Planning a trip to Gatlinburg

Rusty2192

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kentucky
Chimney Tops was probably one of my top favorites. Have you been there since the fire? I can't get myself to go back there yet.

I have not yet, though I really want to. We passed through a heavily damaged area on the Rainbow Falls trail on our way up to LeConte a few weeks ago. All of the trees were dead and you could see the erosion and wind damage caused by the loss of roots and undergrowth to hold everything in place. The undergrowth is growing back, but it will take a long time for the trees to come back. I just checked the gps info on these pictures and they are due north of Chimney Tops, a couple ridges away.

LeConte201858.jpg LeConte201859.jpg LeConte201860.jpg LeConte201861.jpg LeConte201862.jpg

"Ole Smokey Distilleries"...that place can get you in trouble
They aren’t quite as dangerous as they used to be. It used to be free samples, and each distillery gave a ton of samples. A few years ago we hit them all one evening. Needless to say, we were feeling pretty good by the end of the night.

City officials were afraid people were just taking advantage of the free samples to get drunk (you think?) so they passed an ordinance that they have to charge like $5 for the sampling now. So not horrible, but not as good as it used to be.

WVhillbilly

Super Active Member
Jun 6, 2018
WV
But they give you a $5 coupon too.
And if you go on your birthday like I did, they just give you the coupon.
Gatlinburg is a good time for a couple days,

jumpoff

I'm in a camping state of mind
Nov 3, 2015
North East Florida
Rusty.. Thanks for the pics. Chimney Tops to me was a very special trail. It's hard seeing the beautiful trees needlessly ruined. And thanks for the info about the "Smokey Distilleries" The good part is that 95% of the Park was undamaged by the fires. We're going to be doing the trails in Greenbriar this time.

jumpoff

I'm in a camping state of mind
Nov 3, 2015
North East Florida
But they give you a $5 coupon too.
And if you go on your birthday like I did, they just give you the coupon.
Gatlinburg is a good time for a couple days,

"Gatlinburg is a good time for a couple days,".... Your statement really says it all. It's amazing how many people go to Gatlinburg just for the circus that never venture out into the peaceful solitude that the Park offers.

WVhillbilly

Super Active Member
Jun 6, 2018
WV
We spent a day in Cade's Cove, we only had a few days in the area. There is a lot to do and see, Gatlinburg is only good for a day or two. I don't do the whole show/amusement park scene of Pigeon Forge, it just doesn't interest me.
Then we skipped over to Asheville to visit the Biltmore again.
We went the first week of May, I think if we go again it will be in mid April as it was starting to get busy there.

SongCamper

Jul 4, 2017
Nashville
You'll love Gatlinburg that time of year. It'll be perfect! The leaves will be changing and the evening will be nice and cool. Enjoy!

tarynerwin

Sep 26, 2017
Looks like you have a beautiful site! Just as an easy 3 mile hike/walk you can turn left out of the campground and then take your next road on your left which will bring you along the river. It is a very pretty walk/hike. Pretty covered bridge (great photo op) :). I hope you enjoy your stay.

joegib1980

Nov 20, 2017
Vidor, TX
Great pictures. I stayed a little further east on 321 last weekend. I stayed at the Smokey Bear but in a camping cabin. Did you guys do any hikes while you were there?

We did. We did Grotto Falls and Laurel Falls. Nothing strenuous, since we had our 9 yr and 4 yr olds with us.

Grizzly_Wayne

Oct 7, 2010
Knoxville, Tn
What site were you in? I live in Knoxville, and we bought our first camper this March (Jayco Hybrid). We are trying to get one more trip in before it gets too cold. I have driven through Greenbriar and we loved it. The leaves are still a week or so out (at least down here). Hope you had a great time!

joegib1980

Nov 20, 2017
Vidor, TX
What site were you in? I live in Knoxville, and we bought our first camper this March (Jayco Hybrid). We are trying to get one more trip in before it gets too cold. I have driven through Greenbriar and we loved it. The leaves are still a week or so out (at least down here). Hope you had a great time!
We stayed in Site 73. On the river, and just a short walk to the laundry and showers. We were disappointed in the lack of fall colors! Usually mid-October is the peak season. But I guess it decided to be late this year. Enjoy your trip!