Taking the PUP back in time!

sekmomof4

Aug 14, 2015
I'm just throwing around some ideas about how I want to "remodel" the interior, and one of the things is the countertops/cabinets. The current counters are badly damaged, so I thought dh could build a simple countertop with some kind of ply and a laminate, but instead of the rubber edging, could we use a metal edge?? Mainly bc I really am leaning towards a retro look. plus I thought we could round the edges and it would bend nicely. something like this maybe?
33969d1278987583-i-got-beat-up-job-red-retro-counter.jpg

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Google retro trailers and you'll get lots of ideas. I was just looking at a site yesterday that sold retro Formica, the stainless banding as well as retro house appliances..

sekmomof4

Aug 14, 2015
OH! going to google the Shasta! And def will be googling retro pop ups! What I really need is to decide on the color scheme. One that'll be ok with the hubs too. Because we will most likely end up painting the exterior as well, and not sure he'd be down with an robin's egg blue theme! [LOL]

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I do like the retro metal edging. One of the folks on the FB Retro owners group replaced the counter-tops, table, storage hatch, etc. with a "more retro" laminate and did the metal edge. Looked wonderful, but I'm not going to ask DH to replace perfectly good counter.

sekmomof4

Aug 14, 2015
kitphantom said:
I do like the retro metal edging. One of the folks on the FB Retro owners group replaced the counter-tops, table, storage hatch, etc. with a "more retro" laminate and did the metal edge. Looked wonderful, but I'm not going to ask DH to replace perfectly good counter.

ours looks like a dog chewed on it! I recently got to tour a tiny house near us and the owner had used a cool boomerang laminate top and painted the kitchen cabinets a funky aqua color! I was in love [:P]

Hoosier Daddy

Super Active Member
Jun 24, 2014
I know it's a "canned ham" but show this to your DH and get a knee-jerk reaction.
1955-aljoa-trailer-02.jpg

This doesn't seem too hard to adapt for the inside.
fba56ba6197e960976198ff2a29d52a4.jpg

sekmomof4

Aug 14, 2015
Hoosier Daddy said:
I know it's a "canned ham" but show this to your DH and get a knee-jerk reaction.
1955-aljoa-trailer-02.jpg

This doesn't seem too hard to adapt for the inside.
fba56ba6197e960976198ff2a29d52a4.jpg
swoon... oh I love it! I'm thinking something like that but with red? We are KC Chiefs fans after all...

sekmomof4

Aug 14, 2015
I'm also thinking about alt's to painting the "walls" of the pup. I am def going to paint the cabinets, but want some pattern, and was thinking of using a cool wrapping paper and mod podge followed by a coat of polly?
il_340x270.527673018_9ohw.jpg

Hoosier Daddy

Super Active Member
Jun 24, 2014
Careful not to make it too "busy".. maybe do a print you like for the cushions and have the walls/cabinets a solid matching color?

Since ya'll are KC fans I suggest green and yellow.
Packer Backer since the 60's [:D]

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
I would suggest doing a pattern on the cushions and keep the cabinets a solid pastel colour that contrast with the cushions and table/counter top patterns ..

Red and Yellow print fabric.. https://www.sanderson-uk.com/shop/fabric/50s-fabrics/mobiles/?code=DFIF220035

Lots of repro fabrics https://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2.aspx?Source=Header&SearchText=reproduction&CategoryID=1d5f47dc-9991-4088-93f3-26a376046a5e

For the table top http://www.wilsonart.com/laminate/virtual-design-library/retro/retro-diner-y0071

For the counters http://www.wilsonart.com/laminate/virtual-design-library/sports/footballs-y0018

sekmomof4

Aug 14, 2015
After pulling up an interior pic of the same camper I realized that there isn't really any wall space! lol So the pattern thing is out. I actually like the green and yellow combo, but I know that's the first thing dh would think of! [LOL]

Snow- thanks for the links! So far dh likes this color combo-
bliss-inventive-palette-teal-orange.jpg

but I am thinking something more like this-
color-scheme-140-main.png

I also found this and am in love- one for each end
81XZLengP%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Hoosier Daddy

Super Active Member
Jun 24, 2014
Your minds eye vision is much better than mine. I honestly could not tie it all together... Will say I am Diggin the throw pillows pattern!

sekmomof4

Aug 14, 2015
I had to have those fabrics for the pillows! I know it's hard to see it all together right now, but hopefully I will be able to share pics down the road of it all done!

Latest posts