POOP IN THE PUP! (A Truly Crappy Thread)

Do you poop in the pup?

• Absolutlely! That is why I have it!

Votes: 33 26.0%
  • Sometimes. Only in an emergency.

Votes: 43 33.9%
  • No. Never.

Votes: 48 37.8%
  • What a terrible question.

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

Fish N Farm

Aug 4, 2020
Pearland Tx
Absolutely use mine all the time. I don't know about everyone else but my camper has screens all the way around that allows air flow......good chemicals make for simple emptying. I also dont use an ENTIRE roll of toilet paper in one sitting either.... I'm not getting athletes feet from camp showers... I'll be in my little 3x4 shower hahahah..but having said this I'm so glad and usually camp by myself... I can see it being different with multiple people.
You should quit using TP all together Your wifey would love more you if you got her one of these. put a valve in the shower hose and have warm water.

https://www.cleanbutt.com/

Last edited:

Fish N Farm

Aug 4, 2020
Pearland Tx
Not the same if you are emptying a cassette toilet. Lumps while emptying = more splash.[:(O]
Here's how you handle that. I couldn't find a macerator that was small enough to fit down the drain pipe of the cassette so I got a 24" drill bit extension on my cordless drill and I put one of the egg beaters of of the wife's electric mixer and stick it down in there and let it run on high for a minute or so that gets gets rid of the clumps. No splattering. I stick it in thru the drain spout so it don't sling crap every where. Then there ain't no lumps and it flows out nice and smooth. If you put it in thru the knife valve it gets messy and can ruin your new wally world T shirt.

Fish N Farm

Aug 4, 2020
Pearland Tx
You dont have to beat the lion or the bear, just beat out the slowest guy.
That's a thought but, I am the slowest guy. Reminds me of the story of the woman that was hiking with her husband and a bear got after them. She got away but the bear ate her husband, The Ranger ask her how she managed to get away and she said she shot in the knee with a 22 pistol. The Ranger asked you shot a Bear in the knee with a 22 and managed to escape and she said no I shot my husband in the knee while the Bear was eating him I ran away. My kind of girl.

Fish N Farm

Aug 4, 2020
Pearland Tx
So here is the deal. When the toilet is far away and your system did not fire a warning shot it is either POOP in the camper or in your pants. I personally like first option best. Tons of folks on here are talking about comfort, cold, dark, bears but, one has to wonder what the real reason is. Actually for me and the LW it is both. So there you have the truth from me. When you youngsters get older you will get to where you don't trust a gas pain.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
This year, with things being as they are with COVID19, pooping in the TT is definitely a given. We opted not to use campground restrooms, even when they were open. Some campgrounds were very busy and I didn't really see them being cleaned all (or any) that much more than usual. At Mather CG in Grand Canyon, they closed half the restrooms each day, so they could sit after being cleaned. While there were very few campers there, the hike to the farther restroom would not have been fun, esp with my broken ankle. Said ankle was another reason for being very thankful that we had our own facilities. Our first trip was a week (that's the one I broke my ankle) second one 16 nights - I never used another restroom the entire time. When we were on the road, we were towing, so could use the facilities in the TT.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
I know this thread is old, but rather than starting a new one, Im giving this an add on. Years back I had bought an hassock portable toilet, but it was massive in size. Nowadays, especially with COVID I use use a luggable loo lid on a 5 gallon bucket. Its a much taller height than the hassock, and it is easier to carry. I carry either gelling kitty litter, shredded paper, or wood shavings, and I just replace the bag daily. bag is waste container sized bags, and fits perfectly. The only bad part is if there is a lot of liquid, it wont be absorbed. I just double bag it and toss it away.
Anyone else have any better options? I like the folding one for space, but given that it is plastic bags after all, I enjoy the added security of a bucket.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I carry a Porti-potti in my camper. It sits outside of the door during the day but comes inside at night for obvious reasons. I only boondock camp and most of the time I'm by myself. Not a soul around for miles. In that case I just take a shovel and go off in the woods somewhere and dig a hole. Sometimes my adult kids and their family will go camping with us. Again we all only boondock in the trees. My oldest son always brings a post-hole digger and a privacy tent. Our first job after set up is to go off about 30 or 40 yards downwind and dig a deep hole with the post-hole digger. The hole is generally about 3 or 4 feet deep. We have a toilet seat mounted on top of a big bucket with the bottom cut out that we line with a black plastic bag. The bag extends far enough down in the hole to prevent "splatter". It all fits inside of the Privacy tent. When we get ready to break camp, we just shove the bag down in the hole and cover it up. The site is marked with a triangle of rocks to warn us not to dig there again.

