Oh Boy the rot....

JimintheNorth

Mar 6, 2021
So, I have a pop up we've used after buying it, but I bought it with almost no knowledge during the pandemic. Bad on me. We wanted one and they kept getting sold out from under us. My fault.

Thing is, I like it. It's quirky and cool. But while I've been working on it over time it still needs a lot of love. And the main love is replacing rotted press board. The worst parts are the roof sides (roof top seems solid still) and the corners of the tub. What I would like to do is remove the bracket that joins the two corners, so I can pull the sheet metal back and get to the wood.Do I just peel it off? Are there hidden screws? Any help is appreciated.

'tub'. IMG_2296.jpg

djmello99

Feb 19, 2013
Anthem, AZ
Do you have additional pics of the tub? I am rebuilding mine but now but would need to see where the panels go in to give you any advice.

Wingo

Jul 9, 2013
You have to peel back the center vinyl piece out of the two sided channel, there are screws under that. You might be able to reuse it, but a replacement is really cheap. The link is an example of what I'm talking about, there are a few different sizes available so you have to measure to see what you have.

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
Yep, pull off the vinyl insert from that trim piece, aka screw track to reveal most of the screws holding the panel on. As Wingo suggest, I always replace it with new anyway since it is off and has an expiration of only a few years before it starts to degrade from exposure.

You will probably have kind of fastener going across the top hiding under a top trim rail. Mine also had staples along the underside. Most all of the fasteners are going into wood underneath so even if you have to get medieval on it, it shouldn't be too bad. But manufacturers are different from each other. Try to pry and look as much as possible as you pull up the metal skin. You want to preserve that as much as possible. The wood underneath will serve as a template for rebuilding it but you can be a little aggressive with it. Take pictures all along for your own reference material.

Depending on what access ports, panel and spare tire carriers you have on the back, those may need to be removed first. Won't hurt to remove all lights and really, all visible screws first.