Pre Planning 2023 Ontario Summer Rally.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
As the title states. Pre planning for the 2023 Ontario Summer Rally.

Do we change the dates?

Next year July 1st is on a Saturday, which means people will either get June 30th (the Friday) or July 3rd (Monday) off. A few will be able to take both days off. Either way it will be a 3 day weekend for most.

Next is location..

For those newer members, it was decided long ago (at the third Rally) that the Rally should be kept somewhere within a 2hr drive (normal drive times, not long weekend drive times) of the 400/401 interchange and no more then 1 hrs (but up to 1.5 hrs) East or West of the 400.
Pretty much that puts things in a square of Peterborough to about Cambridge and North to almost Gravenhurst (up hwy 11) and ParrySound (up old hwy 69) ..

Lots of Provincial Parks in this area.. so let's hear some ideas.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Well here is my choices..lol

Keep it on the July long weekend. (I'll either be off or have vacation).

I would love to have the Rally at a more Northern Park Like Grundy, Arrowhead, Restoule, Marten River or Oastler.. since all of these are within a 2 hour drive of home (important incase DW has to drive herself and the dogs to the campground) .

Hopefully next year things work out and I am able too attend ( ok, not be up on my roof shoveling snow off on the day reservations open for the long weekend).

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Would Awenda be a consideration ?

Possibly.. I should have mentioned, we try to use "B" and "C" rated parks as they are usually easier to get reservations..

If you don't know, Ontario Parks rares their campgrounds "A, B, C and occasionally D" . This is based off of popularity of the park itself.. The ratings are always changing, but as examples, Algonquin is rated an "A" park, something like Oastler is rated "C" and at times has been a "D" ..
Too further complicate things they use the same system to rate individual sites within a campground..

Not sure if Ontario Parks has or still publishes the little guide book (not the campground news paper) but in there it use to list the Parks grading. (A,B,C or D)

Now Parks change in popularity all the time, the first rally held at Emily, most of us made reservations a week to two weeks beforehand, the third and last rally at Emily, it was May that you had to have had reservations made by.. (Yes Mel.. that year I knew in May that we would in fact be attending... ). That is because of what ever factors Emily became popular..

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
Same as I write every year, it doesn't really matter where it is, I'll go if work scheds don't get in the way. This year was the worst yet for work getting in the way, (and for attendance), but we did make it for 1 day. I couldn't go without getting my annual fix of Fin the Doggo.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Well due to things always being in motion, moving and ever changing, I am officially stepping down as the acting planner of the Ontario Rallies..

Hopefully, another member will step up and take over. It has been fun and a real PITA at times, trying to pick dates, pick locations and at one time organize door prizes .

My message to whomever picks up the challenge.. Keep it Simple..

Jul 13, 2022
I was hoping you'd say that. The voices in my head said something about the stars being aligned in 2023, but then I wake up under the table and the dogs go crazy howling at me.
Is there a specific dance, or I can just do me ?

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Well, we normally dance naked around a campfire until the aliens land. Oh wait, that's another group I belong too. Never mind.
No, that happens as well. Usually ends up in someone disappearing... happened to TandT once (at the rally you attended) and CCPTBO at the next one. And well, I've seem to have disappeared from the last two rallies.. 👽👽👽👽👽

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
Well Snow, ... all I can say is that you did put a bunch of work into the summer rallies, and it is all very appreciated, Thanks! I remember all the door prizes, and you trying to get them from sponsors, etc. I went out a few years and picked out a few camping items to contribute to the prize pile as well, (so did other members attending). I once went into the trailer place down the road from me and asked for donations to the door prize pile, but they turned me down, so I do have a small idea of what you went through. I've been to 8 summer rallies and made an appearance at 2 Thanksgiving Gatherings. I've, (and my family) have had a lot of fun during those rallies.

It will be interesting to see if anyone picks up the job. I am officially saying that at this point I cannot take it on, Sorry. Life is so busy around here and about to get a whole lot busier in the next couple of years.

Last edited:

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
I have no plans for 2023 yet and I haven't been to Canada since 2017, so perhaps it's time to cross the boarder and have some fun. All kidding aside, if you've need been to a PUP Rally, you need to make the effort and attend one, it's a blast.

vagov

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Being a Wagonmaster myself For the last several years, also. Running a Dutch oven group on top of that, Trying to get sponsors from business places. Have become increasing harder over the years, as far as pup rally’s, I found it easier to just buy cheaper camping prizes , or at least things I could use extras myself, as it’s hard to buy in bulk. Without over/under. Spending as cancellation and new attendance. Changes. Up to the rally date. My suggestion is to who ever takes over the duties. It to keep it simple . It’s more the Fun weekend people remember. Not the small door prize you may receive ! I have met a lot of good people , and made good camping freinds. Over the last years , and don’t regret a minute for being a Wagonmaster, so if you never went to a rally. Attend one. You may enjoy it . Even though our paths haven’t crossed yet , Thanks Snow. For all your work, Hope our path still meets at some point

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Well Snow, ... all I can say is that you did put a bunch of work into the summer rallies, and it is all very appreciated, Thanks! I remember all the door prizes, and you trying to get them from sponsors, etc. I went out a few years and picked out a few camping items to contribute to the prize pile as well, (so did other members attending). I once went into the trailer place down the road from me and asked for donations to the door prize pile, but they turned me down, so I do have a small idea of what you went through. I've been to 8 summer rallies and made an appearance at 2 Thanksgiving Gatherings. I've, (and my family) have had a lot of fun during those rallies.

It will be interesting to see if anyone picks up the job. I am officially saying that at this point I cannot take it on, Sorry. Life is so busy around here and about to get a whole lot busier in the next couple of years.

Actually, once I did some of the initial requests and made a couple contacts, it was easy.. our three best contributors were Coleman Canada, Globetrotter RV and our friend at Tri-Lynx (Lynx Levelers) . I've been too 5, 6 maybe Summer Rallies made 1 appearance at the wedding rally, hosted 3 or 4 of the Kick of to Summer rallies, and did 4 or 5 of the Thanksgiving Gathering rallies.. Just since moving Northwards and DW not working in an office job anymore it's been hard to align our vacation times together, couple that with the increased demand in campsites the past 2 summers, we haven't been able to make too many rallies since 2018, not to mention, unless others have 3 or 4 days off, it's doubtful they will travel 4 hours North to Provincial Parks in my area.

Strawhouse

Let’s Go Camping!
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2015
Muskoka, Ontario 🇨🇦
Well due to things always being in motion, moving and ever changing, I am officially stepping down as the acting planner of the Ontario Rallies..

Hopefully, another member will step up and take over. It has been fun and a real PITA at times, trying to pick dates, pick locations and at one time organize door prizes .

My message to whomever picks up the challenge.. Keep it Simple..
Sorry! I won’t be able to volunteer for this.
As you know, I’m already busy organizing Aliner Rallies for Eastern Canada, and I’m one of the organizers for the AOC North American Rally in 2023.