Spring opening

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I love and hate my first camping trip in the spring. Because my camper is in offsite storage I usually don’t get a chance to open the camper before my first trip. So I’m usually always afraid to open the camper yet the same time excited I finally Get to go out. It’s almost like every spring there is always some surprise awaiting me. Sadly it appears my roof is leaking yet again but because I had an old tarp over her it wasn’t terrible, and because I store my curtains/bedding at home over winter nothing was really moldy and too disgusting. By the time I got everything set up temps went down to 32 so attempted to turn the furnace on. Nothing Happened. Ugh! At first I was afraid the awning lights work my dad and I did just before winter screwed something up although the lights and everything else worked. Until It dawned on me that the thermostat wires are in the same cabinet as my pots/pans and found a loose connection and soon the magic sound of the furnace lighting up. Yay! First night was upper 20’s and windy. Hate the cold wind, it has a tendency to squeeze through the smallest cracks. However Saturday was sunny and low 70s so had a great day enjoying the warmer weather soaking up the sun. cracked out the Dutch oven and joined friends for a potluck. It only got down to 50 Saturday night so only used my electric Heater and was nice and comfortable if not too hot. Athough my campsite had working water I didn’t bother dewinterizing as its too risky this early in the season. Sunday sadly was pack up day and first time it did not rain when closing up. Next up spring maintenance and figure out what to do about my roof. just hope the spring showers holds off until after I work on it.

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
at least you got out - i am getting ready to tow our camper to the dealer for some minor repairs (yeah - made the appointment back in Nov and this was first available) - our first camping outing is not until May....
hope the leak is an easy fix

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
at least you got out - i am getting ready to tow our camper to the dealer for some minor repairs (yeah - made the appointment back in Nov and this was first available) - our first camping outing is not until May....
hope the leak is an easy fix
Bummer. Hope they get it fixed quickly for you. Sadly don't have any other camping plans myself yet.

mike Behrend

Aug 1, 2018
I opened ours up one spring when is was still chilly out and the plastic windows just cracked and fell apart...boy did that bum me out....wish I sat it outdoors in the sun for a couple days to make things more pliable before I opened it...well live and learn I suppose.

TSS

Jan 17, 2022
NW Georgia
I love and hate my first camping trip in the spring. Because my camper is in offsite storage I usually don’t get a chance to open the camper before my first trip. So I’m usually always afraid to open the camper yet the same time excited I finally Get to go out. It’s almost like every spring there is always some surprise awaiting me. Sadly it appears my roof is leaking yet again but because I had an old tarp over her it wasn’t terrible, and because I store my curtains/bedding at home over winter nothing was really moldy and too disgusting. By the time I got everything set up temps went down to 32 so attempted to turn the furnace on. Nothing Happened. Ugh! At first I was afraid the awning lights work my dad and I did just before winter screwed something up although the lights and everything else worked. Until It dawned on me that the thermostat wires are in the same cabinet as my pots/pans and found a loose connection and soon the magic sound of the furnace lighting up. Yay! First night was upper 20’s and windy. Hate the cold wind, it has a tendency to squeeze through the smallest cracks. However Saturday was sunny and low 70s so had a great day enjoying the warmer weather soaking up the sun. cracked out the Dutch oven and joined friends for a potluck. It only got down to 50 Saturday night so only used my electric Heater and was nice and comfortable if not too hot. Athough my campsite had working water I didn’t bother dewinterizing as its too risky this early in the season. Sunday sadly was pack up day and first time it did not rain when closing up. Next up spring maintenance and figure out what to do about my roof. just hope the spring showers holds off until after I work on it.
Planned a trip this week to SC, but weather is getting nasty. Too cold for PUP camping. So for a week, I opened up, checked all the "stuff" inside, then repacked. How can two old people need so much "stuff"?!

IndyRick

Mar 7, 2019
Indianapolis, IN
Fortunately, we got your temps on Saturday, too. I'm headed to Austin, TX, to visit family next week, and wanted to have a shakedown first. I made a reservation in Nashville, TN (I figured it waould be a bit warmer, and it's just a 4-hour drive), but the forecast improved so much that I switched to Nashville, IN (less than 1 hour). Beautiful Saturday, without rain Saturday night. Sunday was warm, clear, and breezy, so I could fold up completely dry. All set to head south.

