North Carolina Hwy 80

RetAF

Apr 22, 2010
We are planning a camping trip to Black Mountain campground in the Pisgah national forest. We are travelling from the Charlotte area and all the map apps recommend using NC 80 from Marion to get over the Blue Ridge Parkway. I have plenty of towing capability with my Heavy Duty Expedition towing a 3500 lbs PUP, but that road sure looks like it might be a challenge. Anyone have any experience with NC Hwy 80?

no Fries

Mar 25, 2013
Fort Mill
We go up 485 to 85 to 74 out of FT Mill typically and pick up 26. Black Mt is a steep long grade. I'm usually more concerned coming down, but my TV is waayy overkill. What are you towing with?

no Fries

Mar 25, 2013
Fort Mill
Looking at 80 now on my laptop I see what you are saying but with your setup I wouldn't hesitate to take that trip. Actually I'm considering it for a future trip right now. LOL. Looks to be a "wide" two lane road from google maps. When do you plan on going I'd like to hear about it after you get back.

RetAF

Apr 22, 2010
Well, we drove up NC Hwy 80 on the way to Black Mountain campground. The road is VERY crooked and steep in places but our Expedition pulled our PUP up to the Blue Ridge Parkway without a problem. With that said, it is not a pleasant drive. The road has no shoulders and there are plenty of places you could get in trouble if you aren't always mindful of the trailer you're towing. We came back down on NC 226 (I've driven it several times) and it is a much better road. Still steep and crooked in places, but not too much. It had wide shoulders and pull offs for slower traffic.

Black Mountain campground is a beautiful and remote campground. No hookups but nice clean bath houses with hot showers. YouTube videos tell it all.

no Fries

Mar 25, 2013
Fort Mill
Thanks for the report. How were the temps?
We are headed to Saluda not near the elevation difference but I hope its cooler.

RetAF

Apr 22, 2010
Temps ran 76-82 for the max. 65-68 in the morning. A bit humid, but ok.