They've added SCUBA to this section! Divers roll call!

Hoomi

I write everything the voices in my head tell me.
Jul 20, 2012
We took the old P'up to Mexico for our Cert Dive trip, and have been certified divers for a little over 4 years now. Heading back down to Mexico in less than a month, though without the P'up. They've made it much more inconvenient to take trailers into Mexico, and the road to the beach really beat the daylights out of our old P'up.

Who else dives?

BelchFire

I speak fluent vise-grip
Mar 29, 2012
SE Georgia
I could go for a 3-way compressor!

Been certified since 1990, but I seldom dive now. Too much life in the way. Don't get me wrong, it is a GREAT hobby, but leans toward expensive when you live in South Georgia -- you have to travel to find anything clearer than the mud we have off the Georgia coast. Plus, DW and DS1 & 2 aren't certified so scuba seems like a selfish hobby. Camping is much more family friendly for us.

Sure would like to spend a week diving some springs around central-upper Florida in the p'up; that would be an AWESOME summer vacation. [CP]

Camp-N-Nuts

KrustyKamper
Aug 9, 2011
Central WI
I 1st tried scuba diving in the early 60's and had my own equipment a couple years after (Heathways, 2-hose w/Hope-Page,single-stage). My 1st diving was in Lake Geneva,WI...very clear at that time. Later regulator was 2-stage, single-hose, down-stream U.S.Divers. [:D] Miss it...haven't dived in years! [:(]

Had one close-call under the ice at Racine quarry! [:O] Got lost for about 10 minutes! [{:)]

Dave90210

Feb 20, 2012
Certified for about 10 yrs, finally got to do some diving in last few years. Most incredible experience I've ever had. Cool to see a SCUBA section here.

theonlytina

Jun 9, 2011
My husband & I dive but have not combined w camping ....just got cheap tickets to Ft Lauderdale in early Oct. We are from Baltimore so we are going to see the Ravens game & do some diving. Would take any recd for places to dive!

mcbrew

Super Active Member
May 22, 2013
I dive... my wife does not (yet). We used to take our RV to Lake Rawlings in VA for fun and to check out the gear after seasonal tune-ups. I used to go down there with my brother, who has dive master certification. He would help teach classes for one of the local dive shops. I stopped at rescue diver certification because I didn't want to turn my hobby into work.

My brother and I will be going down to Bonaire for a week of diving in July. Can't figure out how to get the pup down there, though...

wapwap

Aug 15, 2011
Diver here too! Been certified for about 12 years, but haven't been diving since about two months before I found out I was preggers with DS. That's about 4 years ago! When DS gets older, and if he shows an interest, DH and DS will get certified. Then off we go! [:D]

Edited because I have fat fingers today...

Fleetwood Max

Aug 14, 2005
St Louis. Mo
[:D] Here to.. Took my open water dive at a strip pit called Oronogo. It is now i think, a piece of Joplin Mo...I did this on a cool morning on Dec..20 something,, back in 1976... And yes, SCUBA Had been invented back then.... [:D]

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
Did a one day dive to about 30 feet in the Dominican a few years ago. Had a reasonably good time. Dang mask won't seal around my mustache though, so it kept filling full of water. Also, have to take eye glasses off, so I was blind as a bat. Other than that, thumbs up. If I were to get cert. I'd have to get a full face mask or??? that would fit over glasses or have prescription lens in it, (contact lenses are not an option). We also do mostly snorkeling. Love feeding the fish bread and bananas and taping it on DS's go-pro.

BelchFire

I speak fluent vise-grip
Mar 29, 2012
SE Georgia
Wrenchgear said:
<snip>
Dang mask won't seal around my mustache though, so it kept filling full of water.
<snip>
If I were to get cert. I'd have to get a full face mask or??? that would fit over glasses or have prescription lens in it, (contact lenses are not an option).
<snip>
I wear a mustache and don't have much problem when I lube my cookie duster with vaseline before the dive. I keep the pocket tubes (for lip balm) in my BC and lube up every time I put the mask on. If you get a little practice doing this, you shouldn't have much problem. Plus, a little positive air pressure from your nose will help keep the water out.

You can buy stick-on reading lenses if you're hyperopic; I am, and they work for me. You can also buy masks with reading panes ground into them, but I prefer the stick-ons so I can move them and even change them out if/when my vision changes. If that's not the case for you, you can buy prescription lenses for higher-end masks, but you have to buy the mask knowing that up front. Of course, they can provide you with a hyperopic lens or a myopic lens. Your Optometrist should have options. If not, just get a copy of your prescription and google prescription diving masks.

Wrenchgear, I wish diving weren't so expensive; I'd certify my whole family. It's a LOAD of fun and everyone I know of that's ever tried it has enjoyed it except for two people who are claustrophobic. But then, they wouldn't be camping in a popup if they were, huh? [;)]

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
Thanks man.... I've never heard of the vaseline on the duster trick. I'll try that next out snorkeling. I've heard about the higher end masks with the prescription lenses in them, but I think thats out of my league for what I need. The stick on lenses sound exactly like what I would need, if they have them for close sightedness. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for all the info.

BelchFire

I speak fluent vise-grip
Mar 29, 2012
SE Georgia
Camp-N-Nuts said:
<snip>
Many, many years ago there was company that sold mask lenses with different curvatures that would correct your vision with the water acting/aiding the refraction! [8D] Don't know what happened to that company!
<snip>
I don't know if this is what you're remembering or not; it's not "many many years" old. It's not a candidate for Wrenchgear because it requires contacts that actually distort your vision in order to have a clear picture underwater; the mask itself has a 4.5 dipoter distortion so unless you're TERRIBLY nearsighted already, you'd need to wear contacts to make you nearsighted so when you're wearing the mask you can see clearly. Those people who have and/or can wear it swear that it's an incredible view. However, I'm farsighted and I would need contacts to make it work for me.
HydroOptix 4.5DD mask
Here's the vision fit chart.

TwistedElvis

Jun 4, 2009
San Diego, CA
I got Certified in the 80's and got my PADI Dive master in 1990 I also worked for US DIVERS for several years in the repair department! I tend to go out 6+ times a month. Been diving rebreathers a lot in the past year :)

Camp-N-Nuts

KrustyKamper
Aug 9, 2011
Central WI
TwistedElvis said:
I also worked for US DIVERS for several years in the repair department!
I understood US Divers (the original "Aqua-Lung") sub-contracted and actually made nothing. (like many companies do) I knew someone who worked for Bastion/Blessing (Chgo) that made their regulators. [?:~{]

TwistedElvis

Jun 4, 2009
San Diego, CA
US Divers /Aqua-Lung made nothing in the US while I was with them . maybe small parts? Until they acquired Sea Quest in the mid 90's then they made BCD's till about 2000? and then the BCD manufacturing went to Mexico.
I have no idea on what they made in the old Santa Ana location as that was before my time!
I don't think any large scuba manufacture makes there own products?