Staying cool camping in blistering heat.

nitrohorse

May 27, 2015
NE Pennsylvania
Yes.

If you like the damp salty type of cooling...
I bought an 8k portable unit that I used in my previous PUP. I fabricated an enclosure around the bottom of the unit so that I could use a flexible tube to draw outside air to cool the compressor and condenser. If you can, get a unit with two hoses as they work better. The one hose units can be tweaked to use two hoses, but it's not a simple task. The one hose units actually take cool air from the room to cool the condenser and compressor and then vent it outside. This creates a negative pressure (vacuum) in the PUP and draws warm air in from all the leaks in the canvas, around the door, etc. I was able to run the 8k unit off my Honda 2000 Inverter genny.

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
I bought an 8k portable unit that I used in my previous PUP. I fabricated an enclosure around the bottom of the unit so that I could use a flexible tube to draw outside air to cool the compressor and condenser. If you can, get a unit with two hoses as they work better. The one hose units can be tweaked to use two hoses, but it's not a simple task. The one hose units actually take cool air from the room to cool the condenser and compressor and then vent it outside. This creates a negative pressure (vacuum) in the PUP and draws warm air in from all the leaks in the canvas, around the door, etc. I was able to run the 8k unit off my Honda 2000 Inverter genny.
If my roof air ever quits, that is exactly what I will do.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
Shore Power and AC is a must for me in hot weather....When outside i have floor dryer fan that tilts up
and throws out a ton of air....The heat does limit what and when you can do some things.

Musictom

Gold Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2021
In addition to all the other great suggestions, don't forget clothing. A number of years ago, we visited Chichen Itza. (the last year you could still climb it!) Our tour guide wore long pants and a long sleeves shirt, in addition to a wide brim hat. By the end of the tour, I wished I had dressed as he had!

Having said that, I called "Uncle" this year and installed a 14.5k Furrion AC on the top of our PUP. BEST upgrade I've made so far!

BBQdave

Aug 31, 2016
North Carolina
One of my main tricks is to keep acclimated to the heat.
I work at a State Park in NC. My Park truck is a 1998 F150. AC does not work.
Lots of water, some Gatorade, and ice water on my head :) It is surprising how you can acclimate to that environment.

I cheat and seek the mountains in the summer if I’m going to dry camp.
Exactly :) When I retire again, will head up in elevation and/or North for Summer camping :)

The best you can do for yourself in heat is stay hydrated!

kudzu

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 20, 2014
Knee deep in kudzu
I would like to find like a 6k ductless unit, if anyone has any ideas. I did a test on my pop up. It's so tiny really a 3k ac would be fine. These new Inverter ones are really good. I have a 8k window one, and if you start it up, it's actually a soft ramp up. I can run it off my 1000w generator.
I have an 8k portable that, while effective for one room, is inefficient compared to a window unit. I replaced it with an 8k, window mount, Inverter unit. Love that thing! It works so well and is much quieter and the more traditional window units. Wish my TT had that type instead of the monstrous, roof mount model. Mind you, my roof AC cools quite well but it is a noisy power hog. Told the new owner of the Aliner that if the AC every failed, he should seriously consider replacing it with an Inverter unit.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
TX summers suck in a pup for sure. I have been able to survive, but sacrifices must be made. I camp only at water/electric sites. Roof air helps, mine is 13.5k btu, but if I am in sun or the temps top 100 it really struggles. Reflectix in the bunk windows, the dinette and the galley window. I leave the big curbside window open, and almost always deploy the awning to keep that side in shade. A couple fans inside to help circulate the air, and PUGS over the bunks and slide out dinette. This is usually sufficient to keep me in the mid 70s during the day, sometimes lower if I have good shade. If the shade is poor, or I know it will be 102+ I will bring along my 2nd A/C - a small 8k btu portable. I will run it off the power pole and set it on a cabinet. With it running to supplement the roof air I can keep it into the high 60s during the day, and if I forget to turn off the portable I'll see mid 50s at night.

