PSA: popupportal is for pop up campers

geoffm3

Jun 21, 2010
I joined this forum when I used to own a popup. I have since gone to a travel trailer, but I still enjoy reading and learning from the experienced campers on this site, and I occasionally reply when I can offer some helpful advice.
Nothin' wrong with that!

Davylee

Camping = Life is Good
May 4, 2009
Maine
I too started on the portal with a pop up camper and than moved to hybrid down the road. However, I agree people should not disrespect the pop up just becasue they moved up. There are times when i wish I had it back to get into a tighter spot or smaller spot. Here in New England when we hold a rally we dont care what you bring for a camper as some people move to Hybrids or TT's and other show up in pop ups and aliners.

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
This is more of a general camper forum. It is like a sail boat forum where many have move up into power boats. As with anything being humble is nice.

kudzu

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 20, 2014
Knee deep in kudzu
I've not seen derogatory comments on pups that might have triggered the OP. Some of the listed pros are why my Aliner was a great first RV for me. Because of some special needs, I moved to a TH but have stayed on the portal. I don't regret the switch at all, but that doesn't mean I dislike pups. It just wasn't the right fit for me at this point in life.

Also, my pony doesn't go camping and there is no looking down on people from my "high horse". He is only 13.2 hands and I'm only 4'10". It's hard to look down on folks when you're still basically at eye level. [LOL]

crosbys2008

Super Active Member
Sep 2, 2013
Erie, PA
I joined the site when I owned my first popup. My wife was not overjoyed only because I was learning about all these awesome mods to do.. i tried many of them! After 2 popups I started having health issues with my back, my wife had a hard time closing up the popup. Our second camper had a king bed in the front and a 2ft storage box, she a hard time pushing it shut. So we looked at a hybrid, that worked but it was definitely small compared to our popup. We have a boy and a girl and decided they were getting to old to share a bunk. We found a camper that wasn't overly huge that had bunk beds. Nothing fancy, nothing over the top but what our family needs. We didn't want to get a camper that was nice than our house or so big a nice that we woukd be enticed to stay inside. I host a rally every year even though I no longer have a popup, but I've developed great friendships and we enjoy camping together and meeting new friends. To me it's all about the experience, the atmosphere and the friendship. I always say life is better around a campfire!

Get and camp and make memories!!

ka9nyn

Feb 9, 2006
Rockford, IL.
Isn't the whole point to just get along. If you have a TT, enjoy it. If a Hybrid, enjoy it. If a pup, enjoy it. Pass on tips, tricks and wisdom as appropriate. No need to denigrate or deride one type of camper vs another, as 'if it works for you, ENJOY IT!'

First time back in several years. Lets not turn this place of ease, comfort and info exchange into a reflection of the craziness that seems to be overwhelming the society at large.

Camp on!

BikeNFish

Super Active Member
Apr 24, 2017
Maplewood, MN
I've seen a lot of posts in here (and a few elsewhere) talking about how pop up campers suck, I hate them, they are such a hassle,
I can't say in my 5.5 years here on the Portal that I've ever seen this. I can say that I've seen a lot of "opposing opinions" on a lot of other topics, but never seen the hate you describe.

Whether you own a popup now or not is moot. I believe all who are members that own, have owned or want to own, all share the kindred spirit of the popup camper.

mostlyok

We're Mostly OK!
Jun 5, 2005
Sarasota, Florida
We owned several Pop-ups and loved them. I still miss them and the open feeling. we see them on the road and turn to watch. Love, love, love them.
For various reasons we don’t have one now but love being a member. Just because some one no longer owns one doesn’t mean their input and previous knowledge is not just as valuable.
We still proudly fly our Pop-up Portal flag!

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
On this site, one has always been able to "self identify"; one day you might be a tent, couple days later, you're a folding trailer, the next week a Hybrid, maybe a month from now a motor home, perhaps some w/ multiple personalities identify w/ all of 'em at once...

View attachment 88078

I'll see your Coocoo's Nest and raise you 12 Monkeys (where Terry Gilliam predicted COVID)

26ab8750-61c1-11eb-b9df-8bfb06acb3e2.jpg

SteelPlayer

Jul 5, 2020
Over the years, my family has ran the gamut: PUP, 18' TT, 29' TT, back to tents on the ground, and recently, back to a PUP. Camping is all about the experience - not one-upsmanship. I could own any of these (as many here could too), but choose the PUP for this time in our lives. It just fits for now. It may, or may not, change down the road. Our kids bought us a fixer-upper PUP for our 40th wedding anniversary, and it has been a wonderful project to shape it to fit the way we choose to camp. It was also great therapy for me, as I lost both parents around the time I was reconditioning the PUP. Another advantage: no monthly "reminders" of money owed for it! As someone else said : "you do you".

Camp4me2

Aug 27, 2021
I'm sorry if I offended you.

I'll move on. Would you mind becoming a financially supporting member and take my place?

I'll move on. Would you mind becoming a financially supporting member and take my plac

I'll move on. Would you mind becoming a financially supporting member and take my place?
You need to stay. Most TT owners were previous pop owners. A wealth of knowledge there. I try to use the motto "live and let live". And I currently own a fiberglass camper and a popup.

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
Blackwell Horsecamp in the Hoosier Nat'l Forest is great. And, you don't even have to have a horse to ride high on to camp there!!
We came across the horsecamp's of Custer State Park, SD, while gravel road touring by accident. Quite a lovely place and folks in that camp, so my joke was purely free sarcasm at its best. Ride on, Sally. Ride on indeed.