Roof question?

Hiball

Jul 3, 2018
I have a New to me 2008 Fleetwood Niagra and I’ve been working thru some small issues with the Help of the forum. When I initially purchased it, I knew I had some water infiltration issues due to some wrinkles inside around the AC. I quickly identified that the AC gaskets are prone to leaking with age based off past threads. I jumped over to Coleman pop up parts, watched a quick tutorial and had one on the way.

Long story short.. The camper has been up, pretty level both ways and it rained for 10 hours straight. I checked on it numerous times thru the day to put eyes on the interior, also to get a good look on how the canvas was holding up (beading etc) and everything looked good. I went outside a couple hours ago and noticed that there was water dripping at the AC and had been for awhile. I decided to lower the front of the trailer in hopes to run any water that was resting on top off the roof. It worked, so I went the other way and could hear water dripping inside, So armed with my flashlight I see water pouring out of the light fixture over the sink, Nice… fortunately there was already a bucket there catching the majority of it.

I guess my questions are, Outside of replacing the Gasket, looking for any roof cracks, Is there anything I should be doing? Once I get the roof AC removed, I plan on checking the roof with a straight edge to check for any sagging etc, Is that a common issue on these roofs? The camper floors are solid and it’s in pretty good shape so I want to treat the old girl right and definitely don’t want to deal with the issues with come with constant water problems.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I would:
-Check to ensure there are no signs of rot
-ensure everything is dry before proceeding

Assuming your roof is simular to mine with 2 trim strips down either side and 4 caps in the corners:

-The trim pieces should have butyl tape under them, but a bead of clear flexible sealant can be run down the edge the meets the roof line

-the 4 corners should have clear flexible sealant applied

-anything that protrudes into the roof (vent, AC, etc.) should have a generous bead of self leveling lap sealant applied around the seam

-all of the old sealant should be removed prior to applying the new products. Denatured alcohol will work well for this

I have attached pictures of the products I would recommend to use
Screenshot_20220924-072903_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220924-072857_Gallery.jpg

nitrohorse

May 27, 2015
NE Pennsylvania
PUP roofs are notorious for sagging in the AC area. I had an '04 Viking that sagged. Best advice I can give you is to coat the entire roof with Henry's Tropi-Cool coating. The coating is impervious to water ponding. I used it on two of my three PUPs and never had an issue with roof leaks.

1664020528810.png

Hiball

Jul 3, 2018
Thanks for the advice.. The pup is up right now so going of memory that it’s a solid 1 piece roof with no seams in the middle and the only factory hole is the AC. I went ahead and ordered the pro flex RV for side strips and end caps. In regards to the AC hole and New gasket, Should I be sealing around the outer rim of the gasket, or just let it do its job?

Hiball

Jul 3, 2018
It will not hurt to put sealant around the AC unit. I would use the dicor lap sealant.
I haven’t removed the Ac yet, so im not sure how much access I’ll have after I set it in place with the New gasket. I’ll get some of that stuff coming and attempt to make a nice thick Bead/Dam around it after installing/compressing the seal.

Thanks again.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
It will not hurt to put sealant around the AC unit. I would use the dicor lap sealant.
I think that would depend on how and where you put it? If it sticks to the plate the movement might brake the sealent free. I think thats why they use a compression gasket. The bounce and the weight of the ac would make the sealant fail? Just a guess anyways. New gasket, use locktight on the nuts and resecure it after a trip. Check the nuts for tightness each year.