Propane Regulator, Trailer or Tank Mount

rlongfield

Mar 20, 2017
In my quest to get propane back and working on our PUP I'm in the market for a new regulator.
I'm pretty sure the one on the trailer was original and it was in questionable shape.

There are many options and they boil down to trailer mounted regulator on a bracket attached to the trailer, or tank mount where the regulator is attached to the coupler.
The trailer mounts are more expensive and require 2 separate hoses (which I also need to replace). The tank mount version just connects to the tank and has only 1 hose which is included (I'm wondering if the hose is non-replaceable).

I'm curious if the tank mount is a good option? 2 stage regulators are quiet long compared to single stage, and with the hose coming off I'm wondering if that might equal a lot of weight at the tank connection (especially going over bumps).
Or is it really a non-issue and nothing to worry about?

bupkis

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
NFPA 1192 Standard on Recreational Vehicles 2005 Edition

search or scroll down to "5.3.12.4 Low-pressure propane connections shall be in accordance with 5.3.12.4(A) through 5.3.12.4(C)."

(A) The connection between a regulator fixed in place and the propane supply system shall be made with a listed flexible hose connector or with material conforming to 5.3.2.
(B) The connection between a regulator not fixed in place and the propane supply system shall be made with a listed flexible hose connector.
(C) A two-stage regulator shall not be directly attached to the shutoff valve of a cylinder.

rlongfield

Mar 20, 2017
NFPA 1192 Standard on Recreational Vehicles 2005 Edition

(B) The connection between a regulator not fixed in place and the propane supply system shall be made with a listed flexible hose connector.
(C) A two-stage regulator shall not be directly attached to the shutoff valve of a cylinder.
So what I’m seeing a lot of are like the one in the link below.
I assume for B) there would need to be a bit of hose between the connector and the regulator.
Clearly this violates part C)

bupkis

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
Fixed tanks are not cylinders and the regulator can connect directly.

FWIW, my ole P U had the POL and regulator connected directly to the cylinder.
I replaced the POL with an ACME big threaded nut for ease (the POL is left hand threaded).
My mod worked fine.
2228194590100444047HDHVWm_fs_zps248fac04.jpg

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
Non issue. But it comes down to what was original. I would just replace it with what was on there. Mine was originally on the tank so that’s what I replaced it with. I didn’t need to replace the hose so this is the way I went:

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
You do want a 2 stage regulator and it will have a vent that has to point down so that water will not enter. I would avoid a cheap single stage that screws into the tank.

rlongfield

Mar 20, 2017
You do want a 2 stage regulator and it will have a vent that has to point down so that water will not enter. I would avoid a cheap single stage that screws into the tank.
A single stage regulator is a great way to experience some big flames

rlongfield

Mar 20, 2017
Non issue. But it comes down to what was original. I would just replace it with what was on there. Mine was originally on the tank so that’s what I replaced it with. I didn’t need to replace the hose so this is the way I went:
I have to replace everything before the copper tube. Hose from the copper tube to the regulator leaves black marks on my hands when I touch it. The hose from the regulator to the tank looks like someone cut parallel cuts the length of the hose. Needless to say I don’t fancy being a poster child for propane safety ;)

Thomas McComas

Jul 20, 2020
Minneapolis
My heater stopped working and I troubleshooted the regulator was bad. I replaced it with a new two-stage regulator bolted to the camper. I want to caution you that propane can cause serious explosion and damage so do your research and do it safely.

dalefan4ever

Jan 31, 2010
I have a 2008 Fleetwood popup, Cheyenne model. It has the high pressure outside stove. I have a leaking regulator that I am replacing. Above the regulator is an orange connector that allows a high pressure hose connection to the outside stove. Then it connects to the regulator to change it to low pressure for the rest of the trailer. What is that part called? I am a attaching a photo. Screenshot_20220805-091107_Photo Editor.jpg

rlongfield

Mar 20, 2017
I have a 2008 Fleetwood popup, Cheyenne model. It has the high pressure outside stove. I have a leaking regulator that I am replacing. Above the regulator is an orange connector that allows a high pressure hose connection to the outside stove. Then it connects to the regulator to change it to low pressure for the rest of the trailer. What is that part called? I am a attaching a photo.
It looks like in your setup has a 2 stage regulator that has been split.
The Orange part (that you are looking for) is the first stage regulator. It brings the pressure from the tank down to something like 14psi which is what your external stove (or BBQ) needs. After the orange regulator the high pressure gas flows into the 'T' and supplies your outside stove and it supplies the 2nd stage regulator (the white Part after the 'T') which drops the pressure down again to 11wc (water column) to supply the low pressure appliances in your trailer.
The 1st regulator (Orange) will unscrew from the metal 'T' and the supply hose. I am certainly not a propane expert but your local RV shop (or mechanic) will absolutely know exactly what you need when you show them this photo. This is also a great time to check the integrity of your hoses.

HillHoward

Nov 20, 2012
I was having trouble with my frig propane flame going out. I took it into an RV service place. They installed a new 2stage regulator. Still had problems with my propane flame. Later I looked at the regulator, which is on the frame....not tank, and it was installed by "pros?" upside down so heavies junk couldn't exit thereby fouling the regulator. (There is a proper direction to install these.) I bought a new one and installed correctly and everything works well! The reason you don't want to install directly on the tank...in addition to the standard...is in the event of an accident, the valve won't get sheared off opening the tank contents. Note that propane tanks have a "shield" around the valve...not only for a handle or two, but for "roll over" protection of the valve.