NOT Attempted propane tank theft (updated title)

wtyrrel

Mar 28, 2020
To all the RAMBOs' on here.
Nowhere in the USA can you shoot someone for stealing your stuff!
You or someone else MUST be in fear of their life, not fear of their car!
You can NOT fire a "warning shot", or shoot into the ground either.
Firing those shots will get you charged with "assault" and/or "illegal discharge of a weapon".
Warning shots are, as far as I know, generally illegal.
But fear for life is the qualification for justifiable homicide.
Defense of home, permanent or temporary (many states define by 'having a roof' which would include our popups) is a different can of worms and falls under 'Castle Doctrine' which varies by states and can include fear of life, but sometimes not.
Wikipedia gives a list of the applicable laws by states, if interested.

"Justifiable homicide[2] in self-defense which happens to occur inside one's home is distinct, as a matter of law, from castle doctrine because the mere occurrence of trespassing—and occasionally a subjective requirement of fear—is sufficient to invoke the castle doctrine. The burden of proof of fact is much less challenging than that of justifying a homicide in self-defense."

EdinMI

Apr 27, 2019
And the rest of the story;
Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property: (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
Doubtful a jury will deem a propane tank or car theft as needing deadly force.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
There are 50 states, 50 different cultures and 50 different sets of laws bound together loosely by the need for common defense. We just live in a state that believes an armed society is a polite society.

I said nothing about firing a warning shot. The sound of racking an 870 is better than a warning shot. Everyone knows that sound.

A criminal being interviewed said a homeowner was the most dangerous situation they fear. Police are taught what they can and can't do. The average homeowner doesn't receive said training and they can kill you. Fear sells.

There was a cartoon that said it all. One house had a sign in the front yard that said "my neighbor is a liberal that believes in gun control. I'm armed to the teeth"........... Don't be the weaker target.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
To all the RAMBOs' on here.
Nowhere in the USA can you shoot someone for stealing your stuff!
You or someone else MUST be in fear of their life, not fear of their car!
You can NOT fire a "warning shot", or shoot into the ground either.
Firing those shots will get you charged with "assault" and/or "illegal discharge of a weapon".
Why must you start a conversation with an insult? Try being polite on this forum.

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
Coming back from camping a few years ago, we had a similar situation to the OG. I have my battery on the rear bumper of the Pup. It's in a home made wooden box thats painted (by Mrs. Wrench no less) to look like a case of beer. People have actually flagged me down and mentioned that I left my beer on the back. The top of the box is held on with a piano hinge, and it flips over to be held closed by a flap latch and a small pad lock. We parked at a big box store on the way home to pick up a few things, and when we came out, the lid of the box was torn off, only being held on by the latch and pad lock. The battery was still inside. They were probably figuring they were gonna get some beer, but when they saw the battery in there, they took off.

1673934735336.jpeg

Pigpopper

East Texas
Dec 26, 2010
And the rest of the story;
Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property: (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
Doubtful a jury will deem a propane tank or car theft as needing deadly force.
It depends on what happens when you stop them from taking your stuff.

NMroamer

Super Active Member
Apr 21, 2016
Albuquerque NM
Coming back from camping a few years ago, we had a similar situation to the OG. I have my battery on the rear bumper of the Pup. It's in a home made wooden box thats painted (by Mrs. Wrench no less) to look like a case of beer. People have actually flagged me down and mentioned that I left my beer on the back. The top of the box is held on with a piano hinge, and it flips over to be held closed by a flap latch and a small pad lock. We parked at a big box store on the way home to pick up a few things, and when we came out, the lid of the box was torn off, only being held on by the latch and pad lock. The battery was still inside. They were probably figuring they were gonna get some beer, but when they saw the battery in there, they took off.

View attachment 89502
Bet it was a Walmart you stopped at.🙄