"One small step for man..." or..."Movin' on Up..."

Mark CASTELLANI

Platinum Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
welp... we're SLOWLY moving on up...

after 9 months [and a tenting trip later], we got ourselves, truely, a "Tent on Wheels"/Popup...

It's a 2011 Coachmen/Viking "Clipper Express"... what DW wants, DW Gets! [LOL]... gotta admit, I was a little skeptical but, again... "What DW Wants, DW GETS"

It IS BASIC... no elec, no water, no fridge, no heater but, it does have an In/Out table and a HUGE Awning.... but, ya know what?... we got all that from our "traditional" tenting days

GVW is 454 pound and Tongue Weight is [wait for it]... 40, yes FOURTY, pounds.

This little thing is buit like a Tank... SOLID... no OSB but Marine Grade Plywood... Canvas looks like it's never been used...screens are pristine...picked it up about 100+ miles from home and it pulled like it never was there... heck... I could put a hitch on my Saturn Aura just so I could get away all by myself [wink, wink]

Best thing [I guess] is that we got it for under a Grand [$1,000.00] so, there's still room in the budget for something else... maybe[LOL]... shisssh, don't let DW hear me say that LOL [LOL]

I got it set up in the backyard giving it a thorough inspection but, here's a couple of pics from the seller... maybe I'll post some more later... hopefully, from a Camp Site [LOL]

02_redacted.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg

Happy Trails!

kudzu

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 20, 2014
Knee deep in kudzu
Huge congrats! Looks like a good purchase at a surprisingly good price in the current RV climate. I think the smallest, less conventional trailers are not claiming the same over-the-top prices of the more common trailers.

I am a long time fan of the smallest Viking/Clipper pups. Hope you have many wonderful nights under that canvas. Please do a follow up post after a trip or two and let us know what you think of it.

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
Huge congrats! Looks like a good purchase at a surprisingly good price in the current RV climate. I think the smallest, less conventional trailers are not claiming the same over-the-top prices of the more common trailers.

I am a long time fan of the smallest Viking/Clipper pups. Hope you have many wonderful nights under that canvas. Please do a follow up post after a trip or two and let us know what you think of it.

I KNOW, RIGHT?!?... [and thanks for the "Gongrats"]

actually, I had my heart set on a 2009 Palomino "Pony" [280?] but, the guy was out of town for a week and, like I said, "What DW Wants, DW Gets!"... and, this is what she wanted... "strike while the iron's hot" and all...and, ya know what?... the more I spend time in it today [getting friendly with it], the MORE I like it!... maybe we'll do some "Camp Driveway" tonight.

Happy Trails

Puppylove

Aug 26, 2020
Norcal

after 9 months [and a tenting trip later], we got ourselves, truely, a "Tent on Wheels"/Popup...

It's a 2011 Coachmen/Viking "Clipper Express"... what DW wants, DW Gets! [LOL]... gotta admit, I was a little skeptical but, again... "What DW Wants, DW GETS"

It IS BASIC... no elec, no water, no fridge, no heater but, it does have an In/Out table and a HUGE Awning.... but, ya know what?... we got all that from our "traditional" tenting days

This little thing is buit like a Tank... SOLID... no OSB but Marine Grade Plywood... Canvas looks like it's never been used...screens are pristine...picked it up about 100+ miles from home and it pulled like it never was there... heck... I could put a hitch on my Saturn Aura just so I could get away all by myself [wink, wink]

Best thing [I guess] is that we got it for under a Grand [$1,000.00] so, there's still room in the budget for something else... maybe[LOL]... shisssh, don't let DW hear me say that LOL [LOL]

I got it set up in the backyard giving it a thorough inspection but, here's a couple of pics from the seller... maybe I'll post some more later... hopefully, from a Camp Site [LOL]

View attachment 76913 View attachment 76914 View attachment 76915 View attachment 76916 View attachment 76917 View attachment 76918 View attachment 76919

Happy Trails!
Well now that's a dandy little camper. Is there any room for storage?

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
Well now that's a dandy little camper. Is there any room for storage?
@Puppylove ... nah... not really... the mattreses goes in the middle box [+ the "In/Out" table] and the bunks fold over them but, with the "Minion Van", we now roll with the 3rd row down and all of our gear organized in bins.. plus, there's a hitch on the back for a cargo carrier... No Worries...

Happy Trails!

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
Sounds like a super practical system! I like it.
@Puppylove Yup... not our first rodeo... bins are inventoried and now stored in the garage where the old PUP was stored over the winter... it took me/us a couple of "dry runs" to figure out the best way to pack the van 'cause we never had to . it was all in the PUP (tenting life before the PUP was a Buick Rendevous).but, we got it down now.

Happy Trails!

Amanda Neal

Apr 25, 2020
indianpolis

View attachment 76913 View attachment 76914 View attachment 76915 View attachment 76916 View attachment 76917 View attachment 76918 View attachment 76919

Happy Trails!

How do you set this up? My mother just purchased one and we are having a heck of a time putting it together! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
How do you set this up? My mother just purchased one and we are having a heck of a time putting it together! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hi @Amanda Neal.... we're still learning ourselves... “fun stuff”, huh?... a bit different than the PUP that came before it... and really nothing like our tent... a bit of a "bear"...

is your mother's exactly the same as ours?... the "Clipper Express"?... there may be different structures on different manufacturers/models...

regardless, on ours, one side of the canvas is permanently attached to one of the bunks....there's an "A-Frame" that sets up in the middle, inside the box... that gets setup first...after the "A-Frame" is installed, we pull the canvas up and over it all the way to the other bunk. Then the Shepherds Poles are attached to the hoops and the canvas is pushed out... and the sides "velcro'd"
We're still learning/experimenting... especially setting it up with only one of us should we want to "go solo" on a trip… we’ve only got 1 trip under our belts but, we’ve been playing with it in the back yard [wish I had quizzed the previous owner more… oh well]

Happy Trails!

Amanda Neal

Apr 25, 2020
indianpolis
Mark I believe it is the same, Clipper Express 2011. She bought it on Monday from a lady and unfortunately she was not able to understand a few things due to language barrier. I figured how hard can it be we can YouTube a video and learn, well I was wrong, I cant find anything on set up. We put it up and took it down it just seems difficult to do this solo... I will have to let her know how you are doing yours. Like you she was planning on using this solo and I hope this helps to accomplish the goal!

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
Mark I believe it is the same, Clipper Express 2011. She bought it on Monday from a lady and unfortunately she was not able to understand a few things due to language barrier. I figured how hard can it be we can YouTube a video and learn, well I was wrong, I cant find anything on set up. We put it up and took it down it just seems difficult to do this solo... I will have to let her know how you are doing yours. Like you she was planning on using this solo and I hope this helps to accomplish the goal!

@Amanda Neal... yup... virtually NOTHING on the net...when I come up with a viable solution to setting it up "solo", I'll share it with you, gladly :)

Happy Trails!

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
@Amanda Neal... yup... virtually NOTHING on the net...when I come up with a viable solution to setting it up "solo", I'll share it with you, gladly :)

Happy Trails!
@Amanda Neal... one of the duties I had in my career was to, from time to time, create "Procedure Manuals".... I'm doing that now for the Clipper Express "Set-Up" and "Break-Down". [who knows, maybe a video]

When I'm satisfied that I've documented the steps, I'll publish it

as for your Mom "going solo".... oh boy... I'm not a small man... realtively strong [bad back, though]... and doing this "SOLO" is going to be, shall we say, ... a "CHALLENGE"... especially pulling the bunks, up and out, "solo"... I just got inside from performing my "Proof of Concept" and... Whoa Boy!!

Don't let me be a "Wet Blanket", though... “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.”

Happy Trails!

red99

Jun 23, 2022
@Amanda Neal... one of the duties I had in my career was to, from time to time, create "Procedure Manuals".... I'm doing that now for the Clipper Express "Set-Up" and "Break-Down". [who knows, maybe a video]

When I'm satisfied that I've documented the steps, I'll publish it

as for your Mom "going solo".... oh boy... I'm not a small man... realtively strong [bad back, though]... and doing this "SOLO" is going to be, shall we say, ... a "CHALLENGE"... especially pulling the bunks, up and out, "solo"... I just got inside from performing my "Proof of Concept" and... Whoa Boy!!

Don't let me be a "Wet Blanket", though... “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.”

Happy Trails!
Hi, I am looking for a 2011 or so Clipper Express and would love to see a setup guide if you ever got around to writing that! And if you by chance know of one for sale within a drive of NC...