Search Issue

teh603

Dec 28, 2020
Coastal Texas
Can we get "ram" removed from the list of words too short to be searched? Or some exception for it? Someone looking for "ram 1500" (for example) is going to get all instances of "1500" only because "ram" is too short and gets automatically excluded from the search.

There is a workaround using Google and a crafted search string, but it'd be a lot nicer to stay on the portal.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Btw, for a true search use Google and direct it to this forum using the site modifier

Common search techniques​

Search social media​

Put @ in front of a word to search social media. For example: @twitter.

Search for a price​

Put $ in front of a number. For example: camera $400.

Search hashtags​

Put # in front of a word. For example: #throwbackthursday

Exclude words from your search​

Put - in front of a word you want to leave out. For example, jaguar speed -car

Search for an exact match​

Put a word or phrase inside quotes. For example, "tallest building".

Search within a range of numbers​

Put .. between two numbers. For example, camera $50..$100.

Combine searches​

Put "OR" between each search query. For example, marathon OR race.

Search for a specific site​

Put "site:" in front of a site or domain. For example, site:youtube.com or site:.gov.

Search for related sites​

Put "related:" in front of a web address you already know. For example, related:time.com.

See Google’s cached version of a site​

Put "cache:" in front of the site address.

Important: Not all search operators return exhaustive results.

Last edited:

teh603

Dec 28, 2020
Coastal Texas
Dunno if the screencap is going to display, but it still excludes "ram" from the search string.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 4.07.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 4.07.29 PM.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 5

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Search can be a bit tricky - for the past several days I have been searching for where the red ebrake wire is in my 2011 Jeep Liberty - to no avail. I sometimes included its terminating (dead end) splice #. I also looked under Dodge Nitro - the sister ship. I included some or all years - 2008 thru 2012. And so forth.

Today, out of desperation - I entered a very long form of my question into Google Search - and got a totally new and very promising hit. Too bad that the vehicle behind this promising answer appeared to have a dealer-installed wiring harness, and not a factory installed wiring loom.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
The "Search" is a feature of the software and cannot be modified.

This is one reason I have made the site with so many boards and try to monitor new posts so that if the user didn't put it in the correct board, I move it.

How many times someone will post "I don't know if this has been asked but how do I _____ the roof" and it's put in one of the very, very, top boards "General Camping Discussion Forum". Even though, there's a whole board about the roof. It seems that a lot of people just need to be let to the water.