JLE

May 10, 2019
Calgary AB
We just went out to our storage site yesterday to check on our a-frame and water and ice everywhere - inside! Looks like we also have a leak in our windows. Like you, we store most everything relating to bedding in our home over the chilly Canadian winters. Thankfully the lovely thick mattresses were dry. There was a small build up of ice and snow on the roof that was quickly melting on a lovely late winter sunny afternoon so hopefully this isn't something that will be a big problem once we get out camping in a month or so. We made 90 days of great camping last year with few leaks so fingers crossed for 2022!

Attachments

• IMG_3371.jpeg
    IMG_3371.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 21
Jul 20, 2014
I redid my whole roof after a tree branch fell on it a few years back. There is a Roof Coat paint available at hardware stores that creates a waterproof seal that works very well. You might also want to replace the putty around the top vent (and check the seal of the vent itself). I was fortunate the branch did not break that!

kreckley

Jun 28, 2021

In 2016, after weeks of scrubbing mold off the canvas of my 1995 popup, I replaced all of the putty on the exterior which had become dry and cracked. It has not leaked since. But, in 2021, the beds would not set up properly. After weeks of waiting for parts, installing parts, waiting for more parts etc. and spending lots of money and time, the pulley system was like new, but the beds still did not open properly. With the cupboards out of the popup, I could see the heavily black stained plywood that was under the linoleum. It never dawned on me until I was putting the cabinets back in the popup that the black staining was most likely mold. It tested positive. I suspect the mold started when I had the leak 5 years prior. I suspect that the mold has grown on the plywood in the roof as well. Moral of the story... just because the leak is repaired and the visible mold gone doesn't mean that the mold has stopped growing in places you can't see. You could find a nice surprise years down the road. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

kreckley

Jun 28, 2021
In 2016, after weeks of scrubbing mold off the canvas of my 1995 popup, I replaced all of the putty on the exterior which had become dry and cracked. It has not leaked since. But, in 2021, the beds would not set up properly. After weeks of waiting for parts, installing parts, waiting for more parts etc. and spending lots of money and time, the pulley system was like new, but the beds still did not open properly. With the cupboards out of the popup, I could see the heavily black stained plywood that was under the linoleum. It never dawned on me until I was putting the cabinets back in the popup that the black staining was most likely mold. It tested positive. I suspect the mold started when I had the leak 5 years prior. I suspect that the mold has grown on the plywood in the roof as well. Moral of the story... just because the leak is repaired and the visible mold gone doesn't mean that the mold has stopped growing in places you can't see. You could find a nice surprise years down the road. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Warming up nicely down here in TX, but we were not able to make long distance plans. Senior year for our son, lots of college visits for scholarships, and DW starting to look for a job. Went to check yesterday for possible weekends and everything was booked solid for several months out. I suspected that was going to be the case again this year, but it was sobering to confirm. I miss the days of deciding to go camping a week or two out, and always finding a spot in the SP I wanted to go to.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
I miss the days of deciding to go camping a week or two out, and always finding a spot in the SP I wanted to go to.
I hear ya. We can sometimes still do that if we're ok with forgoing hookups (which we generally are) but sometimes even those are booked up well in advance for the more popular parks.

Red Ryder

May 30, 2019
Oh no!😧, black mold is a very likely indication of “Stachybatrys” (sp?). A VERY toxic strain of mold. When I worked as a facilities manager in health care, we were required to have it remediated by a licensed abatement contractor. Definitely NOT something you want to tackle as a DIY project. You don’t want to spread the spores anywhere near your residence. It’s pretty insidious stuff!

New Old Jayco

Sep 23, 2021
Warming up nicely down here in TX, but we were not able to make long distance plans. Senior year for our son, lots of college visits for scholarships, and DW starting to look for a job. Went to check yesterday for possible weekends and everything was booked solid for several months out. I suspected that was going to be the case again this year, but it was sobering to confirm. I miss the days of deciding to go camping a week or two out, and always finding a spot in the SP I wanted to go to.
My parents are in TX and they have had good luck finding spots for camping, with some searching. Try looking at river authority campgrounds around TX. (They recently visited Lake Texana near Victoria and loved it.)

campgma

May 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Sorry for the troubles, but I have to say I'm more than a little jealous that people are popping up for spring already. We just got 5 inches of fresh new snow over the weekend.
I am in the same boat. Won't get out until June for several reasons, but I can still so some cleaning and repair/ updates until then.