Patching canvas question

Stephaw

Sep 16, 2022
Long Island, NY
We’re reno’ing a 1998 Coleman Santa Fe that sat closed in a side yard did 12 years. The mice found it in that time and now I have canvas to patch. Is this the way to go?

Complete Repair Kit for Canvas Tents, Pop-Up Campers, Tarps, Marine and Boat Covers | with 6oz Tear Mender Glue, Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl/Needles, Over 6 Sq Ft of Canvas and 30 Yards of Waxed Thread https://a.co/d/gwGkseD

I see some people say they just used the adhesive. Is it best to do both? The canvas doesn’t seem too brittle yet, and I just want to be sure I can get a few seasons out of it before we replace the canvas.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I think it depends on the rups and where they are. Adheasive may work on non corners and seams. Larger holes need sewing and Adheasive maybe. Same witth seams.

Stephaw

Sep 16, 2022
Long Island, NY
All holes are over the smaller bunk. Biggest one is about 3” around, most of the other ones are small, like under an inch. None involve seams. Seems like this kit is the way to go since it has adhesive and stuff to sew it up. Thanks!

Also open to any hints about patching it up. Hoping to get started on it this weekend.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Depending on the number of patches you have to sew, the cost of the repair kits (supplies) and what you value your time at , it might be simpler to contact Bearcreek Canvas or Canvas Replacement and buy new Canvas for the entire pup.

Stephaw

Sep 16, 2022
Long Island, NY
Depending on the number of patches you have to sew, the cost of the repair kits (supplies) and what you value your time at , it might be simpler to contact Bearcreek Canvas or Canvas Replacement and buy new Canvas for the entire pup.
Repair kit was $60 and I have more time than money at this point! We inherited this pup for free and are hoping to fix it up a little at a time and take her out this Spring.

MApopupreno

Aug 16, 2020
Repair kit was $60 and I have more time than money at this point! We inherited this pup for free and are hoping to fix it up a little at a time and take her out this Spring.
I would suggest sanitizing it in a tub of bleach or vinegar or any other solution you can find online to get rid of the mouse smell. I know I wouldn’t be able to fall asleep with that stink! That was my plan but I decided to get a new canvas from bear creek instead

rsdata

Oct 3, 2011
N. KY
Depends a lot on the mold/mildew and the general feel of the canvas.

Try spraying the canvas/vinyl with Mold Armor from Home Depot. This stuff has a lot of bleach which will clean and whiten plus sanitize. I use this on all types of fabrics and vinyl with great results. armor.jpg

bigm23

Jul 5, 2022
Alberta
We’re reno’ing a 1998 Coleman Santa Fe that sat closed in a side yard did 12 years. The mice found it in that time and now I have canvas to patch. Is this the way to go?

Complete Repair Kit for Canvas Tents, Pop-Up Campers, Tarps, Marine and Boat Covers | with 6oz Tear Mender Glue, Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl/Needles, Over 6 Sq Ft of Canvas and 30 Yards of Waxed Thread https://a.co/d/gwGkseD

I see some people say they just used the adhesive. Is it best to do both? The canvas doesn’t seem too brittle yet, and I just want to be sure I can get a few seasons out of it before we replace the canvas.
I used that kit to make repairs on mine. The adhesive is useless and you will see most reviews say as such. The sewing and fabric works great from that, but it won't stop light coming through. It works good and much cheaper then replacing as to replace can cost thousand of dollars and require to send in old canvas for them to replicate. If you are lucky to get the adhesive to stick then great but do stiches as well.