Tires for pop-up

a67mikey

Feb 28, 2022
Hey there fellow campers. Question about tires for our 1997 Fleetwood pop-up; what are the best tires/ size/ brand and trailer or passenger? Looking forward to sharing our adventures. MandY

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Hey there fellow campers. Question about tires for our 1997 Fleetwood pop-up; what are the best tires/ size/ brand and trailer or passenger? Looking forward to sharing our adventures. MandY
Depends on many factors and weight of the camper. So we are going to need more information about your camper. What is already on your camper? With popups you really can't change size much as you are limited to what can fit in the wheel well and lug nuts etc. Load range is usually based on the weight of the camper. Radials vrs bias ply can usually be a personal preference and road surface you see yourself on more. Wanted to add, you need to look at ST tires. Regular car or truck tires are not designed for the stress trailer tires face.

Last edited:

a67mikey

Feb 28, 2022
Std weight. No extras. More concerned with trailer tires versus passenger tires. Was not planning on changing size. Just curious about best brands and the trailer/passenger factor.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
You can only use st tires. Not p tires. Otherwise lt tires, but you can put them on the pup. Then look at weight rating, all campers are diffrent, then bias vs radial tires. Finally the speed rating of the tire. There is more to it then my pop up needs tires and its std weight. How you use it and where you go matter.

PopAnimal

Oct 26, 2022
Southern New Mexico
Time to refresh this thread. I have ST185/80/D13's right now on my '99 Coleman Niagara, I want to upgrade to 14's for more ground clearance. The dry camp/docking I intend to do is down FS roads (good and not so manicured at times) and nothing crazy like loggers, but there are dips and some ruts that could bottom out axle and such. I did an axle flip, so I have even more wheel well room. I'm mostly looking at clearance. Big questions are: I'd love to stay in the D rating, but would an all weather (if that exists in a PUC style) make any difference in not getting stuck, or is that all TV? Do D rated 14's exist? Running about 23-2600#'s lets say, not going to ever fill water tanks ,but figure with supplies (maybe over weighed , but I do that) Would LT's be a better choice? Thats whats on TV. Sorry if this is in the wrong area, or has been covered before in another thread, I just grabbed the first one I could find.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Well 2 c load tires are like 3600 lbs, then subtract the toung wright for your camper. So, the load looks fine. Getting stuck is mostly on the TV. If you want a more rugged tire go for a bais , but you will sacrifice a smoother ride and tracking on the road. Look at e trailor, or ask them on thier site. They are pretty good.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
They have a chart to mesure that on thier site. TBH , I do not know. I messsured mine and matched them to the specs they had listed. Or you can call and they will match them up if you messure yours.