Stack jacks

pup pup

Sep 7, 2022
Chicago Suburbs
I've read through most of the 'leveling your camper' section and have a better idea on how pop ups should be leveled but still have some questions:
  • I was wondering why the wheel came off the front and it didn't swing up like on a boat trailer - that is considered the tongue jack? Is a piece of wood sufficient under it or should you use a brick?
  • The camper came with 2 stack jacks. I put them in the front corners when I first set it up but am thinking they should go under the rear corners because the tongue jack takes the front end weight, correct?
  • Should I get two more stack jacks to put on all four corners to distribute the weight?
    • If not, it's ok to have the weight on the tires and the tongue jack, utilizing the stacks on the back to keep it from flipping up?
Thanks!

Not sure if my signature will attach yet so I have a 1983 Scamper 139C.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
You level with the tires, NOT THE FRAME ..
The stack Jack's are for stabilizing the trailer to minimize movement when you walk around inside. YES, place them on the rear of the trailer. I never used the wheel on my tongue jack, I used either an 8x8 piece if old railroad tie or my Lynx Levelers under the tongue jack.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I have had two popups’s over the years. The first one was like you describe the wheel came off when ready to tow. my current camper jack does swing up when ready to tow. I personally do love that style the most as the crank handle is out of the way as well. As far as why there is a difference in the first place, I don’t know. However, most campers including travel trailers have a tongue Jack the first style.

As far as stabilizers… having stabilizers in all for corners is ideal. My first camper a 1990 off the assembly line only came with one set in the back I believe the front set was an “option“ at the time. Stupid if you ask me. I was with my folks when they first purchased that popup and they made sure to have it installed. Thankfully all current campers have stabilizers in all four corners.

gasmater

Jul 26, 2007
Aurora, CO
I've read through most of the 'leveling your camper' section and have a better idea on how pop ups should be leveled but still have some questions:
  • I was wondering why the wheel came off the front and it didn't swing up like on a boat trailer - that is considered the tongue jack? Is a piece of wood sufficient under it or should you use a brick?
  • The camper came with 2 stack jacks. I put them in the front corners when I first set it up but am thinking they should go under the rear corners because the tongue jack takes the front end weight, correct?
  • Should I get two more stack jacks to put on all four corners to distribute the weight?
    • If not, it's ok to have the weight on the tires and the tongue jack, utilizing the stacks on the back to keep it from flipping up?
Thanks!

Not sure if my signature will attach yet so I have a 1983 Scamper 139C.
I use the stack jacks in the rear. I do have stabilizers in front but never use them. I have a swing down in front and carry a piece of plywood for the gravel drives.