Sway Bar Necessary?

Ronal Owens

Jun 27, 2021
Sway bars keep the wind and other forces that cause the trailer to sway from exerting too much stress on the tow vehicle, allowing the trailer to be recovered. The trailer will not fishtail since the tow vehicle may continue driving forward.

Last edited:

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Hi

thanks to all who answered my newbie questions so far.

My next one is : dealer is recommending i get a Sway Bar. That means a whole new hitch AND BALL too. Im towing with a hyundai santa fe SUV. pup WEIGHS 1450 dry - my SUV RATED for 2000 pounds.
Im new to this - have never towed a camper.
Should i pay the extra $300 for this sway bar?
Im scared about braking while going downhill and pup going faster than the SUV.

LOGICALLY my brain says it shouldnt swing or jackknife. But in my mind i can see it happening.

thanks for any input.

lynn
SUV rated for 2,000 Lbs? IF your camper is "listed" as 1450 dry its likely heavier - go to a CAT scale (truck scale) and see that it weights. By the time you load it, you are most likely over 2,000 Lbs.

My placarded dry weight was 200 Lbs below the actual dry weight.

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
I agree with Anthony. You now have only 550 pounds to work with until your beyond your tow limit. This includes the weight of any people in your vehicle and anything you load into the car and trailer, which means water, propane etc. Probably not an option but if it were me, I'd feel better with vehicle that had a higher tow rating.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
The 2,000 Lb is likely the Gross Trailer Weight stated in the vehicle's owners manual.

not to be confused with the GCWR = Gross Combination Weight Rating (Tow Vehicle and Trailer and all cargo in both and fuel and spare tires on the camper etc.)

My Aliner and our trip "stuff" puts our GCWR at 96% - which surprised the heck out of me. Our trailer is <1,900 Lbs loaded.

Michael J

Aug 9, 2018
Michigan
Hi

thanks to all who answered my newbie questions so far.

My next one is : dealer is recommending i get a Sway Bar. That means a whole new hitch AND BALL too. Im towing with a hyundai santa fe SUV. pup WEIGHS 1450 dry - my SUV RATED for 2000 pounds.
Im new to this - have never towed a camper.
Should i pay the extra $300 for this sway bar?
Im scared about braking while going downhill and pup going faster than the SUV.

LOGICALLY my brain says it shouldnt swing or jackknife. But in my mind i can see it happening.

thanks for any input.

lynn
If you have the correct drop or raise hitch I seen this on Amazon it my work for you?

Latest posts