new to brakes

thecakerator

Jul 3, 2008
MI
this hasn't happened yet for us yet, but hopefully we are going to be purchasing a trailblazer within the next month. We have a 1995 8' viking weighing in around 1800 pounds (hard to believe, but that is what the scale told us) and that is just the basics! No clothes, food, camping supplies, etc. Right now believe it or not we are towing with a 1995 grand am ... that is why we are hoping to get a trailblazer. Once we do have the trailblazer, are brakes something that we should consider installing? We are only camping locally for now, but once we get a better TV we will try expanding our horizons. Since we are so new to pop ups and trailblazers, we don't know if this is something we should seriously consider or not. Any help/tips/information that you can tell us we would appreciate.

1995 Viking 175SD
Pulled by our 1995 Grand Am
and a wing and a prayer!

suprz

may you never doubt yourself....
Feb 1, 2007
a lot of states require brakes on trailers over 1500lbs. so i would check with your state. but if your PUP didnt come from the factory with brakes, I am pretty sure it is gonna be expensive to have them installed. They are a good thing to have and they really help when you need to have to occasional panic stop. (usually because someone sees you pulling a trailer, and just pulls out anyways!!) The trailblazer will have no trouble pulling the trailer or stopping it. But if it were me and i could afford it, i would get the brakes installed.

1996 jeep cherokee 4x4
2002 flagstaff 228 AKA "cool runnings"
2008 spring rain rally survivor

Mr Zip

Jan 2, 2009
North Ridgeville Ohio
Cakerator- All I have to say is that Viking is a real nice PUP. Looks like it was and is well taken care of. Sweet.

Wow 1800 you would not think so.

Tom

2007 Rockwood 2280

thecakerator

Jul 3, 2008
MI
thank you suprz for your help .. we will look into our state laws and see what they require. We actually went down into Indiana from Michigan to purchase it but the lady said she came up from Indiana to Michigan to purchase it herself. So we don't know the entire history of the PUP just what she knows. Mr Zip, thanks so much! We found it on craigslist last year and ended up making a quick ( three hour each way ) trip down there and picked it up ... we were told it only weighed 950lbs and in fact, that is what the title says, but we decided to have it weighed once we got it back home to Michigan and the scales read a whopping 1820lbs!!! Now its time for a better TV!!

1995 Viking 175SD
and a wing and a prayer!

thecakerator

Jul 3, 2008
MI
hahaha well maybe we will do that this year!

1995 Viking 175SD
and a wing and a prayer!

awsandlin

Super Active Member
Mar 3, 2008
It is sort of amazing to have that much weight over the dry weight. You must have one very large Dutch Oven.

Allen
2004 Fleetwood Utah

96Rockwood

Mar 21, 2008
Whitmore Lake, MI
In michigan you do not need trailer brakes till the trailer weighs 3,500 lbs. So legally you are good. With the trail blazer I wouldn't worry about installing them, they are nice, to have though and they are not a hard install at all, assuming the flanges are on the axles all ready. It is mostly a buy the parts bolt on run wires and go. Pretty simple.

On the topic of brakes, I would install them myself. If you do not get the new truck, you could install them and put a controller in the GA and feel more comfortable and be able to take longer trips.

PM me if interested in what it takes to install the brakes. And my wife and I could offer to give you hand if need be putting them on. Well more me than her helping. I have installed electrice trailer brakes on my prievious boat trailer and replaced every component on our past pup's brakes. I am no stranger to electric brakes.

1978 Bendix Citation (Dodge Sportsman Chassis) The '96 PUP was less work.

cksteele

now where did i put that hot dog
Sep 3, 2008
bristol ct usa
I have towed without brakes and with and once i towed with brakes i would not live without them now. So if you have the money by all means put them in. And wow the grand am actually towes that wow. Just goes to show you how tough those cars are.

chuck

2008 palimino stampede hybrid
2005 chevy silverado

thecakerator

Jul 3, 2008
MI
awsandlin, we are to scared to even put a dutch oven in that camper, that might just push us over the edge! Rockwood, that is great information and thank you for the generous offer! If a new truck is not in our future, maybe we will install them on the GA so we can go exploring some better parks .. we are just waiting on another car to sell for us and then it will be a matter of finding the right trailblazer for us ... cksteele I think we may go the route of brakes once we figure out our car situation ... but yes, the GA really does pull that ... and it never overheats, never sways, of course, we are driving in pretty flat land but still! And yes, the GA is tuff .. we have tried letting her die several times but .. shes still kicking!

1995 Viking 175SD
and a wing and a prayer!

96Rockwood

Mar 21, 2008
Whitmore Lake, MI
^^No problem on the offer. Once the weather breaks it still stands. I love to work with my hands and soon I will be caught on my stuff. So working with my hands is fun and if you two need the help just let me know.

1978 Bendix Citation (Dodge Sportsman Chassis) The '96 PUP was less work.

irishmusic

Aug 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I have the same model Viking with an 8 foot box. Mine seems very light to me and I tow it with my Hyundai Santa Fe. Truth be told, I forget I am towing it!

I also tow a horse trailer with my Hyundai Santa Fe (rated for 3300 lbs towing). Trailer + horse = about 2200 lbs. It is a European made fiberglass trailer with inertia brakes (they only kick in if you are rapidly decelerating) and have no problems towing that. Just need to be careful going downhill, stopping downhill or stopping suddenly - same problems towing any large trailer.