The Best Cast Iron Skillet?

silvermickey2002

Morris County, NJ
Sep 11, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Nice review! I have several Lodge pans, griddles and a 12 qrt Dutch Oven. I have used Wagner and Griswald pans and their cooking surface is smoother. But they were both at least 75 years old if not older. As for the prices they talked about on the video, wow, other than the lodge, they were expensive! I have both a Lodge 10" and two 12" frying pans. And I love using them! I also have a Lodge large griddle and smaller griddle I use on occasion. Yeah, the lodges are a bit heavier, but I feel they have more metal which gives a more even heat.

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
I agree. A heavy cast iron frying pan is not a bad thing. I have a very old pan my father received when he was young. Its been re-seasoned but never smoothed. It's as rough as a present Lodge. If it is seasoned properly there is absolutely no problem.

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
It's been a couple decades since I could find great old cast iron at a garage sale or antique shop. Nowadays everyone seems to know the market.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I think the logo is from 1920s to 1930s. So, maybe not 100 years yet. But who knows.

rabird

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
CI.jpg
my favorite, handle still shows signs of shiny plating.
my DO is older and has a handle
my daily use '8' was given to me unused and rusted, several days - battery charger and piece of rebar in softened water and it looked brand new.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
View attachment 80593
my daily use '8' was given to me unused and rusted, several days - battery charger and piece of rebar in softened water and it looked brand new.
Makes mine look bad, lol. I should clean it , but the inside is so nice!

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
And , i dont clean mine well, some water and a paper towel. Then leave it on the stove upsidesown to dry.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
View attachment 80593

We have one like this that belonged to my grandma. She died in 1958.

silvermickey2002

Morris County, NJ
Sep 11, 2008
Morris County, NJ
I have a brush and one of those plastic scrapers to clean it. A little hot water and it comes clean. I dry it off and put it on the stove to dry. The next day I will oil it with canola oil and then gets put away.

Once in a blue moon (depending what I am cooking) I will wash it with soap and water (yeah, I know)...but then it gets rinsed very well and then I will turn the oven on to 350 and let it get to temp and then turn it off and stick the pan in there overnight to dry. In the morning I give it a coating of canola oil.

silvermickey2002

Morris County, NJ
Sep 11, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Before putting a coat of oil on it, I want to make sure it's dry!! You don't want to oil it before it's dry. Remember, the cast iron does have pores in it. You don't want to trap the moisture in there.