Sometimes I’m reminded…

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Sometimes I’m reminded how thankfull I chose a popup with my current suv. I love camping in the mountains and I found a new place I wanted to try 7 hours from home. I know to those near the Rockys these “hills” are nothing, but I can tell you my suv was saying otherwise on one hill. This hill was steeper than Ive seen and it just kept on going up and the switch backs were very tight. I was slowing up, the rpm needle was creeping up and no end in sight. i was in the red for a couple minutes before I crested the top. Had a couple upset people behind me, but nothing I could have done. If I had a TT I don’t think I could have made it with the added wind resistance and there is no turning around on this tight mountain road. Much smoother sailing after that until I got to my campsite. I’m faced with another steep hill my campsite was on top, the driveway broke out to a v midway up before it straightened out again, tree branches hanging low over the drive and a nice big tree right at that V. I had to back up in by myself and that was a challenge As all you saw in the mirrors was camper. Sure a TT could have made it, but by one’s self I'm sure something would have gotten scratched not to mention another stressor to an already complicated process. It was actually a nice campsite in the trees once on top although had to use all my lynx blocks and the Anderson leveler just to level the darn thing. Of corse after such a long and stressful trip and getting everything level I had no energy left to even want to set up. So there are those moments when having that TT would have been very nice. This place was beautiful and well worth the trip, but by golly amazing how much a 3500 camper can weigh when going up hill.

jmkay1

Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
You’ll have to keep us posted @jmkay1 - sounds like you have an interesting trip back down ahead of you!
Going down wasn’t too bad however I did discover my suv no longer goes into low gear. I can move between third And second gear fine just wished I could have used more engine breaking power and I seriously wish they thought to put pull offs on that road. After driving in the mountains I usually like to find a place to pull over to give my breaks a rest before continuing my trip but there was nothing i could safely use without fear of getting stuck. Bad enough I had a doh! moment and committed a classic towing 101 mistake and failed to look for a way out at a gas station before committing to it. Thank goodness the gas station had a old gravel driveway to a shed on the side that I managed to back the camper in to turn back around and only kissed those cement pillers in front of the pump With my bumper.

jmkay1

Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
That's why I got a Ram with a HEMI after my Jeep blew up. No sweat towing. It's so much more relaxing.
One of these days I may upgrade to a full size truck but citys are not really made with full size trucks in mind. A neighbor has to park his extended bed work truck in a storage yard as it is.

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
Ahhh, but the memories now...

No matter the size of the setup, there's always some type of catch to keep it interesting.

I recently did a trip where the switchback was so beyond extreme, it ended up causing us to jackknife while at extreme inclines. THAT was fun getting out of.

Glad you got out alive and with a good story.

Arlyn Aronson

Super Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Houghton, MI
When we got our "small" truck*, we had also test drove the new 150's. My gosh, it was like piloting freighter around town. Darn happy with the ranger and its size

* Ranger is about the same size as older 150's.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
When I bought last truck, I wanted enough for the next trailer. My current trailer is about 6500 lbs. My truck is rated to tow 15k and has a 4100lb payload. It doesn't break a sweat on the steepest of grades up or down. I've done a lot of 400 to 600 mile days. Having enough vehicle regardless of the conditions makes for a much more pleasant tow.

Last edited:

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
Gollee gee, glad you made it. But considering the '03 Toyota is pushing 20 yrs old, you did all right. Are you saying that current PUP weighs 3500 lbs?? All the more congrats to you on making it.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Yikes, what Jeep went? We use 2 of them.
2014 JKU with a little over 150,000 miles, manual trans, Pentastar engine. Sucked a valve and blew the head.
I had the MaxCare Lifetime Warranty and it was fully covered. However, COVID closed the supplier for the parts and there were 450 other Pentastars across North America sidelined ahead of me waiting for the same parts.
So the dealer gave me the trade value as if it was already repaired. And in May of 2020 the dealership was a ghost-town, dropping their drawers on the 1500. In other words I got a great deal.
My Jeep was purchased by one of the techs that had been servicing it for 6 years. Yeah, he got paid to rebuild his Jeep.

Gone but not forgotten

vacation2016.jpg

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
2014 JKU with a little over 150,000 miles, manual trans, Pentastar engine. Sucked a valve and blew the head.
I had the MaxCare Lifetime Warranty and it was fully covered. However, COVID closed the supplier for the parts and there were 450 other Pentastars across North America sidelined ahead of me waiting for the same parts.
So the dealer gave me the trade value as if it was already repaired. And in May of 2020 the dealership was a ghost-town, dropping their drawers on the 1500. In other words I got a great deal.
My Jeep was purchased by one of the techs that had been servicing it for 6 years. Yeah, he got paid to rebuild his Jeep.

Gone but not forgotten

View attachment 86708
So sorry to hear that!

We have a 2012 JK (new engine at 90K due to prior owner idiocy) and a 2019 JLU. So far everything's been OK with towing 2 pups, but I'm constantly on my guard. When I was a kid, our family always used Chevy V8's..

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
I wanted a Gladiator and they were dropping their drawers even more for the one on the lot (Overland Edition) with a manual trans. But I'm 6'5" and in 2020 the soundbar was still in a location that I hit my head on it no matter how I adjusted the seat. They've fixed that issue and I fit in them now. Which makes Hilldweller a little sad. sigh
But the 1500 is more functional. Not as much fun, but more functional
sigh again

20210703_100316.jpg

This was really the most fun though:

070-Copy_zpsdb365943.jpg

Latest posts