Planning X-Country Trip 2022

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
I'm deep into the planning and reservations of my cross country trip. Leaving in mid August and doing 5 to 8 weeks will get me back home in late Sept or mid Oct. My employer if having a fit, saying I'm too important to the company to be away that long. Well, my paycheck doesn't reflect that importance. I can do a lot of my work remotely. He just can't wait until the last minute to tell me he need something. It will depend on how I feel and where I am as to when I'll return. Remember, I'm traveling on my own and I may get to the point where I just make a bee-line for home.

I've made some of my reservations for the outbound trip. Unlike my 2017 trip, most of the stops are multi night stays. In locations that are first come/first served, I made it so I would get there on a weekday and a very short distance from the previous night's stay. That way I can get there right after people leave and before other have a chance to arrive. I only have my route and reservations out to Glacier NP for Labor Day. Not mapped but I do want to make it out to Astoria OR and hopefully down the coast to see the Redwoods.

Since my posts from my previous trip went over so well (This Time Last Year), I'm hoping to post a video log along the way. I need to start practicing. But I don't want that to consume too much of my time. Maybe I'll work on that this weekend.

Gas prices will be the big ticket item. I had originally planned on $5 a gallon, but that looks like it may be at the low end now. I'm figuring on doing between 7,000 and 8,000 miles so that could be around $3,000 in fuel ($6 per gallon @ 15 mph).

I still have a list of camper To-Dos and time is running out. I feel great every time I can check off another item on that list.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Yup - if he fusses, you can remind your employer that $$ speak louder than words. Skilled workers are in short suply, don't be afraid to quit if they get too huffy. Every year you get older and slower and weaker - so go now.

Last edited:

Merlin14

Aug 30, 2014
Tomorrow (6/1) I'm headed out and hope to last 3-4 weeks on a well planned trip. It's a solo outing with mostly boondocks from second night on. First night may be in a SP as Texas will be about 100 in this location. After that, I can live with 70-78 for overnight lows.
The biggest barrier is the fires in NM and Colorado. Two of my favorite forests have closed. As a result, if the remaining ones close, I will continue north, but not cross the border.

I worked a part time job from November to May on weekends to get the funds. Like a lot of Americans, the price of gas alone (inflation, etc.) has been factored into this trip and only "discretionary funds" will be used.

My desire has been to see a few sights and sites that have been missed before. With retirement the demand to be on an employer schedule is gone.

Almost everything is loaded. I'm using the refrigerator in the Aliner for produce and fruit, but just don't trust it for critical perishables like meat and eggs.

Hope I see lots of PUP's out there. I always notice every single one and appreciate the three of them we have owned before our current rig.

Here's what I'll look like.
1653860150471.png

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I'm deep into the planning and reservations of my cross country trip. Leaving in mid August and doing 5 to 8 weeks will get me back home in late Sept or mid Oct. My employer if having a fit, saying I'm too important to the company to be away that long. Well, my paycheck doesn't reflect that importance. I can do a lot of my work remotely. He just can't wait until the last minute to tell me he need something. It will depend on how I feel and where I am as to when I'll return. Remember, I'm traveling on my own and I may get to the point where I just make a bee-line for home.

I've made some of my reservations for the outbound trip. Unlike my 2017 trip, most of the stops are multi night stays. In locations that are first come/first served, I made it so I would get there on a weekday and a very short distance from the previous night's stay. That way I can get there right after people leave and before other have a chance to arrive. I only have my route and reservations out to Glacier NP for Labor Day. Not mapped but I do want to make it out to Astoria OR and hopefully down the coast to see the Redwoods.

Since my posts from my previous trip went over so well (This Time Last Year), I'm hoping to post a video log along the way. I need to start practicing. But I don't want that to consume too much of my time. Maybe I'll work on that this weekend.

Gas prices will be the big ticket item. I had originally planned on $5 a gallon, but that looks like it may be at the low end now. I'm figuring on doing between 7,000 and 8,000 miles so that could be around $3,000 in fuel ($6 per gallon @ 15 mph).

I still have a list of camper To-Dos and time is running out. I feel great every time I can check off another item on that list.
Leave it to Steve to calculate out the fuel costs. Ugg. That number hurt me. I am not calculating out anything this year. I will get depressed. Go, have fun, the trip and the memories are worth more then the money spent. Easier to say because its not my money. But go while you can and still want to. We are not getting any younger, and some stuff is best enjoyed in the moment.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Well I have to know how long it will take to pay-off the trip. It's not like i have that money just sitting around.
I am staying close to home this year. No long trips. And , I am piggybacking some. I just booked hersey ,in between 2 trips in PA, not cheap but it was cheaper then driving home from promised land and then heading back out to Gettysburg.

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
I paid $5.50 per gallon in Arizona on Indian land, highest on my trip. Most were 4.50ish elsewhere with Texas just under $4.

I believe I topped 7k miles but will have to check. I knew going into this fuel costs were going to be high but I was prepared.

Can't take it with ya Steve, enjoy the trip and save funds elsewhere.

I saved a few hundred with acquiring a military National Park pass. Very little eating out and no fast food.

Arlyn Aronson

Super Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Houghton, MI

I learned over the past few years, the only way to get a raise is to go to another employer. Sad to say that pay statics agree with that. Nonetheless Steve, will you be coming across the UP of MI? Hope so!

