Power Issue

TheEnder

Feb 12, 2022
Hello everyone.

I'm new here, and i plan on posting more during the reconditioning of a now mine 2000 Coleman/Fleetwood Niagara Elite pop up camper.

There's many things wrong with it, that i'm willing to fix, but since i'm living out of it i have one major issue.

Recently, i had to hook up a air compressor to the outdoor electrical outlets next to the light on the camper and i tripped the circuit. Reset the breaker, everything came back on with the outlets without issue but the lights (both outdoor & indoor) and the water pump do not work anymore.

For a few days after this happened, the lights, water pump, and LP Gas Detector under the rear bed would flash. The "LOW VOLTAGE" light on the LP Detector would flash in rhythm with the lights and water pump.

A week ago, the flashing stopped completely and everything aside from the indoor outlets still wouldn't work. Now, the flashing is back.

I have checked all the fuses, all of the breakers, etc to no avail. Any help would be great. Thank you.

TheEnder

Feb 12, 2022
Yes, i am hooked up to Shore Power and have checked the breakers on the panel and they are all fine.

vagov

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Did you try running strictly off a battery 12 volt. To see if you have any power , outside power outlet won’t work but water pump and interior lights still should , could be a tripped breaker or fuse somewhere in converter

LilRed

Super Active Member
Jan 9, 2021
Long Island NY
Those lights and pump are on the 12v side of things. Battery powered, but charged from 120v converter. While they could be coincidental, they shouldn’t be the current issue. Check the dc fuse that goes to battery from the converter?

TheEnder

Feb 12, 2022
Have you checked if GFCI is tripped?
That's the outlet that has the 2 buttons on them, correct?

If so, then yes, and it's fine. All outlets inside the trailer work perfectly fine, nothing else (such as water pump, outside outlets, outside lights & inside lights) do not work.

TheEnder

Feb 12, 2022
Did you try running strictly off a battery 12 volt. To see if you have any power , outside power outlet won’t work but water pump and interior lights still should , could be a tripped breaker or fuse somewhere in converter
We thought the same and checked every fuse in the converter. They're all fine, not broken.

The battery is original to the trailer and does not hold a charge at all.

TheEnder

Feb 12, 2022
Those lights and pump are on the 12v side of things. Battery powered, but charged from 120v converter. While they could be coincidental, they shouldn’t be the current issue. Check the dc fuse that goes to battery from the converter?
Is the fuse in the battery compartment? If so, i haven't checked that one yet. I will check it as soon as possible tomorrow though.

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
If you are plugged in to Shore Power, you don’t need a battery to run 12v items. That is what the converter's for. That said, if you no longer have 12v power and you are hooked to Shore Power, you have one of 3 issues.

1. A fuse is bad or blown. Fuses can look good but be bad. Test them with a multimeter.

2. Bad 12v safety switch.

3. Converter breaker tripped or converter has gone bad.

Given the age of your camper, I’m going to say it’s number 3.

There are full wiring diagrams for your camper at colemanpopupparts.com

SteveP

Super Active Member
May 21, 2015
If you have a standalone battery charger hook it up to the battery now and get the battery fully charged.

After checking all your fuses, including the breaker at the the battery positive, with your multimeter remove the negative cable from the battery. While plugged into Shore Power and the standalone charger disconnected check the converter output with your multimeter by connecting the positive lead of the meter to the negative cable and the negative lead to the battery negative post. You should see about 13.6 volts on the meter. Anything less will indicate a problem with the converter and less than 13.0 I'd say the converter is fried.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Im going with loose wire somewhere. Flashing lights that come and go? Check your wires in the back of the converter. The lights, pump and gas detector, if I remember corectly are not all on the same circuit. And the system is separate from the 110 outlets, so that shouldn't have caused the issue. Did all this stuff work fine beforehand?

TheEnder

Feb 12, 2022
If you are plugged in to Shore Power, you don’t need a battery to run 12v items. That is what the converter's for. That said, if you no longer have 12v power and you are hooked to Shore Power, you have one of 3 issues.

1. A fuse is bad or blown. Fuses can look good but be bad. Test them with a multimeter.

2. Bad 12v safety switch.

3. Converter breaker tripped or converter has gone bad.

Given the age of your camper, I’m going to say it’s number 3.

There are full wiring diagrams for your camper at colemanpopupparts.com
Sorry for such a delay on a response - thinks have been hectic here and i’m just now getting to replying to everything.

This is the first time the trailer has been up since 2009 roughly, before that it was only up maybe 3 times in total.

I checked the fuses in the converter, none of them are bad. The 2 breakers also appear to be fine (they switch fine, not sure if that matters.)

Recently, i had the trailer popped up when i was moving it to a different spot right next to it (long story) and the interior lights worked fine. Everything acted normal until the trailer was unplugged from the truck i was using to move the trailer.

The battery is past bad, it’s original to the trailer. Doesn’t hold a charge at all. Would this cause that?

TheEnder

Feb 12, 2022
If you have a standalone battery charger hook it up to the battery now and get the battery fully charged.

After checking all your fuses, including the breaker at the the battery positive, with your multimeter remove the negative cable from the battery. While plugged into Shore Power and the standalone charger disconnected check the converter output with your multimeter by connecting the positive lead of the meter to the negative cable and the negative lead to the battery negative post. You should see about 13.6 volts on the meter. Anything less will indicate a problem with the converter and less than 13.0 I'd say the converter is fried.
Will do this today, i have a trickle charger and if that doesn’t work i have a spare car battery that i can try out that’s good.

TheEnder

Feb 12, 2022
Im going with loose wire somewhere. Flashing lights that come and go? Check your wires in the back of the converter. The lights, pump and gas detector, if I remember corectly are not all on the same circuit. And the system is separate from the 110 outlets, so that shouldn't have caused the issue. Did all this stuff work fine beforehand?

Everything worked fine in the trailer before this happened. Heater functioned great, lights were bright, etc.

TheEnder

Feb 12, 2022
Speaking of the gas detector, i’m not sure if i mentioned this before but the “Low Voltage” light is pulsing bright red and then going out.

TheEnder

Feb 12, 2022
Slight update:

After plugging in my battery charger, a NOCO Genius 1 and putting it in force mode i noticed that the interior lights started to flash brighter and they even stayed on for a bit, but were very dim (even though they were still flashing).

During this the battery went so low again that the charger couldn’t recognize it, so i turned off everything power demanding and put it back into force mode. We will see what will happen tomorrow i guess!