Running out of ideas for my 3-way Dometic not cooling on propane

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Well, here is a surprise for me. I opened up the camper to do some minor maintenance and cleaning. I decided to fill my 3-way with some water bottles and a one gallon milk jug full of water. Then just for the heck of it, I turned it on using Propane. With the Fridge being full, it made a big difference on the inside temperature. I also turned on the little battery operated box fan that I keep in it. At 6:30 this morning the temperature was down to 31 degrees (F). This afternoon, with the outside temperature sitting at 103 degrees (F), the inside temperature only went up to 43 degrees. The camper is sitting in direct sun light, but the Fridge side is shaded. I did have the external fans running as well.

The other little mod I did was to the exhaust "T" pipe behind the Fridge. I turned it so that it was pointing directly at the vent cover and away from the cooling fins. Then I make a small wooden channel to isolate the T and forced all of the exhaust out toward the outside of the camper. I also move the upper fan to a new location more over toward the T to help pull the hot air out.

One other thing I'm going to do is find a way to fill in that dead space directly above the fins. I suspect that it is trapping a lot of the hot air in that space. I'll think of something.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
IMO don't box in the fins.
No, I wasn't thinking about boxing in the fins. I was thinking about maybe a baffle above the fins. Just something to close up that dead space between the top of the fins and the bottoms of the cabinet. I was just thinking. I may not do anything at all. It seems to be working pretty well as is. I just like to experiment.

Last edited:
Reactions: NLB