Senor Mule

Aug 16, 2022
I have a new in box cassette toilet, had it a long time. never used it.
The only people I see a need for one is:
1: The elderly or mobility impaired.
2: People not from the generations of (born after 1972) who were not the the golden rules-
:1.) Get a drink before we leave as we are not stopping!, and
2.) If you have to go to the bathroom, you better go before we leave, as we are not stopping!

My wife, and children all religiously carry water bottles around like they are going to die of dehydration just driving to the mall or any near locale 5 minutes away, then they have to use a restroom at almost every place.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
2: People not from the generations of (born after 1972) who were not the the golden rules-
2.) If you have to go to the bathroom, you better go before we leave, as we are not stopping!

My wife, and children all religiously carry water bottles around like they are going to die of dehydration just driving to the mall or any near locale 5 minutes away, then they have to use a restroom at almost every place.
You missed "I've had seven beers and I'm not working to the bath house in the rain, so you better break out those nose clips."

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I grew up with what we now call "Campers' Rules" - use the toilet just before leaving the house and whenever one is available. A my parents traveled with me, mostly secondary highways back then, we did make regular stops - any rest area we found, gas stations, sightseeing. Gave the driver (my dad) a chance to stretch his legs - no cruise control back then, a break for motion-sickness-prone me, and a chance to pee.
We live in an arid climate, and after moving here, I quickly learned the importance of staying properly hydrated. Many people don't realize they are mildly dehydrated much of the time, and it leads to fatigue, headache, etc. Now, even when I'm in a more humid locale, I try to make sure I keep my water intake at the right level, as does my husband. (Add in a few health issues made worse by not getting enough water, and it's really important.)
I've long been happy to have some form of toilet, in our popups and now a flush toilet in our small (smaller than some popups) travel trailer. Not only handy for middle of the night needs, it proved great when bathrooms were closed during shutdowns. Last night, however, was a prime example of why we appreciate being self-contained. Hours of rain, from mid-afternoon off and on through the night. Campground is on a hillside, bathrooms are at the bottom of the hill, roads are gravel, even the "grass" part has lots of gravel. Many are driving to the bathroom from tent sites and cabins with no facilities. (I may be a little more careful in this campground, it's where I rolled a rock 2 years ago and broke my ankle.)
Having a toilet works well for us, I'd hate to go back to being without one, uless I was able to do a backpack again. As with everything, we find what works for each of us at any time in life.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj

Lol, from what you said you should be using it often. Not never used it.

BikeNFish

Super Active Member
Apr 24, 2017
Maplewood, MN
Nice to see this old thread is still making the rounds![8D] 💩

While we never used the portable Thetford for #2 when we had the pup, I am here to report that there are no limits like that while using the thunder box in the new TT. I am pretty sure that the DW is much more happy about that than I am for several reasons.

First, she doesn't have to empty the waste tanks. Second, she also seems to be happy to be avoiding the "multiple women in the restroom" scenario and is happy to have her "alone time" away from the public restrooms.

I have come to the conclusion that she is convinced that if a woman makes any "trumpeting noises" while doing her business in a bathroom stall next to another woman, it is considered a crime against humanity and the punishment is public humiliation until the day you die. I have also concluded that the same "noise laws" don't apply when I am in the TT and she is using the percaline throne.

But I digress.

The main reason that the TT has different rules than the pup is that it that emptying the black tanks on the TT is a lot different than emptying the pup's portable. Most important than all of the reasons is that emptying TT black tanks isn't as "up close and personal" as with the portable. You can stand far away from the business end of the stinky slinky (sewer hose) on a TT, but there is always that "splash factor" with the portables no matter how far away you try to hold it.

However, as easy as it is to dump the black tank on a TT, I still have not found my comfort level while using the clear elbow on the end of the stinky slinky that allows you to see EVERYTHING that is coming out of the black tank. [:(O]

Latest posts