Protecting ID labels

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
Most campers now days have if labels inside a cabinet but what about the outside ones. What would you suggest to keep them readable?
Cover them with something,
Like clear vinyl
Clear paint
Wax
303 Protectant
Plexiglass
Just wondering what works for you.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
It used to be a model the baby jr. Lol. But we use them on the outside of the fire trucks. They are inside most of the time, but are out in the weather and snow a bit. Labels have lasted for years and still on good. Just wipe with alcohol or windex to clean before application.

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
I was talking about the factory installed labels ............ not new labels.
A friend of mine brought a 5 year old utility trailer and the VIN number faded. Took him 2 months to get a new label from the trailer manufacturer and he would like to have it last.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
Haven’t tried to use these outdoors, but they work well and are just a clear sticker.
Avery 73601 Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheets, 9 x 12 Inch, Permanent Adhesive, 50 Clear Laminating Sheets https://a.co/d/7SngqZ8
Sounds like a clear sticker. Talk of laminating had me picturing the two sided sleeve you use with heat.

I would guess the above product would probably work. I would also say paint protection film would. I applied it to the door sills of my truck about 4 years ago. It has held up great.

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
I would also say paint protection film would. I applied it to the door sills of my truck about 4 years ago. It has held up great.

That should work well ..... thanks

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
Needed replacement ID TAG from Forest River / Rockwood. Called several times to inquire about a replacement tag, you would think I was seeking nuclear launch codes. No joy, therefore made my own tag. Ordered a blank tag from Amazon, aluminum materiel. Used metal stamps to place letters & numbers on tag. I put the tag under the unit on a cross member with pop rivets. Still has original ID tag on the outside of frame, it is a little hard to read. I also took a picture several years ago, maybe one day I will get a replacement for the outside. Good luck with your project. See you on the trail.