Pop Up Lift Mechanism failure

Steve Saiko

Sep 23, 2015
We had got back from a rainy camping trip and immediately cranked up the camper to dry out. A couple of days later it had dried and we were going to crank it down. About 1/2 way down it suddenly went in to a free fall to the bottom. When I tried to raise it back up, the crank handle just turned free. I removed the plate under the wiffle tree assembly and found, when I turned the crank, the cable carrier just sat there while the threaded shaft turned. Anyone know what may have happened?

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I'm not real familiar with the Whiffletree lift system. If you can maybe post a photo of the jack screw and underside cable system, I bet we can figure it out in a heart beat. Here is a link to a video with the probable cause. But I think if this is your problem, you can purchase a new part instead of making one.

Last edited:

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
We had got back from a rainy camping trip and immediately cranked up the camper to dry out. A couple of days later it had dried and we were going to crank it down. About 1/2 way down it suddenly went in to a free fall to the bottom. When I tried to raise it back up, the crank handle just turned free. I removed the plate under the wiffle tree assembly and found, when I turned the crank, the cable carrier just sat there while the threaded shaft turned. Anyone know what may have happened?
Here is another real good video on how to repair a Whiffletree lift system.

azwildcat

Sep 19, 2021
Glendale, AZ
had a similar situation but mine would not crank up, if yours is like mine there is a black box at the bottom of trailer just under the bumper, after taking the cover off i found a pin that fell out on the gears