Raise The Roof

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
I'm 6' tall and weight 145 pounds. I've been raising the roof single handedly for years. Last spring I had a stroke. The only damage is a little bit of memory. This summer I had Triple A surgery. There is a 14" incision running up the left rib cage from the kidney towards the arm pit. It's one of those surgeries where you pull the guts out, do your business, then stuff the guts back in the abdomin. I was released a month ago to try and raise the roof. I can't. Suggestions?

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I just wanted to wish you a quick recovery and hope all will be well as you heal. The only thing I can think of to get your roof raised is to get help. At least until you are more healed. A month is not a long time after such an intrusive surgery. What kind of restrictions did your doctor put you on?

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
I agree with @jmkay1, give your body time to heal. If your doctor has you on PT, follow the doc's and PT person's schedule. Too many do their PT with the therapist but fail to do their homework.

Hope your recovery goes well and you can get back out camping in the new year.

DanR

Aug 25, 2022
I had a different surgery (rods in the neck) but feel your pain. I also can’t raise my roof!

Last edited:

kudzu

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 20, 2014
Knee deep in kudzu
How much lift can you manage? If your roof goes up enough to step or reach inside, you can use push broom or dry mop or something similar to push the roof up from inside. You’re 14 inches taller than me so you might be able to do it without actually climbing inside. I, however, not only have to climb inside the camper but stand on a bed for added height while using my improvised push tool. I should have gotten a longer pole. 😁

Hopefully this is only a temporary setback for you. Sending well wishes and hopes for happy camping in the meantime.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
I'm 6' tall and weight 145 pounds. I've been raising the roof single handedly for years. Last spring I had a stroke. The only damage is a little bit of memory. This summer I had Triple A surgery. There is a 14" incision running up the left rib cage from the kidney towards the arm pit. It's one of those surgeries where you pull the guts out, do your business, then stuff the guts back in the abdomin. I was released a month ago to try and raise the roof. I can't. Suggestions?
I remember watching slim potato head, he used a 2× 4 I believe, I wonder if that would work for you?

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
I made a PotatoHead's leverage pole years ago and it broke. Guess the Expedition roof is heavier than the classic's but thanks for reminding me.

Surgery was 2.5 months ago. The 5 months before that is a very long complicated story including firing the first surgeon. Fortunately, my second surgeon was the professor on the subject who got off on complicated cases. He is the guy who invented the state of the art for those who couldnt do it the old fashion way. He gave me the choice of the state of the art or the old fashion way. He thought i was mean enough.most older people arent in good enough condition and automatically get state of the art which uses stents. I chose old fashion got thread and no stents. The stent surgery adds 4 months for teh stent to be custom made. The oldest stent case has lasted 10 years and counting. The thread is if you live thru the surgery, your done.

My problem is my local chill campground is sparsely occupied most of the year. I now remember this campground is overflowing til January. This is early deer season. There is a hospital 30 miles away that is electronically connected to my main hospital. Then there is the coptor if needed. Getting older and have to plan hospitals into my trips.

A triple A has no symptoms. It happens in smokers and the offspring of smokers. The only other triple A I know dumped a car off the jackstands and they MRI'ed him in the abdomen and saw it. They found mine in a wild goose chase looking for the cause of the last stroke.

I got the roof up using various lengths of 2 by 4". takes about 10 to 15 minutes. DW made me sit in a corner for 6 months so I wouldn't rupture and that atrophied my quadriceps. I'am walking twice a day for the last month. I'm camping in January.

A Triple A, for those who dont hang out at the ICU. They cut 7" of my aorta out at the kidney artery junction.

Thanks for the effort of your response.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
Wow! Glad that worked out for you. My dh has had loads of issues, one time, the 2nd to last cancer, I almost fainted, I'm not a fainter, but it's like wtf? Now we're both retired and bicker a lot, but I'm sure glad he's here to bicker with!

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Wow! Glad that worked out for you. My dh has had loads of issues, one time, the 2nd to last cancer, I almost fainted, I'm not a fainter, but it's like wtf? Now we're both retired and bicker a lot, but I'm sure glad he's here to bicker with!
quit with the bickering, both of you! Life is too precious to spend the golden years bickering.

bruce wayne

Jun 16, 2020
i'm vertically challenged (five'five), fat and old, but fortunately, my aliner came with stock wind poles. they work great. (probably only have to push about fifty pounds, due to the springs and the bungees).
going "nowhere fast" added lift assist (like on the trunk or hood of your car).
probably about due for new bungees, as i keep my aliner (up) a lot.

sleach

A short run will get you within walking distance.
May 17, 2014
Boulder, Colorado
I'm 6' tall and weight 145 pounds. I've been raising the roof single handedly for years. Last spring I had a stroke. The only damage is a little bit of memory. This summer I had Triple A surgery. There is a 14" incision running up the left rib cage from the kidney towards the arm pit. It's one of those surgeries where you pull the guts out, do your business, then stuff the guts back in the abdomin. I was released a month ago to try n extensible and raise the roof. I can't. Suggestions?
I have worn out the L4-L5-S1 joints in my lower back during a strenuous outdoor life. Find it very hard to raise the roof sections on our Chalet Arrowhead with worn out vee springs using the lift lever. I bought a pair of extendable heavy duty painter's poles. They adjust in length up to 10 feet. Put crutch tips on the working ends. Collapsed, they fit easily in the front storage box, and are useful for other things such as improvised awning poles.

Loosing the latches, our roofs rise only a few inches. Working from side to side I/we use the poles to push up the front roof, then push up on the rear roof until it engages. Lifting the side panels is not too difficult.

Project for early spring is designing and installing air springs on all four corners.

Burchard

Jun 17, 2022
Illinois
Good morning, I hope this note finds you and your families well.
I liked the lift device that was on slim potato head. The things that came to mind for me, was he mentions the placement of the device. I thought you could either mark the correct location on the 2x4. Or put a small stop block on the 1 1/2 inch side.
Also as far as using the water container as a counter weight. You could place it on there empty and gradually fill it with water. Then it would possibly lift it alone. You would need to put a small drain plug device to drain it, so you wouldn't need to lift it. In regards to the leverage pole breaking. Use a fir 2x4 if you can find them. Also making two poles and applying them it the same time with the water counter weight, filling them a little at a time on one side then the other, might work.
I'm inclined to agree with Hilldweller. Camp next to me , and I can help you!

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
Good morning, I hope this note finds you and your families well.
I liked the lift device that was on slim potato head. The things that came to mind for me, was he mentions the placement of the device. I thought you could either mark the correct location on the 2x4. Or put a small stop block on the 1 1/2 inch side.
Also as far as using the water container as a counter weight. You could place it on there empty and gradually fill it with water. Then it would possibly lift it alone. You would need to put a small drain plug device to drain it, so you wouldn't need to lift it. In regards to the leverage pole breaking. Use a fir 2x4 if you can find them. Also making two poles and applying them it the same time with the water counter weight, filling them a little at a time on one side then the other, might work.
I'm inclined to agree with Hilldweller. Camp next to me , and I can help you!
Careful, I may take you up on that!