The "not so dark", dark side - KZ Escape Hatch

Annunzi

Just saw an ad for new line of KZ Escape Hatch trailers, that have a big hatch opening at the rear of the trailer. I like the idea of this, as one of the biggest drawbacks for us when considering a hardwall trailer, was the lack of windows and natural light. Opening up the rear hatch certainly solves that issue! Would also be helpful for storing larger non-motorized items like bikes/kayaks.

1656431568379.png 1656431612167.png

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Reactions: NLB

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Wow. I love it. Not to crazy about the cramped middle part but love the back hatch. I can so see myself use that and the dogs would be in heaven watching for squirrels from inside. Having the hatch open up top gives me the ability to keep it open even in the rain. This is a huge plus to the dark claustrophobic feel I felt when in my parents camper. Thanks for sharing.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
My dog pretends he can't see screens when it fits his needs. :)

I do like the open aspect of toyhaulers in general. We need more small ones.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
My dog pretends he can't see screens when it fits his needs. :)
I can relate, as my home screen door can attest to. 😜. They haven't touched my bunk screens in my popup, thank goodness, but it's easier to watch them. If I went this route I would probably have to buy some plexiglass or something for bottom 6 inches of that opening. At least slow them down if a squirrel wanted to "play catch me if you can".

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
How are the reviews...neat concept for sure; wonder if the awning will KoK (had to misspell lol, correct spelling not allowed) a tad to one side during rain. We looked at a Geo Pro & No Boundaries, this one looks more functional, wouldn't hurt to check one out...

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
Is the only difference between this and a typical small TH the top location of the rear door hinge? The video suggests it's revolutionary but as far as I can tell, that's it (if even THAT is new).

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
How are the reviews...neat concept for sure; wonder if the awning will KoK (had to misspell lol, correct spelling not allowed) a tad to one side during rain. We looked at a Geo Pro & No Boundaries, this one looks more functional, wouldn't hurt to check one out...
You mean the way an awning cox to one side?? Just had to try it [:D]

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
That really is a neat concept… doubt it would work well for me however… I do quite a bit of cool weather camping and usually back right up to woods (aka a foot or two from trees).

kudzu

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 20, 2014
Knee deep in kudzu
Coachmen's Apex Nano line has a version with a big window in back. https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/apex-nano/17TH/5990

The big window would be really nice. We enjoy the wide open feeling when the ramp is down in my trailer. It gives us an entire wall of screen, but when the ramp is closed you're stuck with a big black wall. Though the huge pleated shade on that Apex's hatch door window is just begging to be mangled. The small one on my trailer was deformed by the wind on the first trip and hasn't worked right since. So many ways that big one is going to get ruined.

Annunzi

Coachmen's Apex Nano line has a version with a big window in back. https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/apex-nano/17TH/5990

The big window would be really nice. We enjoy the wide open feeling when the ramp is down in my trailer. It gives us an entire wall of screen, but when the ramp is closed you're stuck with a big black wall. Though the huge pleated shade on that Apex's hatch door window is just begging to be mangled. The small one on my trailer was deformed by the wind on the first trip and hasn't worked right since. So many ways that big one is going to get ruined.
I really like the giant window in the back of the Apex Nano, you'd get a tonne of light even without opening the back door. Plus it has a bigger sink and flat cooktop, which the KZ unit doesn't have. The only issue for us would be the east/west front bed, rather than north/south in the KZ. Does anyone have a good system for crawling over/around their partner for middle of the night pee breaks?

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
good system for crawling over/around their partner for middle of the night pee breaks?
We use rubber sheets & Bounty paper towels for easy clean up so nobody gets woke up...not really, it's an accepted fact that something's gonna wake one or both of us up lol