SO EXCITED!!!! (70's camping magnet)

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
When I was a little boy, and we went camping, my father had a rubber magnet on the dash of his truck that was always indicative of our camping hobby. As an adult, I could not remember what it said, only what it looked like. Today, I just found it, and am so psyched!!! It was a little magnet with a camper on it and it says "Wheel Estate". I just bought it!!

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I have a similar story, although it has noting to do with camping. But it has the same theme as what you describe above. In 1952 or 3 when I was a very little boy of 6 or 7 I lived right next to the house my grandfather built in 1909 in the little town of Grimes California. The water well was right out in back of the house and had a small wooden structure around it. One day I was playing in the yard when I spotted a "Sword" hanging on the inside of the door. I thought it was a sword, but in actuality it was a World War II Japanese bayonet. Where it came from I have no idea. I can only assume that my father brought it home from the Pacific war. He was born and raised in that house and lived in it with his mother for a short time after the war.

So I decided that I had to have that sword so I could play with it. I can vividly remember running around the yard chopping anything that got in my way. Then the lady of the house caught me chopping on the beautiful old Orange tree growing in the yard. She took the sword away from me and I never saw it again. My grandfather passed away in 1930, and my Grandma died in 1950. So the house was being rented to some friends of the family. When the last member of that family passed away, the house was sold to a very nice young Mexican couple who built a new home right next to the spot where I was raised. I met them and we became friends. I go back up home to visit with them every now and then.

Fast forward 65 years. About 4 years ago on one of my annual vists he told me that he was cleaning up the yard and found some buried "artifact" that were from my grandparents time. He said that he found some old bottles, a 1919 vehicle license plate, and an old "Knife". He asked me if I wanted to have them. I said, "Are you kidding?" So he went out and retireved them from his shed. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw the"knife". It was the Sword (bayonet) I had played with as a little boy. I was instantly transported back in time and became somewhat emotional. It was apparently buried all those years ago and was in pretty bad shape. Today that Sword if on display in my livingroom. Rust and all!

My sword.jpg

Zfamily4

Jul 25, 2014
St. Cloud, Minnesota
I have a similar story, although it has noting to do with camping. But it has the same theme as what you describe above. In 1952 or 3 when I was a very little boy of 6 or 7 I lived right next to the house my grandfather built in 1909 in the little town of Grimes California. The water well was right out in back of the house and had a small wooden structure around it. One day I was playing in the yard when I spotted a "Sword" hanging on the inside of the door. I thought it was a sword, but in actuality it was a World War II Japanese bayonet. Where it came from I have no idea. I can only assume that my father brought it home from the Pacific war. He was born and raised in that house and lived in it with his mother for a short time after the war.

So I decided that I had to have that sword so I could play with it. I can vividly remember running around the yard chopping anything that got in my way. Then the lady of the house caught me chopping on the beautiful old Orange tree growing in the yard. She took the sword away from me and I never saw it again. My grandfather passed away in 1930, and my Grandma died in 1950. So the house was being rented to some friends of the family. When the last member of that family passed away, the house was sold to a very nice young Mexican couple who built a new home right next to the spot where I was raised. I met them and we became friends. I go back up home to visit with them every now and then.

Fast forward 65 years. About 4 years ago on one of my annual vists he told me that he was cleaning up the yard and found some buried "artifact" that were from my grandparents time. He said that he found some old bottles, a 1919 vehicle license plate, and an old "Knife". He asked me if I wanted to have them. I said, "Are you kidding?" So he went out and retireved them from his shed. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw the"knife". It was the Sword (bayonet) I had played with as a little boy. I was instantly transported back in time and became somewhat emotional. It was apparently buried all those years ago and was in pretty bad shape. Today that Sword if on display in my livingroom. Rust and all!

View attachment 84796
What a great story! I can only imagine the emotions that brought up so many years later.