Reading lights?

Sep 25, 2021
If you are a bookworm like me and read in bed, and often camp with no power hook up, and have to keep it from shining in your bedmate's eyes, what do you use as a reading light? I have a variety of clip on AA battery powered or rechargeable lights that are either too dim, too bright, the wrong color (blue), lose power too fast, hurt my eyes, or only light up half the book. I've been looking for something literally for years. I sleep right beside the sink so usually clip something there.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
I use our luci lights, solar powered. They're not overly bright, doesn't disturb my husband.
If you are a bookworm like me and read in bed, and often camp with no power hook up, and have to keep it from shining in your bedmate's eyes, what do you use as a reading light? I have a variety of clip on AA battery powered or rechargeable lights that are either too dim, too bright, the wrong color (blue), lose power too fast, hurt my eyes, or only light up half the book. I've been looking for something literally for years. I sleep right beside the sink so usually clip something there.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
We have an agreement. We go to sleep the same time every night. Unless someone is sick. It really helps you go to sleep quickly.

I have an LED headlamp that has low, med, and high while camping. Pick your intensity. If I wake up early, frequent, I have an old analog Harbour Fright headlight.

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
I am not sure reading at night is good for your eyes. That said, I dont think stairing at a screen all night is good either. I can't sit and bed and read, I end up with neck cramps. Do you use real books or a kindle?

Juesi Flat Book Light for Reading in Bed at Night Clear LED Book Full Page Light Illuminator Panel Plate Lamp Board Wireless (White) https://a.co/d/7i8uzhj

That works pretty well, but scratches oh so easily. I no long read at night, and use mostly audiobooks.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Hate to say it, that's why I switched to a Kindle reader. I was sick and tired of trying to find a reading light that was decent. Everything you mentioned was the same trouble and frustration I faced. I have tried so much junk and sware was invented by people who never opened a book in their life. I had an old fashioned one I used a lot at home but required an electric outlet so pretty worthless camping. I used a small magnetic tent light that I could attach anywhere on the canvas but I had to keep it low so it wouldn't disturb the kiddo but that limited where I could put my book.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I sometimes use a tablet with the Kindle app. I prefer paper but I like blowing up the font size so I don't need reading glasses. :p

It's nice that all the old stuff is free electronically, too.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I use my Kindle, although reading in bed isn't something I do much anymore, and only when I'm away or my husband is. (He has enough issue with falling asleep as it is.) With my progressive lenses, I can't get a comfortable position to read in bed for more than a few minutes. I usually just give up.
I bought this clip on, rechargeable light for my friend, when she goes with me, since there's a nice ledge for it to clip onto. We ended up not taking a trip together since I bought it, but I'm rather impressed by the light, and the choice of light "color". We'll see how it goes this year when she goes along.

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
Hate to say it, that's why I switched to a Kindle reader. I was sick and tired of trying to find a reading light that was decent. Everything you mentioned was the same trouble and frustration I faced. I have tried so much junk and sware was invented by people who never opened a book in their life. I had an old fashioned one I used a lot at home but required an electric outlet so pretty worthless camping. I used a small magnetic tent light that I could attach anywhere on the canvas but I had to keep it low so it wouldn't disturb the kiddo but that limited where I could put my book.
By any chance was it an ikea flex head with like a Hershey kiss shaped led light?

GaWalker

Nov 30, 2017
The Great State of Georgia
I used a headlamp with red LED back when I read paper books. I converted to e-books (borrowed from library) when I broke my shoulder. Holding a book and turning pages with one hand was difficult. I now use a Kindle Paperwhite which is e-ink and has built in backlight. I still prefer a paper book but and e-book is much easier in bed.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
By any chance was it an ikea flex head with like a Hershey kiss shaped led light?
No, but I think I know the one you are talking about as I have a slightly bigger version I use as a keyboard lamp that clips onto my desk or monitor. No, the old reading light I was referring to had A flex head but used a small incandescent night light bulb . I want to say I bought it nearly 20 years ago. My dog ended up chewing the wires on that one many years ago though And havent been able to replace. Of course now I have the kindle I don’t need one.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Kindle Paperwhite is awesome. However, I swapped to LEDs in my bunk lights and added a rotary dial dimmer to them. I can drop the brightness down pretty low, enough to read yet not disturb. I also have a since discontinued goal zero Luna USB flexible light that also works well.

kudzu

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 20, 2014
Knee deep in kudzu
I’m the partner who is disturbed by light. Can’t think of a single light we’ve had, set at enough brightness to read by, that wouldn’t disturb me.

While I understand the preference of reading paper books, I read almost entirely in my phone. There are really cheap tablets in which you can read ebooks. Might be worth it. If you’re just reading, with Wi-Fi & bluetooth turned off, most can go a good while between charges. You could read at bedtime many nights in a row between charges. Most reading apps let you make adjustments to colors, brightness, etc. I use a service with scanned copies of actual books. Most have pages the color of my old paperbacks. I love it.

SteveP

Super Active Member
May 21, 2015
Another benefit of the Kindle, over other tablets I've used in the past, is that it is easy to read in direct sunlight. The primary benefit of the Kindle over paper is I can carry a huge choice of reading material without taking up space in and adding weight to my luggage.

CO Hiker

Dec 6, 2015
Colorado
I've used 12v and 120v LED multicolor light strips for two reasons; you can adjust the brightness and color to suit your purpose. Choose red before going to sleep so if you do wake up in the middle of the night, red light doesn't kill your night vision or mess you up going back to sleep (plus the astronomy club mandates it for star parties). I bought the 12v kit from a local auto parts store (https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-inch-light-strip/ca04/23852?brand=true&pos=7). They are peel and stick so I installed it under the lip of the bed and under the edging of the sink. The 120v system I bought from Lowes but they have USB connected also (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Good-Earth-Lighting-84-in-Plug-In-Tape-Light-with-Remote/1001306088) and you can cut them to length using scissors without damaging the system. They USB you could plug in if your camper has a USB connector or you could use a pocket battery pack. I did cut the 12v connector off and just wire it straight to the solar controller "load out" side. Just FYI because everybody's background is different, but RGB LEDs use combinations of RGB to produce white, yellow, purple light.

Last edited: