Roof weight capacity: 2008 Flagstaff LTD/MAC 228D

Rover4

May 7, 2022
Any chance anyone knows the weight limit/capacity of a 2008 Flagstaff Model LTD/MAC 228D when fully raised (in popped up position)? Currently it only has a fan (no AC). Looking at potentially running two 10 foot unistruts along the roof sides and connecting them with two unistruts across the top with two 15 pound solar panels mounted on the unistruts. This way I can tap into the sides of the roof as I don't want to drill into the top of the roof itself. Anyway, total added weight would be about 62-67 pounds. I did just email Forest River too, so will see if I get a reply from them. Appreciate any information!

Best,
Scott

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
What about something like this:
It’s lighter, probably no need to drill holes. You could just toss them on the roof before you lifted it.

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
What do you want to accomplish? A suitcase panel will allow you to move around with the sun. If your in a shady spot something fixed on the roof limits the sun.

Rover4

May 7, 2022
Yes, I have gone back and forth with the idea multiple times. Having them mounted of course potentially limits the sun time. Main purpose would to be simplify set up/take down. I already have panels that work great (albeit not light weight) so rather not invest in more panels.

On a side note, even if I don't ultimately mount the panels, I'd like to know what kind of weight the roof can safely hold. I may still end up mounting the unistut to use as ability to carry extra gear/kayak/other items if needed (though would not lift the roof with them on).

OTR1522

Jun 9, 2018
Forest River installs Pro Rac bars on the roofs and they say 150lbs max- I used aluminum strut channel from Grainger to mount my solar panels to the racks- they sell in 10ft pieces but are much lighter than regular strut channel. They work great- I was able to run all wiring inside the channels making a very clean install
Apologies did not see that you asked in full raised position but a typical AC Unit weighs 60-100 lbs so since you don’t have one as long as you stay under that weight you should be fine

Last edited:

OTR1522

Jun 9, 2018
Just found this on a FR Forum-
I exchanged e-mails with the Forest River Warranty Administrator about placing a rack on a HW296. Here is his direct quote from the e-mail...

"The roof can handle up to 200 lbs. of weight but it does need to be distributed to the out edge of the roof as that is where the framework of the roof is at. As long as you are fastening at the edge of the roof and not exceeding that weight limit then you shouldn’t have any problems."

Rover4

May 7, 2022
Forest River installs Pro Rac bars on the roofs and they say 150lbs max- I used aluminum strut channel from Grainger to mount my solar panels to the racks- they sell in 10ft pieces but are much lighter than regular strut channel. They work great- I was able to run all wiring inside the channels making a very clean install
Apologies did not see that you asked in full raised position but a typical AC Unit weighs 60-100 lbs so since you don’t have one as long as you stay under that weight you should be fine
Thanks. Yeah, I heard back from Forest River and they said the AC units typically weigh about 65 lbs so if I stay within that weight range I should be fine, and like you said, distribute the weight evenly. I decided to use the aluminum strut channel from grainger to keep weight down. Should work well for my needs. Thanks again!