Sequoyah State Park, Hulbert, OK

cowboiler

Oct 25, 2021
Oklahoma
We stayed at Sequoyah State Park near Hulbert in late September in our popup. Our spot was in the Choctaw campground that included full hookups. All the spots are paved/concrete and pretty level so setup was a breeze. It was about 1/10th mile walk to restrooms down a lighted sidewalk path. The bathrooms were clean enough, but we were never able to get hot water at the showers. We were probably going at peak times and there were a lot of tent campers there as well.

The state park sets on Fort Gibson lake. We took kayaks for the kids to play on. You can also rent kayaks from a self-serve kiosk, but I think they were about $30 for a couple hours. The water isn't very clear, but it was nice. There are miles of paved trails there, I was able to get a 5 mile run in no problem and avoid running on the road.

There is a nature center there with a bald eagle, red foxes, coyotes, and otters. The kids enjoyed getting to see those animals up close.

The state park has a lodge that was recently renovated. There is a Swadley's Foggy Bottom restaurant there. The food is kind of pricey but very good. The state has added this restaurant to a lot of state parks in Oklahoma, a good move on the state's part in my opinion. It was nice to have a great meal after getting camp set up without immediately having to start cooking. The state park also has a golf course which appears to stay busy on Saturdays.