Safe to use a BAL Leveler on a Rockwood Highwall?

CleverGirl

May 17, 2020
I know the BAL is a hot topic here, but I couldn't find a thread that answered this as directly as my anxious brain needed.

We just upgraded from a 1990 Jayco Cardinal SD to a 2022 Rockwood Premier Highwall. Quite the change! Haha!

The camper itself weighs 3334 lbs (before adding gear and people, of course), per the owners manual we got with it. Would it be safe to use a BAL leveler on it at this weight? I picked a BAL up, and was super excited to be able to level this new rig with ease, but now I'm nervous we're waaaaay past the weight limit. Can anyone help? Has anyone used a BAL on a Highwall consistently with success?

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
You would be pushing it. The rating is 2000lb. Assuming your trailer to be 4000lb when loaded and 10% on the tongue that would mean you're lifting 1800lb at the wheel.

Our dry weight is 2900lb, and if I have to lift the wheel more than a few inches I don't use ours as it really takes a good cranking to get it to lift the trailer (I put a bar over the ratchet to crank it and I really have to put my weight into it)

You technically fall within manufacturers specs, but I don't think you'd have a great experience using it.

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
I used it on my Fleetwood Sequoia high wall. I used a drill and socket adapter so I didn't have to sweat. It worked fine but I did have to use a jack to spread the ends apart to go around the tire.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I use one on my Fleetwood HW (Arcadia) which weighs about that. I have raised it very high (with a tire iron I might add, as we'd forgotten just about everything on that trip). It felt okay compared to the other things we had to stick under the stabilizers...[PSA: make a checklist!]

I think it is okay, especially for the typical lifts done in most campgrounds.

CleverGirl

May 17, 2020
You would be pushing it. The rating is 2000lb. Assuming your trailer to be 4000lb when loaded and 10% on the tongue that would mean you're lifting 1800lb at the wheel.

Our dry weight is 2900lb, and if I have to lift the wheel more than a few inches I don't use ours as it really takes a good cranking to get it to lift the trailer (I put a bar over the ratchet to crank it and I really have to put my weight into it)

You technically fall within manufacturers specs, but I don't think you'd have a great experience using it.
Good to know! This one is so much heavier than our previous model, I had my head spinning trying to take everything into account! I really appreciate you sharing your experience with a PUP of a similar weight class.

CleverGirl

May 17, 2020
we used a BAL with our HW277. it worked, but took some muscle to use it.
Same model and everything! Did you use the BAL often with it? Do you feel like it was secure and safe?

Hate to be a pest, but I have such a worrywart brain, and I get nervous about the BAL suddenly collapsing under the weight and destroying our new baby.

CleverGirl

May 17, 2020
I used it on my Fleetwood Sequoia high wall. I used a drill and socket adapter so I didn't have to sweat. It worked fine but I did have to use a jack to spread the ends apart to go around the tire.
If we decide to try it, I will definitely be checking that the tires fit! Good to know you can give yourself some wiggle room on size using a jack to adjust the ends.

Do you feel like it handled the weight of your camper/oocupants/gear okay?

CleverGirl

May 17, 2020
I use one on my Fleetwood HW (Arcadia) which weighs about that. I have raised it very high (with a tire iron I might add, as we'd forgotten just about everything on that trip). It felt okay compared to the other things we had to stick under the stabilizers...[PSA: make a checklist!]

I think it is okay, especially for the typical lifts done in most campgrounds.
Tire iron, you say? That sounds like something we would have to improvise. Haha! Since switching campers, I forgot how much stuff was just in our old setup. We've forgotten something everytime we've gone out.

You feel like it's secure under the weight of your camper, then? I worry it will suddenly collapse and cause major damage. I don't even know if that's a reasonable concern, but it's where my brain goes.

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
Same model and everything! Did you use the BAL often with it? Do you feel like it was secure and safe?

Hate to be a pest, but I have such a worrywart brain, and I get nervous about the BAL suddenly collapsing under the weight and destroying our new baby.
used it all the time - for the 6 years we had it. yep, secure and safe - but like i said, it takes some effort to raise it. we usually did not need much of a lift to level it where we tend to camp.
we really enjoyed our HW277 - we bought it in 2010 and traded it in in 2016 for our current hybrid. hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoyed ours.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I guess if it collapsed while you were cranking it, there might be a risk for personal injury. The trailer would be fine--the tires and axle are made to bounce after all.

If it collapsed while set up, your stabilizers would keep the trailer from crashing hard but you wouldn't want it resting on the stabilizers any longer than necessary...hopefully you'd notice.

Generally I do think it's secure under my camper. When I had it really high, everything else was messed up and I wasn't totally happy with the overall setup. (FYI, a cooler on a slope is a crummy step.) It was a terrible campsite. Luckily I had to put my truck crosswise in front of the trailer to fit it into the site so if the trailer collapsed it wouldn't have rolled onto the road?

CleverGirl

May 17, 2020
When in doubt, toss it out...imagine the screams & sheer terror were it to collapse & go careening thru the campground, mowing over everything in it's path, having to explain to the authorities what happened [{:)]...may have went too far w/ that one lol, but I'd reckon on the side of caution...
Hahaha! Quite the vivid picture you paint, friend. 😂 Only slightly more dramatic than the worst case scenario my brain could concoct. Lol!

CleverGirl

May 17, 2020
Used it all the time - for the 6 years we had it. yep, secure and safe - but like i said, it takes some effort to raise it. we usually did not need much of a lift to level it where we tend to camp.
we really enjoyed our HW277 - we bought it in 2010 and traded it in in 2016 for our current hybrid. hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoyed ours.
Thank you for sharing your experience! Definitely puts my mind at ease if we decide to give it a try. ♥️

We love our HW277 so far!

Last edited:

CleverGirl

May 17, 2020
I guess if it collapsed while you were cranking it, there might be a risk for personal injury. The trailer would be fine--the tires and axle are made to bounce after all.

If it collapsed while set up, your stabilizers would keep the trailer from crashing hard but you wouldn't want it resting on the stabilizers any longer than necessary...hopefully you'd notice.

Generally I do think it's secure under my camper. When I had it really high, everything else was messed up and I wasn't totally happy with the overall setup. (FYI, a cooler on a slope is a crummy step.) It was a terrible campsite. Luckily I had to put my truck crosswise in front of the trailer to fit it into the site so if the trailer collapsed it wouldn't have rolled onto the road?
Thankfully, we haven't encountered a site with enough slope that I think we'd be cranking it up high, but definitely a good factor to consider! Glad to hear you felt it was secure on your PUP, though.

Latest posts