Quick opinions needed - which PUP!

wusthof

Apr 24, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Why does every thread have to devolve into a debate about towing capacity. The OP already bought a trailer, so it's not even relevant, and they never asked for input on towing.

To bring this back on focus, yes I believe 6V golf cart batteries are around the same price as a 12V group 27 battery. The 6V batteries need to be wired in series to create at 12V connection.
Sorry....must have missed he already bought it. Op. Gl with that trailer and tv combo

3fortheroad

Jul 31, 2021
Guys I am super excited to go on a road trip tomorrow to buy a PUP. I’m from a small town so I am going to a larger city a days drive away and have basically two options. Tow vehicle is 3500lb capacity hybrid highlander.

2012 StarCraft Comet 1020 - $7500
  • Hot water/ outdoor shower
  • Air Conditioning
  • Anti sway hitch included
  • King bed and full bed
  • Roof rack
  • 2950 GVWR
2008 Viking 2108ST - $5000
  • No hot water/shower or AC
  • 2 Queen beds (love this)
  • Included bike racks
  • 2800 GVWR
Both have electric brakes.

Which one do you think? If they are in equal-ish shape, as in no water damage or glaring maintenance required.

Originally I wanted a model with 2 queens because it would be the best fit for how we would sleep our family of 4. But I think we would be fine with the one double bed.

The StarCraft has lots of extras with it, but also a price that is 50% more!

Part of me wants to have a bare bones camping experience without the heavy added options like AC, but it would be very nice to cool down a bit at night during the hot summer months… and be able to have a shower if doing a longer outing..

I think I should be Ok to tow both…

Anyway, just looking for opinions as I know in the end I’ll have to make a decision once I see them. Thanks!!!

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
Here it is closed up in my driveway, just to prove I have it. It’s still threatening rain all week so I don’t really want to bother opening it up but when I do I’ll take more pictures.

One thing I’ve found is the battery is faulty, just had it on a tester at Canadian Tire. I was thinking of getting 2x Golf Cart batteries as a replacement, but I don’t know how to fit them on the tongue? What do people do when space is limited? Weld some supports on in front of the propane tanks to widen the mounting point?
For your configuration I would look at having the existing L-brackets where the battery is sitting removed and replaced with a longer set of L-brackets to house two battery boxes of appropriate size for the two golf-cart batteries.

Another alternative is to see if you can fit a Group 27, 29, or 31D in there as-is.

On mine, the propane is sitting in front of the batteries, and I was able to fit two group-24 batteries end to end. I would have preferred either golf cart (too tall) or group 27 (too long). But neither of them would fit.

z.saw

Aug 23, 2022
For your configuration I would look at having the existing L-brackets where the battery is sitting removed and replaced with a longer set of L-brackets to house two battery boxes of appropriate size for the two golf-cart batteries.

Another alternative is to see if you can fit a Group 27, 29, or 31D in there as-is.

On mine, the propane is sitting in front of the batteries, and I was able to fit two group-24 batteries end to end. I would have preferred either golf cart (too tall) or group 27 (too long). But neither of them would fit.
Thanks, I was wondering what people actually do to fit two with a tongue like mine! My friend may have a line on a cheap group 31, so if that battery ends up being in good shape still I’ll probably try and run that for now and see if I even need to go to a dual battery set up. Tongue weight is something I’d have to do some figuring on too.

TSS

Jan 17, 2022
NW Georgia
Guys I am super excited to go on a road trip tomorrow to buy a PUP. I’m from a small town so I am going to a larger city a days drive away and have basically two options. Tow vehicle is 3500lb capacity hybrid highlander.

2012 StarCraft Comet 1020 - $7500
  • Hot water/ outdoor shower
  • Air Conditioning
  • Anti sway hitch included
  • King bed and full bed
  • Roof rack
  • 2950 GVWR
2008 Viking 2108ST - $5000
  • No hot water/shower or AC
  • 2 Queen beds (love this)
  • Included bike racks
  • 2800 GVWR
Both have electric brakes.

Which one do you think? If they are in equal-ish shape, as in no water damage or glaring maintenance required.

Originally I wanted a model with 2 queens because it would be the best fit for how we would sleep our family of 4. But I think we would be fine with the one double bed.

The StarCraft has lots of extras with it, but also a price that is 50% more!

Part of me wants to have a bare bones camping experience without the heavy added options like AC, but it would be very nice to cool down a bit at night during the hot summer months… and be able to have a shower if doing a longer outing..

I think I should be Ok to tow both…

Anyway, just looking for opinions as I know in the end I’ll have to make a decision once I see them. Thanks!!!
Starcraft wins. But, get the dry weight online first. Then add weights for LP, battery, water and gear. I have used 80% rule v towing capabilities, I am cautious. We always remove the water tanks to get more storage, not a rustic camper. Had an hard top and would drain the hot water tank before hauling it to reduce weight. My '20 Rockwood 1640 dry is 1500lbs with it loaded we are about 2100lbs. Capacity is 2750 with Subaru and it pulls like a dream. Have brakes but not wired up for them yet. Good luck and have fun. PUPs are great!

z.saw

Aug 23, 2022
Starcraft wins. But, get the dry weight online first. Then add weights for LP, battery, water and gear. I have used 80% rule v towing capabilities, I am cautious. We always remove the water tanks to get more storage, not a rustic camper. Had an hard top and would drain the hot water tank before hauling it to reduce weight. My '20 Rockwood 1640 dry is 1500lbs with it loaded we are about 2100lbs. Capacity is 2750 with Subaru and it pulls like a dream. Have brakes but not wired up for them yet. Good luck and have fun. PUPs are great!
Thank you!! That’s the one I went with:)