1200 was best shot of not outgrowing due to two tables for eating if rains and more sleeping room since they convert. I'm sure it will never be enough room once teenagers. Growing up we had 6 kids and parents in one. All boys though so easier to share. We usually brought a 2-4 person tent and if older ones wanted space and not raining g would pitch it too. Although by the time I was 16 I stopped camping with them and stayed home due to baseball. I'm surprised at the wasted space as well in the camper. I'm even debating pulling out fridge and the drop down sink/cook top counter. Would give more floor space when packed up and could put shelves on the counter. I doubt we would use fridge or sink. It didn't have privacy curtains so those are on the list to make for the bunks and the table with legs is warped so thinking of making one. Otherwise it's in pretty good shape. We already did a driveway campout. Reserved some campsites for June and July.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Welcome from your neighbor in Northern Virginia. Many years ago I had an old Jayco 1006. Sadly age caught up to her and realized it was cheaper to upgrade than fix her. If Possible, do a camp driveway with your popup so You can get to know everything about it and how everything runs beforehand and know what you might have forgotten. Unfortunately after Covid finding weekends campsites are way more of a challenge now without months in advance reservations so best to search now. You might be able to grab a cancellation Of if your not picky about camping with utilities that may open your options a little. good luck and who knows we may bump into each other somewhere.

Foggyjr

May 22, 2022
Welcome from your neighbor in Northern Virginia. Many years ago I had an old Jayco 1006. Sadly age caught up to her and realized it was cheaper to upgrade than fix her. If Possible, do a camp driveway with your popup so You can get to know everything about it and how everything runs beforehand and know what you might have forgotten. Unfortunately after Covid finding weekends campsites are way more of a challenge now without months in advance reservations so best to search now. You might be able to grab a cancellation Of if your not picky about camping with utilities that may open your options a little. good luck and who knows we may bump into each other somewhere.
Thanks. We were able to get two weekends so far at a non state/national park. I enjoy less primitive but still trying to get my wife more and more into it so bath houses are a must at least for this first year :)

Taxus812

Jun 1, 2010
Welcome. I have been here many years and loved all the good posts and help I have seen here. My kids favorite memories are all of times out with our popup. I envy you starting yours :)