Reserving Multiple Campsites

Would you reserve campsites on either side of you to prevent close neighbors?

• Would never think of doing this.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Have done this.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Have never done this but thanks for the idea.

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
My MIL was having car troubles, so she missed a day. We almost kept the site next to us empty and just paid the bill, but we were young and poor, so didn't.
Often, my dad will spin his RV around, because I can't simply with my travel trailer. It combines the sites for one giant super site. So, maybe the answer is inviting somebody along, once and a while?

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
The only place I would really feel the need to do that would be at private or RV parks but those places are way too expensive to even want to consider. Thankfully a lot of state parks I go to have a pretty decent buffer not perfect but if it backs up to forest I don't feel so closed in and more easily able to tune neighbors out. A few parks it would be more tempting but not to the point I want to spend my hard earned cash.

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
At some FL SP they have sites that don’t ever show up on the booking site. They are only used if a camper has problems with electric/water in their site, or at rangers discretion. Those sites have nice grass because they are rarely used.
So…I will book the one to the “right” if it’s available and has some shade.
I’m too cheap to book two, but appreciate the idea Steve.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
We stay almost exclusively in state park/ACOE campgrounds so we've never felt the need.

We normally enjoy chatting with our campground neighbors and have made some new friends in the process.

Drufus

Mar 19, 2020
This is a jerk move in my humble opinion, please don’t do this if you live in Washington state and are reserving at a popular campground. Reserving sites is very competitive. Families are missing out on creating memories because there are not enough sites as is. 6 month advance wait time, competing with bots, people reserving max days and then not using them. Lets just reserve what we need. If you require privacy and space, consider boondocking in remote forests.

Arruba

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 28, 2014
Central Oregon
Lets just reserve what we need. If you require privacy and space, consider boondocking in remote forests.

The responsible answer, (Ok I was one of the “thanks for the idea“ votes) is this for those that boondocking or the like is a possibility. I’m always surprised that even the little, out of the way USFS dry campgrounds around here are full most of, if not all week.

Good luck to all in your search for accommodations.

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
The responsible answer, (Ok I was one of the “thanks for the idea“ votes) is this for those that boondocking or the like is a possibility. I’m always surprised that even the little, out of the way USFS dry campgrounds around here are full most of, if not all week.

Good luck to all in your search for accommodations.
And I was the other one. 🤙🏼

RDWRER

Jul 31, 2015
Kentucky
There are legit reasons to do this. I have never done it before, but I AM doing it for an upcoming trip. I have a handicap placard and with the site I have there would be no place to park my vehicle. I simply cannot walk to the parking lot to access my stuff and/or go somewhere every time. So I reserved 2 sites. One for the trailer and one for the truck. It was the best I could do. And at the end of the day, I’m just doing the best I can under the circumstances.

Mark CASTELLANI

Platinum Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy but, yes, I'd do it (if I could find open sites... they seem to be going the way of the DoDo Bird)

there's an old saying...."Good Fences make for Good Neighbors"

we've camped for decades and, in the past, our "neighbors" we're of the like mind.. there to enjoy nature

these days, we're dealing, more and more, with people who love loud music, watching their 50" flat screen TV (no, not Tow Vehicle) bright lights and rarely out of their Tin Cans on wheels.... even @ CGs w/out hook-ups

Got NOTHING in common with these folks and I wish they'd stay home... used to be I could count on meeting folks who loved the outdoors... loved nature... loved the sounds, and smells of "wilderness". ...

I loathe that, for me, it's come to this, but, then again, I'm just a grumpy old man,

Happy Trails!

jonkquil

Super Active Member
Jul 20, 2009
There are definitely people out there that do this, for sure. When I was a tent camper, I would stay at an RV park by the beach, they have 9 tent sites and tents were not allowed in RV sites, so it was difficult to get a site. I was at the parks swimming pool & was chattin to an older lady who was at the pool with about 5 kids. She told me that she pays for a tent site at the park, gets her son to set up a small tent on her allocated site, stays in a luxury beach house a few blocks down, but books a tent site here so she can bring her grandchildren to the pool, and it was cheaper to pay $21 a night for a campsite than pay for a per person visitor guest pass!! What a cheek!!

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
A few years ago at the height of the pandemic I did take (and pay for) a double site. It was a first come-first served campground hours from anywhere and it was the only site left.

I've been scared to go anywhere without a reservation since, and few places we want to go take reservations. (I think the Forest Service wants different vehicles registered at each site, too. Havne't tested it and don't know if they'd check.) Have all those extra people stopped camping yet?

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
I'll admit to playing tent games. A few years ago we had reservations at a campground a county away that didn't reserve specific sites. You got what you got when you got there. I booked one day earlier than when I knew the crowds would show. I put a small tent in my motorcycle saddlebag and rode up bright and early on the first day of my reservation and put up the tent to stake my claim...lol

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Our neighbors this week reserved three sites for two campers, leaving the site in the middle empty for all their toys and such.

Everything is put away in the photo but they had Thad a "bouncy house" and a kiddie pool set up in those space.

Attachments

• 20220703_083447.jpg
    20220703_083447.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 20

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
A few years ago at the height of the pandemic I did take (and pay for) a double site. It was a first come-first served campground hours from anywhere and it was the only site left.

I've been scared to go anywhere without a reservation since, and few places we want to go take reservations. (I think the Forest Service wants different vehicles registered at each site, too. Havne't tested it and don't know if they'd check.) Have all those extra people stopped camping yet?
That is pretty bad, taking the last two sites at a come-first campground miles from anywhere. I would only do that if there were many empty sites.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
What if it was during a period where local, state, and federal health agencies were telling you to not leave your family bubble so nobody was "supposed" to use a double camp site for its intended use?

Why can't I get the last site somewhere? Why not me?

Would you have just left it and gone another 4 hours? Cool. You're a better man than I am apparently.