Last edited:

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Steve, will you be coming across the UP of MI?
Sorry, no plans at this time to get to MI. I was there back in 2017 (see my post about that trip). Heading due West until I get to Omaha, then Northwest to SD, WY, MT, and points West. Return trip will most likely be through Colorado. I'll post my stops later in case someone wants to buy me dinner.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
Steve & Merlin, we are hoping you have a great trip filled with happy memories. Remember the breathing of the air of freedom on the camp, is all that matters. Shed those worries, of cost, or schedules, and enjoy the camp. Being in Central Texas we would not be close, or not only would we make you a great dinner, we would pack you several to take along the way, and would be honored to do so. Please be careful on the road, and drop a line ever so often to let all your fellow campers know that you are well. God Bless you both. See you on the trail.

Sandy Ogletree

Nov 8, 2021
Norfolk, Va.

Hi Steve,
We are two senior citizens hoping to go cross country with our pop up. I just can't seem to begin the process of planning and reserving sites . It seems so overwhelming and I am paralyzed by the seeming enormity of the task. We are in our seventies so it is now or never. Do you have recommendations your could share with us, either on how to go about it or campgrounds you like etc. We need a push. Thanks so much. We live in Va. and want to visit National parks such as Glacier, Bryson, Zion, Yellowstone, Banff etc. I appreciate any help or encouragement you can spare.

Arlyn Aronson

Super Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Houghton, MI
Folks, we reside in the western side of the UP of MI and might be able to give camping advise for near us. Do note that the UP is 300 miles across, so we know next to nothing about in the eastern portion of the Upper peninsula. Its waaaaaaay to far away from us. For those who are map challenged. The UP is on the southern shore of lake Superior, above Wisconsin and the north shore of lake Michigan. Maybe we could even camp with you if anyone passes near us. We have some super nice NFS CG's near us.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
We are two senior citizens hoping to go cross country with our pop up. I just can't seem to begin the process of planning and reserving sites . It seems so overwhelming and I am paralyzed by the seeming enormity of the task.
Can’t speak for others and honestly never went on a cross country trip (As an adult). I took a nearly two week trip to see a chunk of New England states myself. What I did was break the trip up into segments. Essentially treated it like each individual trip just from a different starting point and not necessarily a stop along the way. Planned how to get to x figure how to get there, cost, make reservations etc then at the end you combine all the things into one. The hard part is trying to figure out how long you and your partner are able to tow in a day. You don’t want an exhaustive drive but still leave some time to set up and relax before having to jump into bed. As a kid on our family cross country my folks broke our trip up into long driving days with shorter ones. The longer driving days my folks stopped at motels instead of a campground so no setup time. That in itself was difficult as some motels did not have room for a camper. however not having to setup camp the popup all the time was a nice change as well. Before I even thought about my trip I already knew my mpg so was able to calculate how far I’m able to go per tank.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
We live in Va. and want to visit National parks such as Glacier, Bryson, Zion, Yellowstone, Banff etc. I appreciate any help or encouragement you can spare.
Well, a few tips:
  1. Make your reservations ASAP! All the parks you listed book fast. And if you plan on doing any excursions using tour companies which may require reservations, book those now as well. On my trip last year to Glacier, I decided to take the tour bus up the Going to the Sun Road. It never occurred to me that I should make reservations ahead of time. I was lucky, being by myself, the tours normally have 1 seat available. The advantage to using the tour buses is you can enjoy the beautiful scenery and get all the local info & history from tour guild.
  2. Try not to do any 1 night campsites. Driving all day just to setup then take down the next morning to get back on the road is a real killer. I did this back in 2017 and have since really regretted having done the trip in this manner. On that 3 week cross country trip there were only 2 places that were multiday stops. If you have to do a 1 nighter, perhaps make is a hotel stay so you can get a good hot shower.
  3. Try to plan so that you get to a major destination on an off day. I.E. Get to the CG on a Wednesday or Thursday. Remember, the locals also use the parks but most likely on the weekends.
  4. Having been all over the East Coast, I have found that all the good stuff is West of the Mississippi.
  5. As for Yellowstone, make sure when in the area to travel over the Beartooth Mountains.
As I come up with some more tips, I'll let you know.

Are you planning on going North to South? What time of year? And do you mean Bryce Canyon (not Bryson) National Park?

I have to write my travel log for 2022 now that you've got my wonder lust stirred up.

gladecreekwy

Super Active Member
Sep 25, 2016
Jackson Wyoming
Hi Steve,
We are two senior citizens hoping to go cross country with our pop up. I just can't seem to begin the process of planning and reserving sites . It seems so overwhelming and I am paralyzed by the seeming enormity of the task. We are in our seventies so it is now or never. Do you have recommendations your could share with us, either on how to go about it or campgrounds you like etc. We need a push. Thanks so much. We live in Va. and want to visit National parks such as Glacier, Bryson, Zion, Yellowstone, Banff etc. I appreciate any help or encouragement you can spare.
Everything that Steve said. I will emphasize that you need to make reservations ASAP for the western parks. Start a thread on this page. Lots of great info here. I’m in Jackson, just south of GT and Yellowstone and we spend a good amount of time in S Utah so feel free to message me with any questions

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
We've got a 30amp in East Central MN, northbound towards Duluth. Wooded end of the road scene, Pappy has never complained about the (free) pricing schedule, only the manager is a grump. I'm a flyover county [LOL]

Musictom

Gold Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2021
Hi Steve,
For what it's worth, my wife and I have taken two cross-country trips so far (we've only owned the pup 1 1/2 years). I have found the RV Trip Wizard website to be invaluable when planning a trip.
They offer a 7 day free trial -- I'd at least give them a look.