Oh oh! Did I wait too long

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
My boss come up to me in a panic on Monday saying She is never going to get any work done this year. I kind of gave her a blank look and she replied “just look at the calendar“ before storming off. I look at the calendar and now I’m freaking. But for a totally different reason. i didn’t make any vacation plans yet and the calendar is almost Completely full for the whole year. We have rules we cannot share another vacation time with anyone in our department Unless it’s something we have No control over. IE wedding, sick, etc. Apparently for two of my co workers they are attending separate weddings at the same time. I also have an additional rule because of my role that I cannot request ANY time off a week before and after month end. I was just trying to get through tax time The absolute worst crazy three months EVER before worrying about making plans and now I am worried I am too late. Over lunch yesterday I managed to squeeze a reservation to my favorite campground that had some weekdays available. Made the leave request and later that evening I hear my boss scream. I run over to her thinking something happened. Nope, she read my leave request, but She miss read the days. Apparently with the Covid rules easing up most places here people in my office are itching to get out and go on their normal vacations. So to say I’m scrambling trying to make reservations that match What is left for me to use And it’s not easy. I lucked Out and grabbed a week err almost in The Smokies. If you hear a distant scream it’s just my boss when she gets this request. Ive never seen the calendar this full ever in my years working there. I only hope they don’t all come back sick because they decided to fly on a cramped plane. Then we are going to have serious problems.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
I'm planning to take 2 months (yes, I said 2) starting in mid-August. I know my boss is going to freak but I had no vacation in 2020 of 2021 so too bad. I can work from the road and I will schedule check-in days/times. There will be times when I will not have service but we have a cloud based system with support. Most of the time when there is a problem, someone tells me about the problem and I call the support staff. So I will just give that phone number to someone at my office to call if they can't get a hold of me.

generok

Super Active Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
It must be a thing this year too. Normally by March, we have half our trips on the books, but this year, we only have two trips reserved. We do plan to do a bit more boondocking this year... real boondocking (just a patch of earth somewhere)... so that's swung us from reserved campsites to just figuring it out when we get there. But it's a good reminder I should put some of those longer trips on the calendar now, so I don't get meeting requests during those weeks. Good luck getting on your leave calendar, I hope it works out!

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
@PopUpSteve oh i wish I could. Unfortunately everything I do requires me to be online and they do not allow hotspots or equivalent. i Do hope you have a fantastic trip And your able to make all your required reservations even more that gas prices start creeping back down by then.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Thanks, doing limited reservations, shooting for Federal land camping and such. If I get somewhere on a Thursday, I'll stay until Sunday morning. Hoping "Off-Day" camping will help and the fact that 2/3 of it will be after Labor Day will cut down on weekday campers.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
My boss come up to me in a panic on Monday saying She is never going to get any work done this year. I kind of gave her a blank look and she replied “just look at the calendar“ before storming off. I look at the calendar and now I’m freaking. But for a totally different reason. i didn’t make any vacation plans yet and the calendar is almost Completely full for the whole year. We have rules we cannot share another vacation time with anyone in our department Unless it’s something we have No control over. IE wedding, sick, etc. Apparently for two of my co workers they are attending separate weddings at the same time. I also have an additional rule because of my role that I cannot request ANY time off a week before and after month end. I was just trying to get through tax time The absolute worst crazy three months EVER before worrying about making plans and now I am worried I am too late. Over lunch yesterday I managed to squeeze a reservation to my favorite campground that had some weekdays available. Made the leave request and later that evening I hear my boss scream. I run over to her thinking something happened. Nope, she read my leave request, but She miss read the days. Apparently with the Covid rules easing up most places here people in my office are itching to get out and go on their normal vacations. So to say I’m scrambling trying to make reservations that match What is left for me to use And it’s not easy. I lucked Out and grabbed a week err almost in The Smokies. If you hear a distant scream it’s just my boss when she gets this request. Ive never seen the calendar this full ever in my years working there. I only hope they don’t all come back sick because they decided to fly on a cramped plane. Then we are going to have serious problems.

I hope you work for a family business and you're a member of the family. Either that or you're extremely well-paid.
You know what they say: Nobody on their deathbed ever said they wished they would have worked more.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Were in the same boat, i have to schedule the trips before I have the days off. Sometimes we have to head back early or leave later as I can not get the whole time off. This year, we dont have a ton planned. The November disney trip took a lot out of me lol. So , just the fathers day pop up rally in PA, a week in delaware state park, 5 days in Gettysburg, and I'll shoot for one week in cape may to stay close to home. I thinks thats it for this year. Oh, and we did book a cruise. The kido wanted to go again and I cant say no. Everyone else have fun!

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
They make sure to get a campground with cabins as some dont have the campers or will not pull them that far. Works for us, as we do eaither or and the kido likes the pools.