Not this again!

mjburt

Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
We took camper to the dealer as the electrical system was not working - we had to run off the outside power to get anything and the lights, outlets did not work. They said they rewired a light which was set up backwards, replaced the battery, etc. All working; could not verify as they took down the popup, which is a 2014 Jayco. But I figured we should be all set, right?

Well, all the regular outlets are working. When I look at the fuse panel, they are all OK. But, the lights and the round plugs were the fans hook up, there is nothing.
And, please don't suggest another visit to the dealer. They are the best of the bunch around here that are terrible according to the reviews. I have to take time off from work to bring it in and pick it up; it's nearly an hour away. Paid them a lot to get everything done in the first place.

Any suggestions? I don't know how to check the round plugs to tell if they are "live". Besides hiring a regular electrician I'm not sure where to start on this. Wanted to sell during the warm weather.

Andy6

Aug 3, 2022
Winnipeg, Canada
Do you have a safety cut out switch somewhere? If you do, its either somewhere near the countertop/sink/stove area, that would be activated when you flip over the counter. Or its connected to a switch up at the roof section near a back corner.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I would still check the fuse for the circuit. Some look good but when tested are bad. Sometimes if the power is on and you plug into the round hole it archs and blows the fuse. Also , is it just the celling lights? Check your safty switch and wireing harness going up through the outside of the tenting.

mjburt

Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
So, the battery was hooked up. Fuses appear to be OK. I looked for a safety switch as mentioned by Andy6 but I wasn't aware of such a switch and did not find it when I searched. It's the ceiling lights and the nearby switches that aren't working. Any thoughts?

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
You need to check the saftey switch first. If its only the overhead lights. If its not under say the swing up gally, some have them by the bunk ends. Also check the wiring harness that runs outside the camper, usally the drivers side rear of the pop up canvas.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I would still check the fuse for the circuit. Some look good but when tested are bad. Sometimes if the power is on and you plug into the round hole it archs and blows the fuse. Also , is it just the celling lights? Check your safty switch and wireing harness going up through the outside of the tenting.
Same as I said before. Check them.

Dec 3, 2017
Sjm9911 just gave good advice. Just yesterday, I raised my pup and everything but ceiling lights were working. I messed with fuses, checked the battery, and wasted time until I searched and found the wires going to the ceiling. I have a 2007 Fleetwood and the wires go up the left rear lift post. There is a plug connection just above the trailer body. It was scuffed from the bed being pushed in and out. I unplugged and plugged it back in and everything is normal. I wrapped the connection with electrical tape and will watch it when I stow the camper.

rdyck

Dec 3, 2017
Victoria, B.C.
Also check if there is a manual disconnect switch for the battery, and is the battery charged, there are things like the propane/carbon monoxide/smoke detector. that are always on, and will run down the battery if it isn't plugged in.

Heartlandex

Jun 21, 2022
I had the same issue and did some digging and found melted wires running to the top lights replaced and all is good. Check the roof support at the rear on the driver's side, that's where our wires where running

mjburt

Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
I have looked for the kill switch and haven't found it. I have a Jayco Jay series 1007. I don't see it in the area where the sink assembly folds down.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Check the bunk ends also. Some have them their. In lue of that contact jaco for your owners manual.