Safe to use a BAL Leveler on a Rockwood Highwall?

Annunzi

We have a 2020 hw277 and have used the BAL leveler over the past year. It's definitely maxed out with the weight of the highwall. I had to use my impact gun to turn the screw, as the tool that comes with the BAL is useless.

Last trip, the impact really struggled raising the BAL and it's horribly loud, so I've switched to the Camco tri-leveller. It fits nicely in the exterior storage hatch under the kitchen. The BAL was also awkward to store. We used a pizza delivery bag to store it.

jonkquil

Super Active Member
Jul 20, 2009
I tried to use my BAL once with my HW. It was too much effort trying to wind it up, it was easy using it with my previous pup (Fleetwood Westlake) so I felt like I was pushing the weight limit with the HW, tried the Anderson Leveler, yeah....nope! so decided to go back to good-ole-fashioned blocks.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
Weird. I never had trouble lifting mine with the BAL when I had a proper ratcheting wrench.

The wrench it comes with is kind of trash but I still use it without difficulty.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Weird. I never had trouble lifting mine with the BAL when I had a proper ratcheting wrench.

The wrench it comes with is kind of trash but I still use it without difficulty.
I always used a 3/4" drive ratchet, but once you get to 5+ inches of lift it really was pushing the limits of me, and the product

natomato

Jun 13, 2016
I realize this is a couple of months old now, but wanted to add our experience anyway. We purchased a BAL leveler for our first PUP, then last year we upgraded to a larger (and heavier) PUP. We definitely noticed it was harder to crank up the BAL. Today my husband told me that we need to get a different leveling system; the threads on the BAL stripped out due to the excess weight. I would recommend using something different for your HW.

Now that I know the BAL isn't hefty enough for our larger PUP, what recommendations do you all have for a leveling system? I really liked the BAL, and I'm at a loss for what to get to replace it.

Annunzi

We had the exact same issue as @natomato, the BAL couldn't handle the weight of our highwall after a few uses. We tried the camco tri-leveller, but the platform for each step was very small, and the wheel would fall off the leveller when we'd disconnect the trailer from the SUV.

We are going to try the Camco xl levelling blocks, in the hopes of making an area large enough for the tire to sit on and be stable.

Last edited:

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Now that I know the BAL isn't hefty enough for our larger PUP, what recommendations do you all have for a leveling system? I really liked the BAL, and I'm at a loss for what to get to replace it.
I use something called the Anderson leveler. You just drive up on it. It does have a couple downsides though. Using it on wet grass tends to act like a slide vrs ramp, you are also limited on hight. I think it’s 3”. I often use those lynx levelers or just some scrap wood. Unfortunately not As simple as the Balance Lever but overtime you get a pretty good feel for how much hight you need and be able to stack appropriately.

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
while i used the BAL all the time on the highwall - it does not work for my current camper. I now use lynx levelers - often called lego blocks. I back in, get out the level and i can usually tell how high i need to go by how far off the bubble is. If i need to level - it is usually one layer, every once in awhile i may need two layers. Not a biggie. and those legos are used for other things too (stabilizer pads, step support, leveling a table, getting the Blackstone griddle just right for grease drainage....)
Just a note: I did not use an impact drill on the BAL - i just used the wrench it came with. Never did strip the screw but as i already mentioned - it did take some effort to raise the tire. usually only needed an inch or so.