Testing AA Batteries: Dollar Stores vs. Major Brands

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
in this day and age, there is really no need to buy single use batteries. name brand rechargeable AA and AAAs are a good investment and last for 100s of cycles...

Rechargeables are a pessimal solution for remote controls, smoke detectors, CO detectors, and flash lights that get infrequent use (unless the infrequently used flashlights have lithium ion rechargeables).

There are legitimate uses for disposable batteries. Rechargeables lose charge over time, so are not good for devices that are very low load (such as remote controls or smoke detectors), and devices that are pressed into service only occasionally (like an emergency use flashlight).

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
My theory on dollar stuff is its outdated or rejects...or missing something when it was produced....But i still shop there
from time to time for paper plates and cups etc for camping.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
I had an X-girl friend who had to replace batteries in her television's remote control like every week. I told her to stop buying them at the Dollar Store.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
Rechargeables are a pessimal solution for remote controls, smoke detectors, CO detectors, and flash lights that get infrequent use (unless the infrequently used flashlights have lithium ion rechargeables).

There are legitimate uses for disposable batteries. Rechargeables lose charge over time, so are not good for devices that are very low load (such as remote controls or smoke detectors), and devices that are pressed into service only occasionally (like an emergency use flashlight).
So are alkalines. Non rechargeable Lithium is the way to go. Imagine never changing the remote batteries for the life of your TV.. (assuming you dont keep your tv for more than 10 years).

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
So are alkalines. Non rechargeable Lithium is the way to go. Imagine never changing the remote batteries for the life of your TV.. (assuming you dont keep your tv for more than 10 years).
Just have some kids like my parents did. They didn't even have remotes back then on the dial tvs. I would have to get up and change the channel and ajust it so it was clear. So, kids were the first remote.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
I have been using Sunbeam brand from Dollar Tree in several different remotes for years. I have never had to change batteries frequently.