Propane line size

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
All inside appliances are low pressure. So you cant just switch the regulater. You can put a high pressure one in and a low pressure and re do the underside piping. Best bet, as allready stated, use one tank for the camper and the 2nd one for the HP stuff. Run a line from the front of the camper to what you want to have HP

bupkis

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
the buddy heater operates via low pressure internally, 11" water column, (like most backyard grills)
it is intended to be supplied container pressure propane and its regulator drops that to 11" wc
The big buddy has a quick connect (besides it standard screw on bottles that are regulated) that could connect to low pressure, this bypasses the internal regulator and is intended to be supplied by low pressure (11"wc) gas.

A coleman stove operates via high pressure internally, it is regulated to 15 psi. Again it is intended to be supplied via container pressure and the regulator drops that to 15 psi. If its regulator is removed than 15 psi gas would be needed to operate the stove.

to me this is the difference between high and low pressure appliances, the operating pressure internally. Container pressure is generally much higher than 15 psi and certainly higher than 11"wc or ~ 0.5 psi. There are some low pressure appliances that can have their regulator removed and then operate well via supplied low pressure. Some coleman PUs used a 16 psi regulator to supply gas to an outside stove designed for 15-16 psi (unregulated).

pipe diameter have very little to do with any of this.

Last edited:

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Since this thread is about Propane pipes and hoses, I thought I'd make a suggestion that just might save someones life. My son has a 2 year old hard-side camper trailer that I stayed in for 5 days last week. When I walked around to the front of the trailer, I could smell Propane. It turned out to be coming from the hose that goes from the tank to the regulator. I checked it with soapy water and found that it was leaking on both ends right at the squeeze coupling and not from the threads. This camper is only two years old. I would suggest that everyone periodically check those hoses for leak. Particularly in the newer campers. The build quality just isn't there on the new ones.