The fuse on the converter keeps blowing

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Ok now i am confusing the threads. Lol. Does it work on Shore Power ? Or battery power or is it both the same results.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
the light gets power from the converter. it does not idicate the battery fuse is an issue.
Thats what i am saying. If on battery power the light would still light right? If the power dosent gonthrough the battery fuse then thats good? Or does the battery power not light the light?

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
You need to start at the battery and battery connections. The main battery fuse blowing (at the tongue) will greatly help in isolating the problem.

Andy6

Aug 3, 2022
Winnipeg, Canada
Thats what i am saying. If on battery power the light would still light right? If the power dosent gonthrough the battery fuse then thats good? Or does the battery power not light the light?
The LED will illuminate on battery or Shore Power, all that the converter does is supply 12 volts (up to 14.4) onto the same connections as the battery. They basically work side by side.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
That red LED is simply an indicator that the fuse has blown, as others have mentioned. There are 4 red LEDs there, ea one corresponding to the 4 DC branch circuits 1 to 4.

You must have a dead short somewhere in circuit #1 to blow immediately like that.

On the cover of the converter will hopefully be a listing of what each breaker (120VAC circuit) corresponds to, and what ea fuse (12VDC) corresponds to.

If you can find out what is powered by that circuit (DC circuit#1), that would be a good first step.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
The LED will illuminate on battery or Shore Power, all that the converter does is supply 12 volts (up to 14.4) onto the same connections as the battery. They basically work side by side.
I know how it works. if they try it on battery power and the light illuminates then the fuse at the battery is good. Otherwise power would not get through to light the led in the converter.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
That red LED is simply an indicator that the fuse has blown, as others have mentioned. There are 4 red LEDs there, ea one corresponding to the 4 DC branch circuits 1 to 4.

You must have a dead short somewhere in circuit #1 to blow immediately like that.

On the cover of the converter will hopefully be a listing of what each breaker (120VAC circuit) corresponds to, and what ea fuse (12VDC) corresponds to.

If you can find out what is powered by that circuit (DC circuit#1), that would be a good first step.
You sure it isnt that the two ends are touching ( in the picture) and when they put the fuse in its creating a arc and blowing the fuse? I would rule that out first. But otherwise, like I said see what the load is on the circuit.

Baron

Aug 3, 2022
And if the fuse on the battery was blown , how would the light get power on the converter? Lol.
That's right. SOmetimes they both blow and the light goes off. It's only on when the fuse at the battery is ok.

NMroamer

Super Active Member
Apr 21, 2016
Albuquerque NM
This is what happened. I thought perhaps that the battery was low and plugged in a battery charger while it was plugged in to 120 AC line. After that the fuse blows every time I put it in.
If your convertor has a battery charging circuit, you are attempting to charge the battery from two different sources.
Not good, either way never try to charge the battery from a separate source while plugged into Shore Power.

Baron

Aug 3, 2022
Hey!!! Thanks for all the advice and concern.
Problem solved. I took the battery off. Cleaned it thoroughly. It was a mess. Then When it came to putting it back on I tested the line that was attached to the positive. It showed a connection on my multimeter to the frame. The other one did not. So I remembered all the advice and realized that the cables were reversed. I put them on and wallaah. The power came on when I put a fuse in and it didn't short out. So, thank you. NMroamer gets the prize. But you all gave great advice and made me look at many things.

Bowman3d

Super Active Member
Apr 13, 2015
LaLa land (SoCal)
Wiring on a pup can be confusing. Our Fleetwood is wired like house hold wiring even the 12v. The black which would be ground on an automobile is the hot lead on my pup. The white is ground. Not all pups have the same wire colors so not sure what wires Flagstaff uses. Glad you sorted out the problem, now get out there and go camping summers almost over

Baron

Aug 3, 2022
Wiring on a pup can be confusing. Our Fleetwood is wired like house hold wiring even the 12v. The black which would be ground on an automobile is the hot lead on my pup. The white is ground. Not all pups have the same wire colors so not sure what wires Flagstaff uses. Glad you sorted out the problem, now get out there and go camping summers almost over
Thanks. We're going to Banff etc. for 2 weeks.

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
Hey!!! Thanks for all the advice and concern.
Problem solved. I took the battery off. Cleaned it thoroughly. It was a mess. Then When it came to putting it back on I tested the line that was attached to the positive. It showed a connection on my multimeter to the frame. The other one did not. So I remembered all the advice and realized that the cables were reversed. I put them on and wallaah. The power came on when I put a fuse in and it didn't short out. So, thank you. NMroamer gets the prize. But you all gave great advice and made me look at many things.
Now tag/mark/paint the cables so they will go on correctly the next time. The positive terminal wires going to the positive terminal should have be all the same color and a fuse or circuit breaker inline for protection. The feed wire for the breakaway switch usually is mounted directly to the battery.
Older campers used a black markings for the positive wires and white for the negative/ground wires.
Newer campers may used red for the positive wires and black for the negative/ground wires. Use one or the other markings but not both.