tell me about Door Cty!!

wifun

Apr 16, 2012
Please tell me the must see and stay aways of Door Cty. also good camp grounds (i like quiet/trees/fishing/trails...not looking for the big places that offer pools and things like that)..thanks!!

Lisa0nly

Lifelong Camper
Aug 5, 2011
SE Wisconsin
I would try the state parks on the peninsula. I think there are three now. If you're camping mid week more likely to find a site.

Take in a fish boil-- kinda tradition up there! There are also like 12 lighthouses on the peninsula.

try this http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/ to find campsites within the state system.
Good Luck!! Happy Camping!! [CP]

Steph

I've gone there for the past two years now to go salmon fishing in Lake Michigan. Cherry picking is usually July-August. They are also well known for their fish boil. If you like fish, it's worth trying this at least once. Scaturos does a fish boil in Sturgeon Bay. Most places you have to have a reservation to get in, but it's worth seeing. There is a winery that you can go through, I think it was in Fish Creek. In Egg Harbor there was a small home brew pub on the main road through. State Parks are really nice there. No matter what you do there, you'll enjoy it!

Here are some sites that might help out, if you need to talk to someone who really knows the area, I know a couple guys that live and work in the area between Green Bay & Door County.

www.doorcounty.com
dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/peninsula/DCparks.htm
www.wagontrailcampground.com/
www.frontierwildernesscampground.com/
www.Scaturos.com - fish boil

I've been through the area quite a bit and am now getting excited for July when we go fishin' again!

wifun

Apr 16, 2012
Peffer said:
I've gone there for the past two years now to go salmon fishing in Lake Michigan. Cherry picking is usually July-August. They are also well known for their fish boil. If you like fish, it's worth trying this at least once. Scaturos does a fish boil in Sturgeon Bay. Most places you have to have a reservation to get in, but it's worth seeing. There is a winery that you can go through, I think it was in Fish Creek. In Egg Harbor there was a small home brew pub on the main road through. State Parks are really nice there. No matter what you do there, you'll enjoy it!

Here are some sites that might help out, if you need to talk to someone who really knows the area, I know a couple guys that live and work in the area between Green Bay & Door County.

www.doorcounty.com
dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/specific/peninsula/DCparks.htm
www.wagontrailcampground.com/
www.frontierwildernesscampground.com/
www.Scaturos.com - fish boil

I've been through the area quite a bit and am now getting excited for July when we go fishin' again!

Thanks for the links ill check them out!!

wifun

Apr 16, 2012
Rynderz said:
I would try the state parks on the peninsula. I think there are three now. If you're camping mid week more likely to find a site.

Take in a fish boil-- kinda tradition up there! There are also like 12 lighthouses on the peninsula.

try this http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/ to find campsites within the state system.
Good Luck!! Happy Camping!! [CP]

Someone else just told me to go to that state park...looks like the place we will be staying! Thanks!!

hawkee

Mar 4, 2011
We just returned from a week camping in Door Cty - the week following Memorial day - and had a great week despite the cold temperatures. We stayed at Egg Harbor Campground which is about 2 miles east of Egg Harbor right on hwy 42. Being as schools in Wis had not let out yet, the campground was very quiet (we were the only ones there in our half of the campground from Monday through Friday) and it was very peaceful. We were back away from the highway which minimized some of the traffic noise and we bordered on a golf course. That got a little noisy in the morning as their maintenance crews got started for the day but if you are an early riser... it will be no problem. Rates were good, facilities were clean and well maintained. The shower house was new and showers were free. Nice laundry facilities. The owners and staff were very friendly and helpful. Look to buy your firewood outside the campground as they charged $5 a bundle for pine. We will definitely go back.

In Door Cty you are never far from anything and it is certainly worth driving around to discover - they have wonderful state and county park systems. We especially enjoyed Peninsula State Park, Whitefish Dunes State Park, Door Bluff Headlands and Cana Island Lighthouse. We took our dogs along for the hikes and at Whitefish Dunes there is a section of beach that is dog-friendly. They had a blast (as did we)! If shopping is your thing, there is no shortage of that. I highly recommend Stone's Throw Winery (Cty A and E intersection between Egg Harbor and Bailey's Harbor). I believe it is one of the top wineries in the state - if not the best.