It works, and you get used to the noise after a while. Honestly the roof air is so loud the portable doesn't really add much to it. I had to do this in order to work remote for a couple weeks rather than take PTO for my son's day camp, made it bearable for sure.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
I have an 8k portable that, while effective for one room, is inefficient compared to a window unit. I replaced it with an 8k, window mount, Inverter unit. Love that thing! It works so well and is much quieter and the more traditional window units. Wish my TT had that type instead of the monstrous, roof mount model. Mind you, my roof AC cools quite well but it is a noisy power hog. Told the new owner of the Aliner that if the AC every failed, he should seriously consider replacing it with an Inverter unit.
I have # few mideas... They have been so awesome!

big poppy

"Not all who wander are lost".
Jul 8, 2014
Central Texas is a great mix of, I can not believe I am sweating there, to not bad I can survive. I agree with Steve, we stay acclimated. We utilize all the recommendations as stated to stay cool. Fans are our best hedge against the sweltering heat, that and minimal clothing. At our age it is about comfort with decorum. We camp year around except for December to February. We love the camp. Will continue until we can no longer make camp for ourselves. That should be when we are about 90 or older. See you on the trail.
Have you tried Solar blankets over the canvas?
BH and I saw a pop on Galveston Island with solar blankets over the canvas. We did the same, but on the cheap! Huge difference, like a cave in the Texas heat!!!
Expanded our camping seasons.

big poppy

Jul 8, 2014
BH and I saw a pop on Galveston Island with solar blankets over the canvas. We did the same, but on the cheap! Huge difference, like a cave in the Texas heat!!!

Attachments

• 20170527_100634.jpg
    20170527_100634.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 13

big poppy

Jul 8, 2014
TX summers suck in a pup for sure. I have been able to survive, but sacrifices must be made. I camp only at water/electric sites. Roof air helps, mine is 13.5k btu, but if I am in sun or the temps top 100 it really struggles. Reflectix in the bunk windows, the dinette and the galley window. I leave the big curbside window open, and almost always deploy the awning to keep that side in shade. A couple fans inside to help circulate the air, and PUGS over the bunks and slide out dinette. This is usually sufficient to keep me in the mid 70s during the day, sometimes lower if I have good shade. If the shade is poor, or I know it will be 102+ I will bring along my 2nd A/C - a small 8k btu portable. I will run it off the power pole and set it on a cabinet. With it running to supplement the roof air I can keep it into the high 60s during the day, and if I forget to turn off the portable I'll see mid 50s at night.

It works, and you get used to the noise after a while. Honestly the roof air is so loud the portable doesn't really add much to it. I had to do this in order to work remote for a couple weeks rather than take PTO for my son's day camp, made it bearable for sure.
Excellent!
We have incorporated the same strategy. Many a 4th and Labor Day's have been enjoyed through the Texas heat!!
Happy camping!!!

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
We do have Gizmos that we have used for several years, high wind series. Makes a lot of difference in the heat. We also camp in places that have a ton of shade, both overhead, and West facing. We do so look forward to our camps, we enjoy the outdoors, nothing can deter us from going. Thanks my Friend for the info. Enjoy the camp. See you on the trail.

nitrohorse

May 27, 2015
NE Pennsylvania
Another addition to insulating the pup is to use foil insulation on the main cabin walls. I bought a roll of 48" "Reflectix" and cut it to length to fit along the front and rear walls of the pup. It tucks down between the canvas and the attaching rail and the curtains hold the top against the canvas. I have velcro that I will use this trip to improve the fit. This will be my first time trying the foil insulation this way. The downside is that it will darken the inside, but to me, the reduction in heat is hopefully worth it. My next plan is to cut pieces of the insulation to fit in the bunk end windows.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
I don't live in the Deep South

<GGGGGG>
I may have just a little bit of experience with this.
1) I was smart and got a Aliner. 1" of Styrofoam matters
2) I have a Cool Cat
3) I don't boondock between late June and mid Sept.
4) Altitude is your friend. 3.5*F per 1,000' MSL.
5) Head for the Arctic areas like NY
6) Why do you think I spend so much time at SMNP and higher.
7) I'm used to it.
8) I get up before 5:30 AM and get it done by 11 AM.
9) There is no cure for what I am sitting in right now. Man up.
10) I'll swap A/C bills with anyone.!!!!
11) park in the shade<<GG>
12) I wear a hat . Sun up to sun down
13) I dont wear sunscreen
14) I dont look at the temperature. Destroy your thermometers. Buy new in winter
15) Look at #9 again

Heat index, the reverse of wind chill

16) I havent bought a non White vehicle since the 80's

Last edited: