Votes: 17 17.9%
  • Only In An Emergency

Votes: 56 58.9%

• Total voters

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Is that the one with the nice river veiw? I know its eaither in upstate NY or Canada. Someone posted pics here a while back.

Karey

Apr 3, 2021
Colorado
Just wanted to add that one of the many reasons for switching to an Aliner from our pop-up was the ability to pull into an area and have the camper up in just a few minutes. We live in a part of the country that is prone to getting hurricanes.
We live where there's forest fires. I keep our Aliner pretty ready to go and a few garage shelves with everything else we need to grab - including Jackery and solar panels. Computer bag close to where I sit with computer. I need to look at an evacuation list I stored to see what else I'm not thinking of.

RickCanada

Jun 23, 2010
We have been doing this for years, no problem. It only takes about 10 minutes to setup. I always ask in the store if it is 'ok to set up my popup overnight'.

Raven

Aug 7, 2022
I can't imagine popping up a PUP in such a place. I have, over the years, slept in my car in a rest area when I got too tired to drive safely or when camping reservations fell through. And Wally World? No way. Absolutely no way. As a public defender I represented hundreds of thieves who frequented that store chain. I would be concerned that things would disappear from my rig, parked there.

Reactions: NLB

msteel

Nov 4, 2021
I put “in an emergency.”
I only have one trip in a popup under my belt but it was 7200 miles and 22 nights in a 1998 Coleman. So that one trip is substantial in my opinion.

I have no problem with the concept of stopping in a parking lot, but I want to be sure I am welcome and safe. Both of those are highly situational with a parking lot, and our trip was a tightly scheduled whirlwind tour so I didn’t want to take much time finding a place to sleep. I might feel more accepting of it on a slower paced trip.

We did pop up at a truck stop along the interstate in AZ. Plan A was a first come first served free campground and it was full (in context of the question I consider that a minor emergency). The truck stop was a little out of our comfort zone at first but it was fine. I would definitely do it again if needed.

We don’t have to unhook from the TV and it only takes us 15 minutes or so to set up, so I’m not in the “too much work to set up for just one night” camp.

RFryer

Hopkinton, MA
Mar 10, 2009
Hopkinton, MA
We do a weeklong trip every year that usually requires driving nearly 1k miles to get there. The first day we'll leave mid afternoon and, as it's easiest to drive later at night with kids, we'll go until 1 am to get some miles in and lessen the next day's drive. No way am I pulling into a CG at that hour, nor is it worth the fee, so we've been pretty successful in finding a Walmart, Cabella's or Cracker Barrell to spend the night in with our Jayco x24k hybrid. 2 kids on the rear bunk beds, one on the couch and my DW and myself on a very comfy dinette. Light isn't an issue with the shades down and by then I'm tired enough to sleep like a baby. We usually support our host with some groceries in the morning or, at Cracker Barrel, a breakfast inside. We try to do some research and call ahead when possible, and it seems most Walmart's still allow overnights though we've run into several that don't. We have 2 dogs as well and have always felt safe, but it's not for everyone and we never would have attempted it with our PUPs. I always make sure our bikes are locked down on the road.