Summer is peak tourist season (of course) and Door Cty is a huge destination for boaters and vacationers - expect weekends to be crowded! Fish boils are worth experiencing (once!) to say you did it.

wifun

Apr 16, 2012
hawkee said:
We just returned from a week camping in Door Cty - the week following Memorial day - and had a great week despite the cold temperatures. We stayed at Egg Harbor Campground which is about 2 miles east of Egg Harbor right on hwy 42. Being as schools in Wis had not let out yet, the campground was very quiet (we were the only ones there in our half of the campground from Monday through Friday) and it was very peaceful. We were back away from the highway which minimized some of the traffic noise and we bordered on a golf course. That got a little noisy in the morning as their maintenance crews got started for the day but if you are an early riser... it will be no problem. Rates were good, facilities were clean and well maintained. The shower house was new and showers were free. Nice laundry facilities. The owners and staff were very friendly and helpful. Look to buy your firewood outside the campground as they charged $5 a bundle for pine. We will definitely go back.

In Door Cty you are never far from anything and it is certainly worth driving around to discover - they have wonderful state and county park systems. We especially enjoyed Peninsula State Park, Whitefish Dunes State Park, Door Bluff Headlands and Cana Island Lighthouse. We took our dogs along for the hikes and at Whitefish Dunes there is a section of beach that is dog-friendly. They had a blast (as did we)! If shopping is your thing, there is no shortage of that. I highly recommend Stone's Throw Winery (Cty A and E intersection between Egg Harbor and Bailey's Harbor). I believe it is one of the top wineries in the state - if not the best.

Summer is peak tourist season (of course) and Door Cty is a huge destination for boaters and vacationers - expect weekends to be crowded! Fish boils are worth experiencing (once!) to say you did it.

Sounds like it is worth the drive! thanks!!!

mac_camper

Mar 8, 2012
Our favorite campground anywhere is Wagon Trail Campground in Ellison Bay close to Rowley's Bay. It is out of the way, very quiet and no pool. Fisherman frequent this place so you can purchase fresh salmon from some and have over the fire at night. The cleanest and roomiest bathroom and shower stalls anywhere. There are trees between each site and I have witnessed the nicest most respectful campers of anywhere else we have seen. Great place. We are heading up there in two weeks.

We also visit Whitefish Dunes (great beach), Peninsula State Park (bike trails), and Ice Cream Factory in Fish Creek. We also love the Skyway Drive-in Theater which seems to be one of the few remaining in our midwest states.

Have a wonderful summer camping season.

Lisa0nly

Lifelong Camper
Aug 5, 2011
SE Wisconsin
Just returned from a week on the penisula. We had a reservation @ Beantown Campground [:(O]. AVOID this!! RV parking lot, will be nice in 15-20 years [:D]

We happened into Bailey's Grove Campground and RV Resort. WONDERFUL!! We plan on returning next year for the Fourth. :)

A trip to Washington Island via the ferry, pricey but worth the trip.
Contact DC tourism, you can have TONS of information sent to you. We have a tween, so mini-golf, go carts were his choices. Lighthouse cruises [again pricey were mine and DH]. We set record highs for the area last week. Now is the height of 'tourism'. All places are pricey. I highly recommend Summer Kitchen - best soups!! Been there at least 37 yrs[the last time I ate there [LOL]]
Bailey's Harbor has a nice public beach and the state parks are very nice, but crowded.

Pack patience!! [2C] Enjoy the island!![See a map, it's actually an island not a true penisula!!]

Steph

We just got back from Door County. This was our annual fishing trip. On the boat at 3:30 am and back in harbor at noon. We got 15 nice fish this year; 11 Salmon, 3 Rainbow Trout, 1 Lake Trout. I have my date set for next year! We don't camp when there, but always take a drive up the peninsula to our favorite places.

The guy who owns the house that we stay at put on a fish boil for us this year. EXCELLENT!

Glad all of you had a good time there!